Load DataLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Chase patch

Boolit Bub

Chase patch

I have a question about the Chase patch, do you patch to bore diameter or to grove? Thanks for your answer, Hank

Both. Used in muzzle loaders, you patch to bore because otherwise you can't load it. Used with cartridges, it is typically used for breech seating. So you would have the barrel throated for it, and it will just fit in the throat. Doesn't work too well in fixed ammunition, the patch will come off as it's fired.

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Both. Used in muzzle loaders, you patch to bore because otherwise you can't load it. Used with cartridges, it is typically used for breech seating. So you would have the barrel throated for it, and it will just fit in the throat. Doesn't work too well in fixed ammunition, the patch will come off as it's fired.

-Nobade
    you know from experience? just askin... it's somthin I alaways wanted to try as an alternative to regular pp'ing
    have not gotton to it yet
    does the bullet jump out of the patch at the start or just somewhere in the bore?
    tx

Boolit Master
    With the Chase system, your patch is rectangular, and wraps just once around the boolit, with the ends of the paper butting together. You wrap the patch around the boolit, place the assembly in your breech seater, seat the patched boolit into the rifling, insert primed case with black powder and wad, and shoot. As far as I know, the patch is not folded over the base of the boolit, and the boolit is bore diameter.

D.F.L. Chase was one of the handful of people to make a ten-shot possible on the Standard American Target at 200 yards, and this is the system he used. However, it is pretty much a benchrest proposition, what with all the cleaning and bore preparation, de- and repriming/reloading the case and the patching of the boolits just prior to use.

Boolit Master
    It is. A conventional double-layer patched bullet can be inserted with a certain amount of engagement with the rifling, especially if a false muzzle and bullet starter is used, and a lubed lead bullet of full groove diameter. I got pretty good results with a double muzzle loader in which my false muzzle simply located by a pin entering the other barrel, and could rotate around it. But with a Chase-patched muzzle loader it must be a smooth running fit. I wouldn't risk it with a rifle that couldn't be wiped out after every shot.