Load DataSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: .45-70 low base load imr 4198

Boolit Mold

.45-70 low base load imr 4198

Have meister 300 grn lrnfp hard cast bullets and imr 4198 powder, will be using "shiloh sharpes" 30" and 1886 winchester modern (miroku) 26" barrel. looking for a good low base load 1400 to 1600 fps for target. Anyone tested this combo with good results or ideas, thank you for the help. Captain Lewis

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by 8185854610 View Post
    Have meister 300 grn lrnfp hard cast bullets and imr 4198 powder, will be using "shiloh sharpes" 30" and 1886 winchester modern (miroku) 26" barrel. looking for a good low base load 1400 to 1600 fps for target. Anyone tested this combo with good results or ideas, thank you for the help. Captain Lewis
    ..................Hey Cap! With that slug (actually I cast both the RCBS and Lyman 300 gr slugs) a good and very pleasant load I like is 28.0 grs + dacron and any std primer. Truth to tell there are lots of good loads for the 45-70 with powders in that burn rate area. SR4759, any 4227 work great too.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Boolit Master
    After trying several loads with 4198 and finding them position sensitive I tried RL7. It worked but I had to shoot faster than I wanted to get past the same position sensitive problem which kicked more than what I wanted for target work. I finally settled on 5744. It's a dirty burn but if you ignore that it shoots better than anything I've tried so far. It's not position sensitive, you don't need any filler or mag primers. I use it now for both my 500 and 350 gr. loads in both my wife's .45-70 and mine, also. At 23 1/2 gr. with the 500 gr. it gets 1180 FPS and using 28 gr. with the 350 it gets 1420 FPS, both with MOA accuracy.

22gr is a good plinker.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Master
    If you want cheap plining load try Unique at 15 gr. I will also second the 5744 load. My favoite load is a little hotter I use 29 gr. and a 300 gr TC cast boolit. This load works great for 200 yard Cowboy shoots.

Boolit Mold
    I shoot 25gr. 2400 in my Browning 86 shoots clean 1520fps easy on gun easy on shooter 300gr-325gr boolits