Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxMCD ProductsReloading Everything

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Closer to Moving Back to America

Boolit Bub

Well my 2 cents I live in louisiana I have lived other states, Wisconsin Dacota Minn Michigam, La. has homestead exempt ( no taxes 78,000 value) but, roads are bad. Arkansas would be mycup of tea just saying

Boolit Master
    If I had the money, I'd probably be going to Idaho. I like the mountains, forests and lakes, pretty conservative/Constitutionally aware, but I can't afford as much as I want there. Even though Texas holds a strong draw for me and Arizona has the best gun laws (Constitutional carry), I will not settle in a border State. They will all, even Texas, succumb to the illegal alien invasion. The criminal aliens flood across the border, squeeze out a bevy of babies (that they don't pay for) who all become Democrats. In another 20 to 30 years Texas will be controlled by liberals. Another 50 to 60 and it will be another California.
    I hope the Texans can forgive me for saying that, but because the federal government, be they Republicans or Demtards, refuse to act in the best interest of John and Jane Q. Citizen and enforce immigration laws, the handwriting is on the wall.

Because we'll be surviving on a very modest monthly income, we'll pay cash for the property, upgrades, enhanced security, livestock, etc., then sock away at least 6 figures for investment income and emergencies. We're hoping to put in at least 5 to 10 acres of orchard which will hopefully generate enough income to offset property taxes, insurance and maybe some utility bills. Hope to have 3 to 6 head of cattle, maybe some swine (no not FineSwine), goats, chickens and/or guineas. Also, nurture the local wildlife and hopefully harvest a little now and then.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    I don't really care for hard winters anymore. When I was young I lived to get to hunt in 15F .
    The older I get the less I like the cold.. Shoveling snow is not my thing..
    So the only way I would do Montana is like my cousin .Live there for half the year..

Boolit Master
    Have lived in La. all my adult life. Nice place, good folks, great food. The climate isn't too bad, summer is HOT and humidity is high. Other than that good place to live. Having said that I don't think I would live North of the Mason Dixon line. (just me)
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Come to Texas. We do have a income tax but no state tax. And the only thing liberal here is the gun laws.
    Liberal gun laws?

They've been adding a lot of pro gun laws to the books over the last few years. The only major thing we have is a "no open carry" law and that's probably going to be gone soon.

Banned

He means liberal as in relaxed, good gun laws

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    That makes more sense.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Come to Texas. We do have a income tax but no state tax. And the only thing liberal here is the gun laws.
    Actually, we have no state income tax, but we have sales tax and property taxes to make up for it. If you are retired and are just living off the money you have saved up, having a state income tax and minimal property tax would be preferable. When I last lived in Louisiana, my property was appraised at over $300K, but I did not have to pay very much in property taxes per year -- around $1K, IIRC. In Texas, that same $300K would probably result in $7-10K per year in property taxes. Some states have taxes on investment income, some don't. If you have a lot of your retirement savings in stocks, this could be a major concern. The government has a system in place that allows them to separate you from your hard earned money. Whether the state has a state income tax or not, the state is going to be coming for your money, one way or the other.

With respect to Texas gun laws though, let's just say that they are getting better. We're slowly throwing off the last vestiges of the Yankee Occupation after the War of Northern Aggression.

Boolit Master

Good on you for escaping the cesspool.

If you can take the cold, South Dakota is nice. I retired here going onto seven years ago and love it.

In many ways it's still 1950 here. No state income tax, four percent sales tax, low property taxes. Housing in most places is cheap.

Farm land is not cheap, seven to eight thousand an acre.

As I type this it's a couple of degrees below zero and that may not suit y'all.

Excellent gun laws. We're working on Constitutional Carry. Until then your permit costs $10 for five years. After you fill out the form, (no pics, no fingerprints, no training required) the sheriff hands you your temporary permit. You get treated like an honest citizen, not a criminal.

Good luck with wherever you end up.

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master

I like sodak it's cheap but as catshooter said winter can be brutal. Although I believe rapid city is a bit more moderate in the winter. I have family and friends in the foothills and it's great 8 months a year.

When folks started moving west from Virginia, George, Tennessee and the Carolinas before the Civil War, those that could not read stopped in Arkansas. Those that could read came on to Texas. At least that is what I was told by the old timers.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

In Remembrance
    If you are drawn to Mo and Ar, do not discount north east Ok. I always thought Anderson Mo and the surrounding area, was some beautiful country.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    When folks started moving west from Virginia, George, Tennessee and the Carolinas before the Civil War, those that could not read stopped in Arkansas. Those that could read came on to Texas. At least that is what I was told by the old timers.

Hay, I resemmble that. I cun read, just cant spel.

Winelover (Mich-e-gun transplant)

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    Thank you.

Boolit Buddy
    CharGar... my father was born in OK, but his older brother was born in "IT" (Tishomingo, to be exact) Hugo is the old capital of the Choctaw Nation. Apparently we've wandered far from home...

Boolit Master

Hoping when I am able to retire I'll still have one more move in me.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    If I had the money, I'd probably be going to Idaho. I like the mountains, forests and lakes, pretty conservative/Constitutionally aware, but I can't afford as much as I want there. Even though Texas holds a strong draw for me and Arizona has the best gun laws (Constitutional carry), I will not settle in a border State. They will all, even Texas, succumb to the illegal alien invasion. The criminal aliens flood across the border, squeeze out a bevy of babies (that they don't pay for) who all become Democrats. In another 20 to 30 years Texas will be controlled by liberals. Another 50 to 60 and it will be another California.
    I hope the Texans can forgive me for saying that, but because the federal government, be they Republicans or Demtards, refuse to act in the best interest of John and Jane Q. Citizen and enforce immigration laws, the handwriting is on the wall.

smokeywolf
    You are allowing your ideology and perception over rule reality and common sense. No such thing will happen in Texas. You are sitting in California with no substantial experience with Texas or it's people. You are making judgments about Texas without nothing to base that on other than what is in your head. If you are so locked into a way of thinking that excludes reality, then Texas indeed is not the place for you.

Go to Idaho and freeze your *** off! One winter there will show you the error in your thinking. How do I know? I spent a winter in Idaho!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    You are allowing your ideology and perception over rule reality and common sense. No such thing will happen in Texas. You are sitting in California with no substantial experience with Texas or it's people. You are making judgments about Texas without nothing to base that on other than what is in your head. If you are so locked into a way of thinking that excludes reality, then Texas indeed is not the place for you.
    Exactly. Obama and the Dems might welcome the illegal invasion, but Texas responded with gunboats and more manpower. Texas is nothing like California as far as politics go. We don't ban guns and treat gun owners like criminals, we don't tell children to stop wearing clothes with the American flag on them to school because it offends the Mexicans, and we certainly don't allow illegal aliens to just waltz over here freely.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 03-08-2015 at 12:37 AM.

Boolit Master

Now that is how a border should be patrolled.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    The Mountain Home area is nice, but pretty built up from what it was 40 years ago when I first started going there. Good place to retire...good hospital and lots of doctors. Also lots of retirees.

My wife and I go back and float/fish the White River every fall during the autumn colors.