WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox

Thread: Having Fits Soldering a Front Sight on a Uberti SA

Having Fits Soldering a Front Sight on a Uberti SA

Like the subject line says...I'm using one of the blue bottle plumbers torches. I've fluxed and tinned both the bottom of the sight and the slot in the barrel, but can't seem to get everything hot enough when I put the sight in the slot. The solder will meld it appears at the very front edge of the sight, but the bond breaks easily. Funny thing is I've done this twice before; once on the same revolver (removed too much material when regulating the first sight ) and on another Uberti.

Should I be using one of the hotter torches such as the yellow bottle MAP gas variety?

Thanks,

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    The type of solder can make a difference, I use silver solder as it melts at a lower temp. I use map gas but very carefully so as not to get it to hot.
    jim

Thanks for the reply. I bought this solder "kit" either from Brownell's or Midway and I've almost positive it was advertised as low temp solder. Came in a little clear bottle with a bottle of flux and a coil of solder.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Vendor Sponsor

Probably not getting it hot enough. Heat will "pull" solder towards it. You will see the solder when you got it hot enough. What kit did you get?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Is this a stainless steel pistol?
    If Obummer is the answer, How stupid was the question?

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. -----Ronald Reagan

Buy one of the yellow bottles of Mapp gas for the soldering. Runs hotter than the straight blue bottles.

Also don't be afraid to turn that torch up, and remember that heat rises! So torch flame should be below barrel, when you see the solder draw, chances are your good.

Boolit Master
    yellow is hotter I only use yellow any more for everything.
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Master

Silver solder is the way, use a heat sink on the muzzle.
    Gun control is not about guns.

Boolit Grand Master

Coat the inside of the barrel with soot to keep it from scaling.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by koehn,jim View Post
    The type of solder can make a difference, I use silver solder as it melts at a lower temp. I use map gas but very carefully so as not to get it to hot.
    ??? Silver solder is a high temp solder, nearly like brazing! Did you mean "silver-bearing" solder? Plain soft solder should be adequate, but I use Stay-Silv which is a silver bearing solder and does make a strong joint. You need to heat the barrel up (most mass) to the melting temp of the solder and the sight should then also be at temp. I would train the flame tip at the muzzle end of the barrel, even into the end of the barrel. Good luck!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master

Mapp gas is not what it once was, not by a long shot, but the manufacturers have done a pretty good job of playing on the old Mapp reputation and getting people to pay enormous prices for what is essentially just Propylene. Real Mapp was discontinued in 2008 because one of the ingredients was somewhat scarce (meaning expensive) and was much more profitable for use in making plastics rather than the limited market for this gas. It was replaced with Map-Pro but the labeling manages to get both of the "P"s in the name to make the customer think "Mapp", in reality however it is simply 95% Propylene and 5% Propane as opposed to real Mapp which was a mixture of Propylene, Methy Acetylene and Propadiene. A propane torch can burn to around 3600 deg F (Turbo torch) while the Mapp pro, according the BernzOmatic site, at about 3730 deg F so only about 130 deg hotter. Map-Pro burns about the same as Propylene but the Propylene is a heck of a lot cheaper (as the Map-Pro should be!), unfortunately there is a heck of a lot of difference between Mapp and Map (Pro)!

Of course that 130 deg can sometimes make the difference (and sometimes not!) but it just gripes me that the manufacturers get away with selling what's essentially just Propylene for such an inflated price based on a play on names! Sorry for the rant but the real Mapp has been gone since 2008 and yet still the phony stuff gets promoted as if it's a whole lot hotter than Propane when it's not.

I ordered and received some of Brownells 475° solder. What a difference! Did the job in just a few minutes with the blue bottle plumbers torch and not discoloration to the barrel.
    Thanks for all the replies.

35W

NRA Life Member