MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powder Choice?

Boolit Man

Powder Choice?

I am going to be in Cabela's tomorrow and was going to pick up some powder. I am reloading 38 Special and 357 Magnum and have ordered the Lee 358-140-SWC & C358-158 SWC molds. What powders are good choices in addition to the Bullseye, Red Dot and 231 that I already have on hand?

Boolit Master

Accurate #2 for 38, IMR 4227 38 & 357, 2400 357
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Can't go too wrong with unique.

Boolit Master
    Tightgroup

Boolit Grand Master

Clays, Titegroup.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Now let me get this straight...the Cabela's by you has powder? In stock? Smokeless powder?
    You... you just walk in and...they...they...let you buy it?! And you have... choices? ***!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by therealhitman View Post
    Now let me get this straight...the Cabela's by you has powder? In stock? Smokeless powder?
    You... you just walk in and...they...they...let you buy it?! And you have... choices? ***!
    Haha, amazing huh? It is hit and miss as to what they will have, that is why I wanted to get several ideas. I guess after thinking about this a little more, I should have the 38 Special covered with what I have. Whatever I buy will be primarily for the 357 Mag loads.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by therealhitman View Post
    Fortunately I have a good friend who has a great LGS. He calls me when he gets what I need in.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

The way things are here right now, I'd just buy whatever they had and and make it work! Or just buy a gun for whatever powder they have.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

Boolit Master
    true blue for medium loads ,2400 for full power

Boolit Grand Master

2400 if you can get it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Aa5& power pistol will also work well.

Boolit Master
    Unique, Accurate Arms No. 5 & No.7, Blue Dot, 2400, Accurate Arms No.9, Accurate Arms 4100/Enforcer, H110, 4227

Ordered from faster to slower.

Unique and AA No. 5 will give you warm loads and AA No.7 along with Blue Dot a touch more. 2400 will have more flexibility to it vs other magnum powders regards to ignition however it as well as AA No.9, AA4100/Enforcer are nice choices for mid-upper to top end magnum loads. H110 will be the top of the charts and better with heavier boolits. 4227 will work but don't expect top end velocities and it would be my last choice if looking for upper end loads.

Boolit Master
    In addition to those above I would not pass up a can of Blue Dot, or either H110 or 296(if you are lucky to find some) if you are looking for full snort 357 loads. I would make a little cheat sheet of the powders that work in both so an unfamiliar powder doesn't catch you unprepared.

2400 for the 357

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all the info. I am about to go do my shopping and see what they have. After reading all this, it dawned on me that this is a similar response that you would get if you asked a bunch of guys what the best beer is. It's obviously a personal choice and there are so many choices it can make your head spin. I am taking texassako's advice and made a list, I am sure when I get there my choices will be narrowed down quickly because of what they have in stock.

Boolit Master

My favorite powders for 357 magnum are AA#9 and 2400. But don't pass up 300MP or 296 win.

There are also several powder which will work in both 357 and 38 but you will not be able to get top velocity out of the 357.
    I personally like fast burning powders such as titegroup, bullseye, AA#2, 231win for 38 specials.
    Ill keep my guns money and freedom you keep the CHANGE!!!

Boolit Master
    I was in the Charleston WV Cabela's yesterday and there were about 6 customers looking at the powder shelves and lamenting the emptiness. There was 1 1# bottle of some black powder sub. There were two 4# jugs of some little known large bore rifle charcoal stuff and another very slow burning rifle powder that nobody really wants. No .22 long rifle ammo. Only a few bricks of assorted primers. They had some new brass in a few handgun calibers. Pretty much Ole Mother Hubbard's cupboard.

prs

Boolit Grand Master
    Unique, AA#2, AA#5, WW231

Been using Unique for a long time now, 4.5 gr. Unique gives around 840 fps. Plenty pf room to go more, but it is accurate here.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by prs View Post
    I was in the Charleston WV Cabela's yesterday and there were about 6 customers looking at the powder shelves and lamenting the emptiness. There was 1 1# bottle of some black powder sub. There were two 4# jugs of some little known large bore rifle charcoal stuff and another very slow burning rifle powder that nobody really wants. No .22 long rifle ammo. Only a few bricks of assorted primers. They had some new brass in a few handgun calibers. Pretty much Ole Mother Hubbard's cupboard.

prs
    Lot of this going around. This is why I buy powder when I find it as opposed to when I need it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin