WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagan MX2-30-H

Eagan MX2-30-H

I thought I'd post a few pics that I have of the Eagan MX2-30-H since many our members seldom see any of the late Mr. Eagans work. Beautiful boolit that I have not shot enough of. Checked and lubed in my alloy, it weighs 185gr. The borerider is .301 tapering to .302 above the first band. Bands drop at .311, so it's a bit small for some of some of my Krag rifles. It seats over magazine length if I want the borerider out into the lands. OK for CBA competition but not for NRA highpower. Seats nice in my Garand though. I have tried to get the fellow who bought the cherry for a .303 version to sell it to me, but I guess he wants to keep it unto perpetuity. Casting with the mold took some fiddling with technique. First I tried pressure casting with a ladle. That gave me bullets that had spines I had to pick off. Then I tried a bottom pour pot, which worked sorta ok, but I didn't like the oxides that one invariably gets when the alloy flows through the air on its way to the mold. So I went back to the ladle, but this time using a bottom pour Rowell. With the big sprue plate hanging at an angle on the edge of the pot, I'd start the pour on it then move the flow up to the fill hole. That gave me some good bullets without spines and a minimum of oxidation. This would be a good one for NOE to duplicate in various sizes (that's a hint Al, would be happy to send samples)! I'd prefer it be nose pour, like the original. I've often wondered why NOE doesn't make some of their flatnose bullets nose pour, but at the same time I've seen that their sprue plate venting comes close to making the base just as consistent as Eagan's. The shot of the 100yd group was out of a Krag that will soon be 120yrs old, and the bullet was going 2175fps. I had mounted a 7x LER scope on my parkerized 92/96. I hope the bullet shoots as good out of my Garand!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 002.JPG   eaganmx230H 001.JPG   eaganmx230H 004.JPG   eaganmx230H 003.JPG   12364e7a438529b57.jpg  

Last edited by madsenshooter; 01-11-2015 at 02:08 AM.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

How long is the bullet, with the GC?

Frank

Vendor Sponsor

The lube. Gray 24?
    Chill Wills

1.235" with the check Frank. Lube shown or lube I shot the target with? Shown is carnauba red, I may have used a mix of LLA and Marvel Mystery Oil to shoot the target with, can't remember exactly, it was about 4yrs ago. I have the front band on that Krag fitting a bit better now, doesn't throw that first shot so wide.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master
    Eagan molds will be shooters most everytime, I'm lucky enough to have a MX-3 for the .30 cals., wish I had some of his others.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Nice write up and pictures Bob, and an excellent idea about NOE!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Thanks Rich, I've also put up a group buy discussion, see if there is any interest. MT chambers, I also have an Eagan MX3-30-AR, last one made before the dull cherry gave out, and it shoots itty bitty groups out of my K31, likes 2000fps. In addition, I have the cherries for the MX3-30-G and MX3-30-US. I need to get fixtures added to my centering vise to hold a NOE 2 cavity blank. I have a 30G Bernie Rowles of Old West made for me using my cherry, but have a problem with trapped air in it.

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master
    WOW, wouldn't it be great if AL at NOE would make this one ?

Ben

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    WOW, wouldn't it be great if AL at NOE would make this one ?

Ben
    Just go on the NOE site and ask him, or better yet put it up on the buy discussion forum with a link here.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Here is the drawing to go with it:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELCO_MX3-30H_185_gr_Sketch.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	129631

We're already in discussion at the NOE sight, need some interest, come on along! http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....pic,580.0.html

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Well I am late for the party!
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

No, not at all, Al has put up the group buy for this bullet, in various sizes! I'm excited! http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=627.0 The bullet should have many applications across the 30 caliber line up.

-Thomas Jefferson

Al has done copies of the Eagan .22 moulds albeit base pour.

What was your alloy Madsen?
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Yes, made a dandy little 6mm version of that 22 bullet for me too, but alas, I sold my 6x45. I should simply buy a .243 something and forget about this 6mm/30-40 Krag AI I have in mind. The alloy I shot the target with was a straight 23BHN lead based babbitt. A bit high in Sb, it is somewhat brittle and pressure sensitive, gives out around 36,000psi. The driving bands shatter and blow back on the neck. Al will have a .303 version available for you guys down under. I've found his basing to be just as consistent as the base on Eagan's nose pour, even across multiple cavities, whereas Eagan only did singles, as far as I know.

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Buddy
    I have an Eagan mold that I thought was the same. I got checking and my mold is stamped MX2-30. The length is 1.113" and bands are 0.309" and the nose is 0.300". The bore ridding section is about 0.360" long and the nose has a steeper taper. But is has the same whiskers as yours! Make sure that Al incorporates the whiskers.

It's in the Eagan catalog, nice bullet. I'd guess Mr. Eagan cut his vent lines for someone that didn't like turning up the temp on the pot. Triple lines! Trapped air can be a problem with smaller lines though. I have a 30G than Bernie Rowles cut for me using the cherry. His vent lines are much smaller and when pressure casting with a ladle I often get air trapped in the cavity. Nothing like a banana shaped bullet. You can hit targets two or three away from where you're aiming!

-Thomas Jefferson

.30/30 guy,
    Here is the Eagan drawing of your bullet.

Frank
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ELCO_MX2_-_30_182_gr_Sketch.Jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	130111

Boolit Master
    The fat one is tempting for .303.

Here's some bullets from another Eagan mold I have, the MX3-30-G. Well, it isn't an Eagan mold, it's an Old West mold. Bernie made me a mess that I had to go back in with the cherry and straighten out. Finally got it making some round bullets. I'm expecting some good results. The bullet is fully tapered, top band measures .301 at the top, .3025 at the bottom, next band .303 top, .304 rear, next .304 top, .305 rear, etc, until the rearmost band is .3135. Mr. Eagan's solution to lubing the little grooves was a tapered size/lube die that the bullet was pushed into nose first. Lacking one of his dies I simply double dip them in a mix of LLA, Marvel Mystery Oil and mineral spirits. It only has a little MMO, too much and the mess doesn't dry or takes an eternity. In addition to the 30G, I have the cherry for the similar 30US and hope to make a few molds with them someday. Weight of the bullet, naked, in my alloy is 198gr. Interesting little thing I noted, when the bullet is seated out to touch the rifling with the first band, my Krag and Garand come out the same OAL. There just isn't much of the bullet in the Krag case, whereas the 06 neck is full to the neck/shoulder junction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 30Gnow 002.JPG  
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 02-12-2015 at 01:54 PM.

-Thomas Jefferson