Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee Precision

View Poll Results: NIB S&W 15-4 Shoot Or No Shoot?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shoot The Daylights Out Of It

69 89.61%
  • Put It Away And Find Another One

8 10.39%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NIB S&W 15-4 Shoot or No Shoot

Boolit Master

I can tell you what I've done with my safe queens - I shot them all. And enjoyed the daylights out of each. Shoot em.....
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

I bought a NIB 15-2 snubby and paid the price for a new in the box XX year old gun. I've probably put 1,000 rounds through it and what a joy to be shooting a brand new XX year old Smith.
    Stu
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Boolit Master
    I love mine and my wife does too. We still shoot it every chance we get. Mine is not in pristine condition however.
    Old retired guy in Baton Rouge La.

Boolit Grand Master
    Personally, I believe guns should be shot.

Robert

Boolit Master

I accidentally shot a gun once and it didn't do it any good at all. I was young and my brother had set it by a fence post as we were crossing into a new pasture. A rabbit jumped out and ran down the fence line. Since my brother was safely relieving himself behind me, I let fly with a load of .410 shot right in line with my dad's model 12 Win in 16 ga. that my brother had borrowed. There are still several # 7.5 BB's imbedded in that stock! My dad was not impressed Don't shoot your firearms! .......but fire them all you want.

Boolit Grand Master

It's a gun. It has been feeling abandoned and left out and useless for a long time,
    it needs a friend to make it whole and bring it to it's full realization of potential. . . . . . .

SHOOT IT!

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    The model 15 S&W was known as the Combat Masterpiece and was the standard issue for many Police Depts. starting in the 60's. I purchased my 15-2 in that time period, maybe to around 72 IIRC. The early S&W guns that had the pinned bbls., recessed cylinders, plain adjustable sights(no white outline) are the ones that bring the higher prices at this time. The standard cylinders, and smooth faced cylinder guns are not in demand. I have shot my 15 with thousands of rounds of the standard police match rounds, 2.7 grains of BE during the 6 years I was the Firearms instructor/ Armorer for my dept. It's a standard of revolvers and a load of fun to see that X ring being shot out at the 25 yd. shooting station. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Bub
    I've seen this question come up before, in various forms, and I almost always feel the same way: use it and enjoy it. But to each his own. Sometimes folks get more joy in the possession of an object in pristine condition than they do in the use of one that is not pristine.

From a personal standpoint, I sometimes frequent antique car shows. I have seen a great many finely restored cars winched on and off trailers, with ropes set up and signs everywhere saying "DON'T TOUCH". Well that's all fine and good, but the best thing I ever saw at a show (years ago) was a guy with an old beat up 1919 Dodge Brothers open touring car. The radiator leaked, the leather was cracked, and the stuffing was falling out. He was giving free rides around the show to the kids that were there. The smiles on those kid's faces were priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    ... Don't shoot your firearms! .......but fire them all you want.
    a friend dropped a small pistol beside some pots his wife had just spun and dried. somehow it ended up being put into the kiln with the pots.

didn't do it any good. finish was ruined, and I assume the heat treatment.

Don't FIRE your firearms!... but shoot boolits out of them all you want.
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

I have never seen a NIB/unfired firearm being worth more than one in "new condition" except for the VERY rare ones, or first run products.

shoot it, but take good care of it.
    it'll hold it's value
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

if you have a gun you will not shoot that is in good enough shape to shoot, you may as well have a BRICK
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I have a 15-3 and it's a joy to take to the range. If you don't find some time to take yours shooting you'll be missing out.
    Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.
    RAH

Boolit Grand Master

I'm interested in hearing from the 4 guys that voted to not shoot and find another one
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Buddy
    It was made to shoot.

Shoot it!

10 years ago I bought a perfect 1987 Mercedes 300d diesel that had never seen snow. It truly was the little old ladie's Mercedes.
    It only had 100,000 miles on it at the time. That is considered a break in period for a diesel.
    I was faced with a dilemma: keep it as a summer car, don't drive it much, and buy a beater for winter OR drive it until the doors fall off.
    I chose to drive it. It now has 405,000 miles on it, doesn't burn a drop of oil, and I have really enjoyed the car for those 10 years.
    My point is the reason you buy something is to use it. ALL of my guns get shot. Even the Colt SAA 97% 44 spl pre war 7 1'2 blue gets a box shot through it at least once a year.
    Unless it is so rare that shooting damages the collectability, shoot it. Enjoy it.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fecmech View Post
    There are about 17 gazillion Model 15's in the world, I'd shoot and enjoy it.
    Yep.
    I have only one gun that I don't shoot. Mid WWII P-38 with a barrel that looks like a sewer pipe.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Boolit Buddy

Tons of used Smiths out there. Buy it.....put it away. Then buy a used Model 10 for under $300 and shoot the daylights out of it. How often would you find an unfired one?? Just my take.

Boolit Master

Ah a 10 is not a Combat Masterpiece. Shoot the gun or sell it to someone who will. I shot the **** out of my no dash 15 then passed it on for a crappy Python that I sold 1 month later. Note Colt DA revolvers I do not understand the hype for them as in all feel and looks they are totally under the feel of an S&W.

Most likely their ancient architecture, Their catch-up latter model coil spring guns are Meh
    Last edited by Geezer in NH; 02-11-2015 at 06:02 PM. Reason: I hate auto correct

Boolit Master

If I buy it, I shoot it! Now if someone GAVE me a really rare piece I might think differently. I can't afford to buy a really rare gun.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Buddy

I concur......a 10 is not a Combat masterpiece. I suppose you could find a decent used 15 for less around $400. Then I would question my theory to keep the 15-4 unfired. But I was just going with the thought of having a classy Smith revolver to plink and possibly hunt with. A model 10 IS that.