Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Lead content in sailboat keel?

Lead content in sailboat keel?

I have heard many opinions as to what is actually in a "lead" keel... what is the general rule here?
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    I've wanted to find one too-although others have warned of a possible high zinc content, seems that it's not always consistent as far as alloy goes.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Boolit Buddy
    The big name boat builders today contract out the pouring of keels and get dozens if not more done at a time. They are concerned about specific weights and you are probably more than likely going to get pure or close to it. But for any other, especially older keels, it was whatever was laying around or available at the time. I have even seen keels with chunks of concrete or iron thrown in them. You should be able to get a sample piece, melt it down and at least test it for bhn and specific gravity. Or a junkyard may be able to scan it and tell you exactly what is in it. It is much better to know ahead rather than have a 1 ton of something unusable setting in your yard.

Tom

I'll be into it for the cost of transporting the boat (quoted $275) and the labor of "getting the lead out" pun intended. Its a 25' sailboat with a 3,800lb keel. the outboard motor, the aluminum mast and the braces that hold the boat up are going to the guy that's letting me cut it up on his land. Not a bad deal as long as its shootable. So since I can't cut it open before the boat is "given" to me... it's gonna be a gamble! I like the odds though! I can't wait until spring! chainsaw lead party anybody???
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Bub

You could always sell it for sinkers and jigs.

3800# would make a few crappie jigs.
    "Blessed are those who, in the face of death, focus on the front sight" ~Col. Jeff Cooper~

Banned

I too would roll the dice

Boolit Master

FWIW, there is a guy near me that scraps out abandoned sailboats and then sell the lead. i have bought from him a couple of times and it has always been very soft lead. So you are probably going to be in fat city once you get that thing all melted down!

Boolit Buddy

The keel I got was 98.29 pb and 1.29 sb. Really soft, could scratch it with my finger nail. Its all melted and in ingots, and boolits. Would not be afraid to gamble on it being good lead.

Boolit Master
    A 26 foot free sailboat just came up on Craigs list with a 2600# lead keel, the only problem is the boat is half sunk in the Halifax river by Titusville. As much as I would love the lead I am leaving this one alone.

I think one could drill a sample out of the keel and at least check for zinc with drain cleaner.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Banned
    NJ (but usually somewhere east of the east coast)
    Ive scrapped 3 sailboats for the keel now. (they were thick and easy after Sandy) all were very pure lead and well worth the effort. 2-3 guys with a mason saw or 2 and a pile of abrasive discs can cut one up and into a dumpster in a short day. the keels will be coated with much thick bottompaint, and I havent really perfected cutting them into usable chunks. Many ways to do it, its just hard to do it well.