RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 300 blackout for hunting

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    Grandson whacked a couple of Deer this season, on the same day, with a 300 BO @ approx 100 yards with a gun we built and ammo we crafted. Did the standard and took .223 LC Brass trimmed/formed it and loaded with Hornady V-Max 110 grain over a stack of H110. Reload data listed a 2200+ fps bullet. One of the Deer, a Doe fell in her place and the other, a Buck went about 30 yards. Doe was a through and through disrupting the Lungs and Heart and the Buck was taken through the Lungs and the bullet lodged in the off side shoulder. He's sold on the 300 BO and now prefers it over his 7mm WSM.
    I'd rather use a .223 than a .30 carbine... which that load approximates.
    Sent from my computer using my fingers.

Boolit Buddy
    The BO is still too new to me to consider it for deer, but I've heard of hit and lost deer from 4 out of the5 people I know that hunted with the BO this past season.
    Two of them said they hit and lost 2 different deer each, while one claimed to miss one cleanly before hitting one dead instantly....

While the BO can certainly kill a deer, so can a 22lr.
    The only thing I can probably say for sure and certain, is that theirs lots more dead deer for the coyotes to eat since the BO got so popular....

Personally, if I'm going to carry a rifle, it's going to be enough rifle to cleanly kill that once in a lifetime trophy at longer range and a difficult angle.
    I prefer to do all my hunting before I pull the trigger,,, and the deer deserve no less.

Cheers, YV

Boolit Master
    I have harvested deer with the blackout without any problem. The problem with the BO, and deer that get away is the assumption that it is a 300 winmag, and any hit will bring down an animal. I have found proper bullet selection, and placement is key with this caliber. 308 bullets work at close ranges, but often fail to open beyond 100 yards sufficiently to kill. I have reservations using a varmint bullet for deer hunting because of their propensity to fragment, and lose penetration. I have used the Sierra 2120's with good success at blackout velocity, and also load the Barned 110 grain blackout bullet. Cast is another story, and I am still testing a bullet that seems to work, but fragments to violently under 50 yards. Some hollow point pin changes are in order, and should give an all around performer in the 125-130 grain class. For subsonic work a large hollow point to initiate tumbling is required. I hope to see the Mihec subsonic boolit done soon so I can begin testing. The Blackout works, but for deer on the run it may not be the best choice.

Boolit Buddy
    I don't have a BO but in times past a lot of deer have been dropped with the .32-20 and the .30 Carbine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nise View Post
    so, it's like a 7.62x39? which hovers around 124gr and using a reliably expanding bullet at reasonable ranges I don't see an issue. With a heavy slow slug it's more like a handgun bullet without the frontal area so you suffer for upset. If it's a spitzer it may have a tendency to follow bones and muscle tissue. I wouldn't...... except perhaps w/ a 125gr ballistic tip or like jword.
    Basically, yes but most data from x39 is from a longer barrel. I have found that the blackout nips at the heels of x39, but the problem is most people want to use a 8-9 inch barrel, and expect it to be an x39. It is not the same if that is your comparison. If you intend on using a short barrel expect it to be more like a 30 carbine magnum instead of a 7.62x39. Would you shoot a deer at 200 yards with a 30 carbine? 100 yards maybe, but people see guys on youtube shooting subsonic through a suppressor on a 9 inch SBR and lobbing them to 300 yards and think it will work good on an animal that is no longer there when the bullet reaches that distance. If you have a 16"+ blackout rifle 150-200 yards will get you meat in the freezer with a 125 grain bullet designed to expand at blackout velocity, with a pistol I would limit that further to 100-150. Subsonic is not ideal, and I would put that limit at 50 yards or less with an expanding bullet. Most subsonic bullets out there right now just pencil straight through. Barnes claims their 110 grain blackout bullet will do it out to 300 yards, or more but I have to question that from what I have seen. Not to mention 110 grains in a blackout will not have much energy to get a pass through at that distance anyway once expanded.

Boolit Master
    I am surprised not one person has mentioned what twist rate they are using. I am assuming the light bullet faster speed crowd is using a 1/8 or a 1/9 twist. I have intentions of getting a 300 upper but I would like a 1/10 twist. Any suggestions? Kevin

I have had perfect success with the 7mm BR on deer over the years and the 300 is not too far behind from an energy standpoint with supersonic 125g bullets (1300-1400 ft/lbs).

A 6.8 spc would be a better choice super sonic but not a huge advantage.

Subsonic the 300 blk speed and energy numbers are about the same as a 45 acp out of a 5" barrel. A 220g bullet subsonic is around 500 ft/lbs.

The big bore AR's and heavy bullets are better as the only way to gain energy when you have a speed limit is mass. A 500 grain bullet out of a 458 socom subsonic has more than twice the energy.

I have had perfect success with the 7mm BR on deer over the years and the 300 is not too far behind from an energy standpoint with supersonic 125g bullets (1300-1400 ft/lbs).

A 6.8 spc would be a better choice supersonic but not a huge advantage.
    If a different bolt doesn't bother you the 6.5 Grendel will get you just shy of 2000ft/lbs.

Subsonic the 300 blk speed and energy numbers are about the same as a 45 acp out of a 5" barrel. A 220g bullet subsonic is around 500 ft/lbs.

The big bore AR's and heavy bullets are better as the only way to gain energy when you have a speed limit is mass. A 500 grain bullet out of a 458 socom subsonic has more than twice the energy from the start. At 300 yds the 500g bullet will still have more energy than the 220g has at the muzzle.
    Last edited by jmorris; 01-20-2015 at 04:22 PM.

When I bowhunt, I would never consider shooting at deer with field points. Although not an equal comparison to a subsonic .300 AAC Blackout/.300 Whisper/.300 Fireball, it does have quite a few similarities. Subsonic loads from a .300 BLK on deer is dicey at best. Recovery rates with bullets under 200 grains are dismal, and very marginal for heavier bullets in hunting conditions. On the other hand, a .300 BLK loaded to top velocities with a 110-grain Barnes TTSX up through a 125-grain Nosler Partition is a good short-range deer killer. This opinion is based upon killing more than 140 feral hogs/coyotes/deer with a .300 BLK. It's really revealing when you work on a sounder of pigs with subsonic 220-grain J-words and then swap mags with the same bullets driven at about 1,400-1,500 fps. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Vendor Sponsor

Jaybird62
    good analogy Field Points and Subsonic Blackouts .. there are many kills with subs and Blackouts but and I mean a real big BUT there have been a lot of lost deer as well.. I also concluded the same thing and started developing a 1400 FPS 50/50 Hollow Point 225 Gr Bullet.. Awesome expansion and dumps all the energy into the Target

PS 1400 FPS thru my suppressor is still hearing safe...
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

A 145gr. LFN @ 1800 should do it well to 150 yds. 4" drop @ 150.
    1400 FPS 225 Gr 8" drop @ 150, less energy too. Est. range good.
    EDIT: 30/30 per boolit weight is 20-50% more energy than 300BO BUT close in the 140-160 gr. range. I.e. if you use a 150 (proper hunting bullet/boolit) either should do the job.
    Last edited by popper; 02-05-2015 at 04:19 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dk17hmr View Post
    My personal thoughts on subsonics for medium game is you need weight and diameter. You can get the weight part in the 300blk but you can't get the diameter.

300 blackout makes a great close range deer round when loaded SUPERSONIC with 110-150gr bullets. I killed a couple antelope with a 300 whisper and 125gr Nosler Ballistic tips a few years ago and it worked great.
    Or just make an expanding subsonic. I do and they work great. 1020fps. exit size of a quarter. maybe ran 30 yards? there are three commercial vendors that would disagree with you can't get diameter. Mine have opened 2x diameter. It is more about picking the right tool for the intended application as well. I certainly wouldn't dpe ed on one to tumble but to open.....designed right yes.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    I have harvested deer with the blackout without any problem. The problem with the BO, and deer that get away is the assumption that it is a 300 winmag, and any hit will bring down an animal. I have found proper bullet selection, and placement is key with this caliber. 308 bullets work at close ranges, but often fail to open beyond 100 yards sufficiently to kill. I have reservations using a varmint bullet for deer hunting because of their propensity to fragment, and lose penetration. I have used the Sierra 2120's with good success at blackout velocity, and also load the Barned 110 grain blackout bullet. Cast is another story, and I am still testing a bullet that seems to work, but fragments to violently under 50 yards. Some hollow point pin changes are in order, and should give an all around performer in the 125-130 grain class. For subsonic work a large hollow point to initiate tumbling is required. I hope to see the Mihec subsonic boolit done soon so I can begin testing. The Blackout works, but for deer on the run it may not be the best choice.
    Try a cup point for lead and 30-1
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kweidner View Post
    Try a cup point for lead and 30-1
    I was considering that. I have a few extra pins, but think I will only modify one. It would be difficult to get two pins exactly the same let alone 4.

Boolit Master
    Both the Blackout (Whisper) and the 7.62x39 are well behind the 30/30 in power and the .30/30 is my self imposed minimum for close range deer hunting.

Boolit Grand Master
    If 100yds or closer I would use the 300blk, but with the Barnes bullets designed for the 300 blk or the 125 Nosler BT.

Quote Originally Posted by MT Chambers View Post
    Both the Blackout (Whisper) and the 7.62x39 are well behind the 30/30 in power and the .30/30 is my self imposed minimum for close range deer hunting.
    There isn't too much data out for the 300AAC so it doesn't have a track record for being adequate for deer. The 7.62x39 however, can be loaded up to the factory 30-30 in performance. The Speer #11 lists a charge of 30 grains of Norma 201 producing 2232FPS in the 7.62x39 with a 130 grain bullet. The 30-30 with the same bullet weight and a charge of 32 grains of the same powder produces 2194FPS. Since the 300AAC isn't chambered in 19th century guns like it's close relative the 32-20, I'm guessing that it's potential might surprise some when it's chambered in single shot and bolt guns. I find it perfectly adequate for deer for 100 yards and under.

I was reading a gun rag article this week that stated the 308 was the minimum for deer, and 300 Win Mag was much better. You should really use a 338.

We all know what to think of that guy. We all know one or two. The truth of the matter is the one thing that matters most is shot placement. If you don't put the bullet in the right place, you will lose deer. If you use that 338 and place the shot poorly, you may not save enough meat to bother looking for it.

The Blackout will work fine for deer. Just use a proper bullet, puncture both lungs, and you have made meat.

Boolit Buddy

I think the Blackout is absolutely capable of taking deer sized game. As with any caliber, use good judgment. I dropped a small buck from 102 yards with a Barnes 120 grain OT doing 2215 fps. It was a facing shot. Hit him just right of the breast bone. Went through the right lung and exited next to the spine shearing the last four rib bones from the spine on the way out. He dropped where he stood. He tried to get up several times but couldn't.

Boolit Buddy
    I would like to hunt with my 300 BLK using a powder-coated RD 165 LFP. It shoots well with IMR 4227, but I will need to test penetration and expansion in wet phone books first.

Thanks, Dinny
    I prefer peace. But if trouble must come, let it come in my time, so that my children can live in peace.

Thomas Paine