RepackboxReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Cabela's and PPU .22 Hornet ammo

Boolit Master

Cabela's and PPU .22 Hornet ammo

I was searching around looking for good deals when I came across some .22 Hornet ammo on the Cabela web site from PPU. I ordered a couple of boxes and forgot about it until it came in yesterday.

Went down to pick it up and saw they had a whole bunch more on the shelf so picked up 3 more boxes at $25 a box of 50. At the cost of the brass and bullets and powder and primers, it seems like a good way to get some brass to load. I hear it's good brass from some and cruddy brass from others. I guess I'm going to find out.

First centerfire factory ammo (aside from a few shotgun shells) I've bought in over 30 years!

Anyway, you Hornet shooters, might be a good way to get some brass together. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hornet Infestation at Cabelas1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	127708

Banned

I bought 200 rounds of that brass to get started in .22 Hornet and have found it to be good brass so far. I've used some of theirs in other things and had good luck with it there as well.

Boolit Grand Master

My shooting buddy likes it, at least one of his rifles is quite fond of it as a factory round. He bought it for the brass but it's apparently good ammo as is. He says it's good brass as well. Local Cabelas never seems to have it on the shelf, I guess he needs to order some.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear it's good brass. That Cabelas is full of surprises. I was online one night and they had 500+ cartons of .22 for $29.00. Remington Snap-Click and Pop but at least it goes off most of the time.

Boolit Man
    Literally waited years for Graf & Sons to get in a batch of PPU 7.35 Carcano brass.
    I ended up paying more for the 200 rounds of brass & 300 Hornady Jwords than I did for the rifle.
    But the rifle is a Beretta! And I have had it for a while, OK - a long while!
    Great brass, now all I need is a Lyman 300136 mold! I already have a .302 sizer.

Boolit Grand Master

I bought PPU ammo in 7.62x54r for the brass. And of course brass became available not long afterwards. Ammo has been great as well as the brass.

Boolit Master
    i did the same and got 5 boxes when aim had them for $18.99/50 but now grafs has ppu brass $29.99/100. this is my first forey in the world of 22 hornet. I lucked into a new in the box old stock, probably 20-30 year old charles daly superior grade mini mauser for $275. Ive read that to extend brass life to neck size only and to use lyman M die when loading jacketed or cast. Anyone have reccomendation on lee collet die vs redding neck die.
    I have thought of getting the redding deluxe set then adding carbide expand button. this redding deluxe with carbide has worked wonders for me with 223. I just got order of unique from wideners, finally after 4 year wait,
    has anyone suggestions on 55gr cast load for knocking critters out of the trees for dinner. I have lots of wheel weights and pure lead but only a pound or so of lino and the bator lee mold and lymans 225646

Boolit Master
    Good ammo and good brass

Boolit Master
    Cant beat the price and they do make alot of oddballstuff that larger company's no longer produce.

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    i did the same and got 5 boxes when aim had them for $18.99/50 but now grafs has ppu brass $29.99/100. this is my first forey in the world of 22 hornet. I lucked into a new in the box old stock, probably 20-30 year old charles daly superior grade mini mauser for $275. Ive read that to extend brass life to neck size only and to use lyman M die when loading jacketed or cast. Anyone have reccomendation on lee collet die vs redding neck die.
    I have thought of getting the redding deluxe set then adding carbide expand button. this redding deluxe with carbide has worked wonders for me with 223. I just got order of unique from wideners, finally after 4 year wait,
    has anyone suggestions on 55gr cast load for knocking critters out of the trees for dinner. I have lots of wheel weights and pure lead but only a pound or so of lino and the bator lee mold and lymans 225646
    I say get the LEE 4 die set at Titan reloading, they are a sponsor here. 4 die set has has it all. I have some redding neck dies and they all over worked the brass by sizing way small then opening the necks up pulling over there button. IMHO Redding dies of today are not what they used to be. This hurts me to say being that the owner of reading, Richard Bebe, is my sisters brother in law, and I have known them for 35+ years. My reading dies spent a fair amount of time in my lathe being turned while I polished the necks out to a larger size so the could be used without stressing the necks.

I have a highly modified shell holder for my K- hornets so I can use a 223 collet die to size them.

Ken
    Last edited by Screwbolts; 02-27-2016 at 05:31 PM.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Grand Master

I found the best way to get 22 Hornet brass to last a long time is to rechamber the gun to the K-Hornet. Other than that neck size or collett if they have one.
    The brass is thin so the M die is good to use for jacketed and cast to prevent catching the edge of the neck and crumpling it. Be sure to taper the inside of the neck slightly also.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the tip on Graffs, just ordered another 200.

Boolit Master
    I stay a bit cautious around PPU rifle ammo. Back about a year ago, perhaps a little bit longer, we had 2 different shooters bring in rifles with PPU brass thoroughly hung in the chambers, perhaps 1-2 months apart. Both rifles were bolt action (different rifle brands and different calibers). In both rifles the cartridge had fired, but the extractor would not remove the brass from the chamber. Both owners had gotten their bolts to the rear (tore out sections of the cartridge rim in doing so) but the case bodies remained in the chambers. My job was to remove the remains of those cases from the chambers. I got the cases out of the chambers and took the time to give them a close examination. Both cases showed monster expansion. Excessive pressure? Soft brass? Other explanation? Not sure, but those cases were a wreck. Primers were flattened and expanded, made me think about overloads. Perhaps some of their proof loads got in the way of the final packaging process. For this to happen in one caliber is uncommon, but in 2 different calibers at about the same time??? Like I said, I'll pass on their rifle ammo and won't recommend it to others.

Thin Man