Load DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using an 8mm Mauser mould for 7.62x54r loads

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I still can not get the reasoning behind Beagling a mold.
    If you are shimming the mold on the faces, the mold doesnt Close as far.
    It will make the diameter wider but only one direction.
    You will have a .312 mold that casts a boolit say .312 in one direction and .316 in the other.
    You would have to size it back to .312 to get it back to round.
    Am I missing something ?
    It does sound goofy but in practice works out pretty good. It seems the gun doesn't care much about the out of round part. The increase in size helps fill the thing up and they are sure enough round after a couple inches down bore when fired. I had my doubts too but it works. My ancient Ideal 308334 casts too small and shot poorly. When 'Beagled' it's a match grade boolit.

Boolit Master
    I guess using two of the rifle grooves is better than only kissing the tips of all four grooves.
    It would be more like my LE Long branch with a two groove barrel.

I recently "bit the boolit" and ordered a mold from Accurate Molds. I chose Tom's 31-195R and specified a .304 bore riding section and .315 for the driving bands when cast with wheel weights and tin. Got the mold in less than 2 weeks. Boolits drop .304/.316 and I size to .314 by using my reloading press to push them through my Lyman sizer die nose first after tumble lubing. These work great in all three of my 303s and my Mosin Nagant. I might spring for a Lee sizer in .315 just to keep things tight. I know all my 303s will chamber even an as-cast .316 boolit in R-P brass.

Boolit Buddy
    Hope there's no hard feelings for resurrecting an old thread, but I've been out and about trying some new loads. I recently used the .323" bullets (re-sized to .316") in a vintage military rifle shoot, and had some decent shooting with it. The rifle is more accurate than I am to say the least. But, I'm with you guys on this one. I think it's possible to do better without such a tremendously re-sized bullet.

My adventures in paper patching are giving me so-so results. A .316" 190gr gas check paper patched cast bullet with 20.5gr of 5744 is giving me the same results as the re-sized .323" gas check bullet. Thanks again for referring me to the NOE website. I may yet go buy a mould from them.