Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synthetic motor oil for resizing brass?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    Well, that is a soap product;
    you could probably use dishwashing soap as well, and rinse with plain water.
    This is the stuff you put on hair for control and combing, kind'a like "Dapper Dan" in "O Brother Where Art Thou."
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Anyone ever use a Foster Graphiter?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails foster graphiter.jpg  

I don't need lube on most of the pistol stuff [except for 9mm] Carbide dies are OK in my loading room!
    Now rifle is a different story 223/556 is a PITA because of the amount that has to be loaded, any of the other hunting cal's I need so few of them it's not a big deal.
    [I have a couple of K in 223/556 to be prepped yet]

Boolit Master
    If it the mess your worried about try this.
    I got a plastic butter tub and put lead bird shot in the bottom added some of my case lube and a bit of lacquer thinner. Stir the shot real good and dip the necks in shot for a light coat that wipes off easily. You will have to brush the lube out of the inside of the neck.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

where rocks are shot at & milk jugs, too...
    Still have mine, works great for neck sizing, usually just use a q-tip with a quick swab of Imperial lube when f/l sizing, best stuff I've ever used.
    “Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."

Winston S. Churchill

Maybe there is something I am missing. Why would one need to lube a case for resizing in a carbide die? Once I found carbide, I never touched my non-carbide dies.
    Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions; they become habits. Watch your habits; they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pilot View Post
    Maybe there is something I am missing. Why would one need to lube a case for resizing in a carbide die? Once I found carbide, I never touched my non-carbide dies.
    I may be wrong but I say there mostly talking about rifle brass
    jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Banned
    I HAVE USED SHALER RISLONE FOR YEARS, NEVER HAD A STUCK CASE. LUBE INSIDE NECK WITH Q TIP DIPPED IN RISLONE AND THEN WIPE AROUND OUTSIDE. I DO POLISH BRASS AFTER SIZING. dd

I bought a small bottle of pure lanolin with the intent of diluting it with the 100 alcohol but finf it didn't work very well as the cases seemed to almost get stuck. But I did use a little lanolin on the palm of my hand then take a few cases and roll them around in it.
    That worked great, very safe.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used the Lee water souluable case lube occasionally, one nice thing with it is it works wet or even after its dried. A damp rag or quick polish removes it easily. I perfer the Imperial sizing die wax it has worked exceptionally well even for heavy reforming operations. We had swaging lubes for forming 2 piece cans that was water souluable and very similar to the Lee. It used to be the thing was to buy lanolin and cut it with alchlol to thin for case lube. While its not neccesary to lube for carbide dies I have found that a very light coat does decrease the force needed to size cases alot. An towel dedicated to lubing cases and a good lube will make short work of lubing large batches of cases. You have to pay attention when first starting to use the towel until it is impregnated with lube as it is easy to not get the proper coating of lube. I have used the same towel for 15-20 years now with Imperial and it does a great job. Spread it out on a flat surface working side up, pour cases on it ( I have a bath towel so a couple thousand at a time is doable) an appropriate amount of lube on the cases and pick up 2 corners of each end in each hand and agitate for a few minutes raising and lowering your hands. Pack the towel in a ziplock bag for storage when done. A towel damp with acetone or alchlol would remove it the same way I think, although it would need to be cleaned often. I have heard and seen guys tumbling cases with lube to lube them also. I thinl that STP with a little lanolin added might be an ideal lube. The industrial swaging lubes work very good but are probably overkill for reloading.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Depends on the case, Randy. I actually size my 32S&W (short) without any, but that is a tiny case. I doubt any bottleneck case would work with just spit.
    Wayne: I was kidding? But really it depends on what you had for dinner.

Burgers and Fries,,, your golden!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy

STP worked but was hard to get off the cases and produced oil dents if I wasn't very careful about the amount used.

The only reason I would use synthetic oil to lube my cases is if I were using synthetic oil in my car. I simply leave the bottles upside down over a jar to catch the last drippings from an oil change and use that. The advantage of synthetic oil is that the viscosity does breaks down slower than conventional oil after prolonged use. When lubing cases, there is no prolonged use so conventional oil drippings are just as good. And yes, I do use synthetic oil sometimes because I do use it in my car when I'm in the mood. Does it make a difference in the car? Hasn't yet. I've never had an oil related engine failure and I always change it regularly at 6-7,000 miles. It's just that sometimes I'll splurge and buy the more expensive synthetic Walmart jug of oil instead of the conventional jug.

Yes, mink oil, Dillon's lube (simply lanolin and IPA), One Shot and 90% of the homemade concoctions all work if used properly. Snobs will chastise you for not using the same expensive store bought lube they use, but if you are not getting stuck cases and you are enjoying the hobby, you can simply smile and say "thanks for the advice".

Boolit Grand Master

I have read that WD 40 is good for killing primers. . . . .

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I have read that WD 40 is good for killing primers. . . . .

Bill
    I have heard the same thing and have used WD40 to kill some primed cases...but I am not fully convinced that it will be 100% effective

Boolit Man
    I have Imperial & lee case lubes but I still use Synthetic 0-20W on a thick felt pad for my rifle cases. It is very thin & effective. No build up & very little is needed. Also wipes off easily & leaves just enough to protect the brass & feed well. This is also my preferred gun lube. Will run all winter without issues & same in summer. Get a needle oiler from a hobby shop. One quart is a life time supply.