Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lube Gruves

Boolit Buddy

Lube Gruves

I have a question pertaining to lube gruves. Do you fill them all or just the ones that are not exposed. I was getting ready to load Lyman 266673 in 6.5 sweed and the crimp falls between the two lube gruves. I'm using red hard lube. If this is in the wrong place please move (first thread). Thank You

Bill

Boolit Master

If using hard lube, I fill them all. Works great with loverin boolit in the 30-30.

Boolit Buddy
    Thank You

Bill

I lube all the grooves on the 266673, that's a long boolit.

Boolit Master

When I shoot that boolit I lube only the 3 grooves above the gas check along with the area
    above the GC (4 grooves).
    That's is about all the lube that is needed ether hard or soft.
    Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
    SASS 15704
    Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Boolit Grand Master
    Many cast bullets will actually shoot better if all the grooves are not filled with lube.

Ben

Contact Waksupi if you need more.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

I fill them all no matter what. I may use to much lube, when we qualified for our MS enhanced carry endorsement, I noticed some places on the pvc target holders the instructor had us using. I thought **** my coww cast bullets have come apart and knocked holes in his pipe stands. After shooting and while replacing targets, I swiped my finger across the "hole" and smeared it, lol and also noticed many more smaller "holes". lots of lube spinning off of a little 38 boolit.
    PS Waksupi is the lube groove king, I think he still sells them if you need some more :-0
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

Waksupi, can I add them to an otherwise no groove (PC) boolit for versatility? Will they add or reduce the standard weight? Tee Hee

Boolit Bub

I go with the idea of filling all the lube grooves. Why? it needs that much or they would not have put them on there.
    I allso seat bullets untill all the lube grooves are are covered by the case. If it will not go, I compress the powder more. (BP cartridge shooter perspective on it)

Also bear in mind exposed lube can attract dirt in less than ideal circumstances.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Waksupi, can I add them to an otherwise no groove (PC) boolit for versatility? Will they add or reduce the standard weight? Tee Hee
    just remember the laws of stacking and unintended consequences
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Here we go again.....
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Many cast bullets will actually shoot better if all the grooves are not filled with lube.

Ben
    I agree. I have got better accuracy without filling all of the grooves. I usually do two.

I DO have a special offer for expandable loob grooves!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    have you no shame sir? Trying to make deals on another mans thread with your lube grooves!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    I agree. I have got better accuracy without filling all of the grooves. I usually do two.
    I agree with Waksupi... I've gone down to just two grooves... Unless, of course, there's only one groove to fill... I don't generally opt to buy extra grooves...

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bzcraig View Post
    have you no shame sir? Trying to make deals on another mans thread with your lube grooves!
    Uh, no, and uh, yes!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I've been waiting for Ric to have a sale. I'm about out now....
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

If you get better results with less lube then why the expandable loob grooves? Don't you want reducible loob grooves? Even removable grooves?

Caution guys, he is peddling misery to noobs.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

TIME TO PLAY. Yes, some bullets in some rifles will shoot better if you don't fill all the grooves. The only way you're going to know is to try it.
    Besides, one of the reasons you cast and reload is to get the best possible accuracy, right? You try different powders, try different loads, try different bullets, try different lubes, why not different amounts of lube?