RepackboxLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freechex III and Charles Darnall - Unbelievable

Freechex III and Charles Darnall - Unbelievable

A few days ago I contacted Charles Darnall about getting a Freechex III check maker for our 243's and 6mm. His return email that same day said he was out of them. Yesterday an email asking me the shank size of my boolits. Today a Paypal invoice for the new checkmaker. Probably will have it on Monday. How can you beat that for service. This is my 4th Freechex III tool. Guess who I will order a checkmaker from when I need a 30 cal tool? Thanks again Charles!

Boolit Mold
    I've had great service from Charlie as well. When I was having trouble fitting a .224 check to a particular bullet with a tapered shank, I sent him some samples and he made me a 'custom' mandrel that allowed a better fit. He really strives to make his customers happy.

Most folks problems that they have with homemade gas checks is just finding the proper thickness stock for their bullet and Yonky on this board has a good selection at a reasonable price. He is also great to deal with!

In Remembrance
    Charlie is great to work with! I have close to a hundred of his FC iii dies. He can be cranky at times like all of us old men! I will ask for something special and he will go on about some reason not to make it Most of the time I will have it in hand and checks in the clients hand in less than a week! I no he stays up at night to meet the challenge. Not many people are that way. He is not after the money! He gives many of his tools away free to less fortunate people that have limited income and trying circumstances. Case in point, he shipped me a box of FCII 30 caliber where I can do the same thing. FREE! Going to ring out the crying towel and go back to work. James

Boolit Master

Sage, what is the difference between the FCII and FCIII tools? I've heard enough positive feedback regarding the owner to want to see about buying one. I presume you use them in your checkmaking business and would have figured out if there are any problems. You chose the FCIII so I guess I was wanting a little more insight.

To anyone, what is the best way to buy one from Charles? Is he on this board?
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

In Remembrance
    daboone posted his website address. The FCll are the hammer version his first creation. The FCIII's have to be set up under a loading press or arbor press. I have mine set up to work with pneumatic presses. Broke a few learning how to minimize the over zealous blows of the presses. Thats a long story. James

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman View Post
    Sage, what is the difference between the FCII and FCIII tools? I've heard enough positive feedback regarding the owner to want to see about buying one. I presume you use them in your checkmaking business and would have figured out if there are any problems. You chose the FCIII so I guess I was wanting a little more insight.

To anyone, what is the best way to buy one from Charles? Is he on this board?

Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to another thread where I and others posted photos of Freechex III dies in arbor Presses and such.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...=1#post1936670
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

When I purchase a gun in a caliber that is new to me, my next moves are a visit to NOE, an order to Buckshot and an email to Charlie.
    "He's whittlin' on a piece of wood. I've got a feeling when he stops whittlin', somethin's gonna happen." - Cheyenne, Once Upon a Time in the West (1968)

"When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk." - Tuco, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (1966)

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the responses. Time for some research.

No reason to do any research, just email Charlie and order one.

I forgot to mention, One of the emails that I received from Charlie stated that he was no longer making the Freechex II tools in any of the smaller calipers any longer. He will make only the Freechex III tools in the small calipers.

Boolit Master

The freechex 3 sounds like the way to go.

Yes it is. You can punch out a check a second for as long as you can keep that pace up. A paper slicer and free litho plate from your local newspaper is all you need. Even for my 45/70 Boolits I use litho plate and just double it when I punch them out. I think I am nearly at 22000 checks from my 22 cal Freechex III tool. Do the math, it don't take long to pay for each free chex tool. I'm covering everything we shoot with Freechex. Hornets, 222's,223's, 22-250's, 35 rem's, 350 Rem Mags, 358 win, 357 mags, 44 mag's, 45/70 and very soon I will feed 4 243's. All with free litho plate and some free time.

Just received the 6mm Freechex III this afternoon. So far 3500+ checks made without a hiccup. Less than an hour. And they fit perfectly. Thanks again Charlie

Well guess "one more thing" got added to my have to have list. Did I mention my wife hates that list. Gets more attention than her honey-doo list.

Boolit Master
    what the man said about free aluminum litho sheet from the newspaper, plus one! I got twenty pounds for a pound of Folger's and a dozen Maple bars to the night crew.

Boolit Buddy
    Charlie told me several years ago that Pat told him " he wouldn't be in business very long"! The man must be obstinate. -tj

Banned

I wanted a 35 caliber II and sent him an email with a couple questions. He insisted I call him and spent about 40 minutes talking to me about my questions. He seem to be a very intelligent man. Got my order in short order. Great guy and great product.

Having used both, the Freechex III is the way to go. Whether you buy one or make your own clone. The PM one is well built and makes good checks, no argument. Its just made to be more complex for no reason or additional advantages.

Either one is better than buying checks. I figure my cost to make checks now is about $0.27/100.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    Charlie told me several years ago that Pat told him " he wouldn't be in business very long"! The man must be obstinate. -tj
    Awe the fertilizer runs so deep around here sometimes... LOL

Most folks here know tjones is Charlie. May as well come out and stop being so sneaky..

The truth is...

I have never ever once (1) said or "wished YOU wouldn't be in business very long" Charlie. In fact I send customers to you from time to time. Just did last week as a matter of fact, as I don't have time to do custom dies, or talk on the phone like you do because Shooters keep me very, very busy with die orders, and I'm very thankful to be able to do this for a living.

So- lets just all support our Cast Shooting field... CB and all vendors and manufactures that take on the difficult task of providing choices and money saving devices, tools and dies for all Cast Shooters..