Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you could have ONLY two moulds... which ones and why?

Two molds in calibers I don't have. Then I'd need more guns. More fun!

Boolit Master

I would have to have a 41 mag 230 SWC and a 357 WFN 180. These would feed all of my 41's and all of my 38 Spec/357 rounds and would make good defense or hunting rounds in either pistols or rifles.

Boolit Master
    Is this one of those trick questions? Ya know, like during an interrogatory... I cannot, for the life of me, imagine having but two moulds. Ever. How can that be... ???

TomBulls, thanks for asking. I really must go now.
    Regards,
    Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by walltube View Post
    Is this one of those trick questions? Ya know, like during an interrogatory... I cannot, for the life of me, imagine having but two moulds. Ever. How can that be... ???

TomBulls, thanks for asking. I really must go now.
    Regards,
    Wt.
    At least I didn't pose a false paradigm.... I'm trying to justify buying some more moulds from RCBS, but I'm not sure I need anymore for the calibres I shoot right now.

No way I could get by with two molds. I have three different calibers in muzzleloaders ,
    (45, 50 and 54) 12 and 20 gauge slugs, 9 mm ,38 special, 357, 44 mag , 45acp and 45 colt. In rifles I mold for 22 hornet, 223, 270W, 7MM, 308, 7.62X39, 7.62 x 54and 338 WMag plus a 45-70 . What would be the fun in only two molds?

Boolit Grand Master
    Easy, the one I'm using and the one I will use next.

As for buying more moulds, do what I do. Decide what you really expect those new moulds to do that existing ones don't. Will they be more accurate? Save lead? What real need can you determine exists to justify the purchase? Is is coming from a guy who tends to use one mould for one cartridge in most cases. I don't buy many moulds but do research each purchase before buying.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Moderator Emeritus

AM 41-190W (195gr. WC)

Lee 22 Bator (that short fat boolit does better than most in my slow twist 22Hornet and 222rem guns)
    Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Cabin fever much?

Gear
    Yeah, a little bit...but that is causing other problems for me, that are not internet related.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Penicillin and the one that makes Muenster cheese.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Just two. I'll simply have to cut that down to two molds for 30 caliber rifle. Even that's hard.

For my 30-30 Model 94 Winchester. Saeco 30-150-FN. Because it shoots great and fits nicely down my Star size press for mass volume production. Drop bullet in nose first. Base protrudes just enough to push a gas check onto, then stroke. Next bullet pushes out the one in die just like running pistol bullets. Longer 180 grain bullets are tippy and I just use my Lyman 4500 push pull at about 1/4 the production rate. Short front band to bore taper means they always chamber in my 94. Great volume load with no worries over function. Although they did not feed well in my daughters 336 Marlin. but that's just one more reason I'm not a marlin 336 fan.

30-06 boolit:
    I have a beautiful brass three cavity MP mold by MiHec in Slovenia. It's a HP with a couple pin sizes and a FN pin. 180 grain with a tapered nose like Lyman's #311332. It's just to good to do without. By altering alloy and HP pin I can tailor a load to either blow up on a varmint or punch through a 300 pound animal.

That's my two bullets. However for bear or anything large. I'd want one of my 200 or 220 grain 30 calibers with no compromise.
    However while I've been bear hunting. I've no immediate plans for such a hunt. I do have a box of 100 Sierra 220 grain RN that would get that bear hunt done on the cheep. But in my real world I have a long wait on an MP 215 grain Hp boolit mold. And a couple 200 grain boolit molds I like. But yes if I had to I could run a 150 and 180 grain 30 caliber. Fact is though I've never been that hungry.

Banned
    I have a machine shop, I would just make more. Same as if you could only have one gun thread

Quote Originally Posted by TomBulls View Post
    I don't think it needs to be calibre specific, just which two moulds you pick if you could have only two, and why.
    Ok, since I shoot 45acp the most, My Magma 200gr TC. Just because it is so common a caliber, my Lyman 175gr/RNFP/40. Both on my Magma caster. The one gun possibility is more likely.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Just having a bit of fun, TomBulls. Please take no offence. You did pose a serious question.

I can in no way give an honest reply to "limit or justify" to any boolit caster as to how many moulds, in number, he may own. For example, I have bought firearms, pistol and rifle, for which I had no mould that would match the caliber. Or bore. Buying the gun was my justification. Or, I'd buy a discontinued mould because is was declared as 'now out-of-production'. Back in the day e-Bay was my single most source of moulds. Buy the mould, find a gun to fit. Fertile ground for a psycho-analytical exam? There have been whispers in my absence......

Please take note: none of the above put my house in financial jeopardy.
    Best Regards,
    Wt.
    "Only when the Muslims (Arabs) begin to love their children as much as they hate us, will there be peace."
    Golda Mier

"Fear is a reaction, courage is a decision"
    Luca Scato

Boolit Buddy
    Ha, most people do it the other way around! They find a gun they want to shoot and then go find a mould to make it shoot better! However, it is the cheaper investment to start with a mould....

Boolit Grand Master

Ha, most people do it the other way around! They find a gun they want to shoot and then go find a mould to make it shoot better! However, it is the cheaper investment to start with a mould....
    I have molds, dies, brass and sizers for firearms(as in multiple) I don't own...yet. W/ oddball cartridges it's best to have everything lined up before you purchase the gun. No point in me owning a gun if I can't make ammo for it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    I have molds, dies, brass and sizers for firearms(as in multiple) I don't own...yet. W/ oddball cartridges it's best to have everything lined up before you purchase the gun. No point in me owning a gun if I can't make ammo for it.
    Oddly, it all makes perfect sense to me.

Boolit Master
    I've found most of my casting needs have been met by two moulds from Lee': The 312-185-1R (for the .303 Brit) and the 324-175-1R (for the 8mm Mauser).

The .312 mould can be sized down for a .308 bore, and is easily paper patched up to .316 for my Mosin-Nagant. In a pinch it can also be paper patched up to .325" for an 8mm.

The .323 mould sizes down to .314" with a little bit of effort, but it shoots really well in my Mosin-Nagant. It shoots reasonably well from my M48 8mm Mauser, and the .323" bullet can be easily patched up to .330" for my M95 Steyr in 8x56r.

These two moulds have been so good for me that I'm planning on getting an extra mould for each and having a machine shop remove the gas check. RCBS makes a really mean looking .338 flat point mould, and I'm half tempted to buy it in spite of the fact that I might not even need it if I can get the accuracy I want with a paper patched 8mm Mauser bullet.

Are you kidding me? Maybe two in each caliber, 50, 45, 44, 35, 32, 30, 25, 6mm, 22.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

Only two??!! I need way more than that.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Master
    Easy question. Lyman 429421 4 cavity and noe 311202 brass 4 cav with 3 sets of pins.
    44 mould will cover my revolvers and levers
    Noe mould will cover all my 30 calibers.
    Lab

Quote Originally Posted by labradigger1 View Post
    Easy question. Lyman 429421 4 cavity and noe 311202 brass 4 cav with 3 sets of pins.
    44 mould will cover my revolvers and levers
    Noe mould will cover all my 30 calibers.
    Lab
    I applaud your success in keeping your life simple. But how can any American man live without a 38 Special revolver? I just can't imagine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    I applaud your success in keeping your life simple. But how can any American man live without a 38 Special revolver? I just can't imagine.
    Not hard at all, once I got a 44 the 38's and 357's lost their appeal for me. I honestly cannot think of one thing either of the formers can do better, other than less lead and powder.