Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Lee 8x56r dies: Don't work with cast bullets?

Boolit Buddy

Lee 8x56r dies: Don't work with cast bullets?

Hey, all, I just got the two-die set of 8x56r dies from Lee, and the seat/crimp die isn't working out. The inside of the die is to narrow to accept a .338" diameter cast bullet. I fire re-formed 7.62x54r brass, and the seat/crimp die cannot adjust down far enough to crimp. It's a long, long, long explanation for how I seat my cast bullets, but has anyone else had this problem?

Boolit Master
    I noticed the inner ring is pretty small for some 6.5 Carcano dies that I have.
    Fortunately the inner ring is not very long. It is easy to polish it out larger.
    Check out Acro barrel laps. You can use a 5/16 lap and expand it until it will lap your die.
    As the die gets larger you have to expand the lap. You spin these laps with an electric drill.
    Keep in mind that lapping the die larger is a one way trip. You can't put the metal back.
    You can also lap the sizing out some so it does not size the case too much.
    You can also try this with a split wood dowel and 320 grit wet or dry paper spun with an electric drill.
    Split the end of a 1/4" dowel with a coping saw. Cut a piece of the wet or dry paper and fold it so only abrasive is on the outside. Slide it into the split and spin it in the die using a light oil as a cutting agent.
    EDG

Boolit Buddy
    I contacted Lee with a description of the problem, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they'll find a way to make it right.

Boolit Grand Master

I called Lee a couple of years ago with the same problem. I sent them my seat die and a couple of my boolits. It came back sized correctly.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!