Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Venison Stew

Boolit Grand Master

Venison Stew

Chicken of beef stock? I have a basic recipe of taters, carrots, onions and turnips but am wondering about chicken broth instead of beef. I'm firing up a crockpot in the morning, BTW.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Use this. http://www.knorr.com/product/detail/...wAzA&gclsrc=ds I've recently developed what I consider the best venison stew in the world. I've been experimenting for months now and finally figured out what the "secret" ingredients are. You'll also want to add one oz. of Worstershire sauce. Add some Seasoning Salt to the flour (one teaspoon) you use to brown the meat.

Boolit Grand Master

Good hints, NSB. Hoping you'll post your recipe once you're satisfied with it. I used Emeril's seasoning salt in the flour in the liver & onions, will use it when browning the venison, thanks. Hadn't considered Worcestershire sauce but sounds good, will give it a try. I'll post my best guess at a recipe tomorrow, been meaning to write it down someday, lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Moderator Emeritus

I use Better Than Bullion beef base and 1 can of beer for part of the liquid

Boolit Master
    Of course, I just use wine and water mix. Plus one on the Worcestershire. Dash of Crystal Hot Sauce, too.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    my vote is to let it make its own stock, the veggies, the venison, and the wine or beer you (assist) the liquid with.
    I mostly just use water to help make the stock of whatever I am cooking.
    beef fat helps venison from getting too dry.

Boolit Master
    The best thing about stews is this: they're almost always good. No matter how they're made. Sometimes it's just nice to try something different than what you've been eating for a long time. I'll bet most of the people adding to this post make a great stew. I'm already getting some ideas from reading this thread.

Boolit Grand Master

My reason for using broth in beans or stew is the salt. I add no salt at all, the broth I like (Swanson) seems to have the perfect amount. I can SWAG the other herbs and spices to match the dish, guests or my mood but I have a problem getting the salt right when I'm just throwing something together.

I match the meat color with the broth. Red meat gets stock from such and white meat gets stock from the same. Chicken and pork get chicken broth and venison and beef get beef broth. First choice I get is to make stock using the bones.
    "A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph, or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." - Aldo Leopold

Live generously.

Boolit Grand Master

No beef bones on hand, I generally follow the light/dark rule as well. I make a pretty good chicken (or turkey) stock, may have to try my luck with beef someday.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    The best thing about stews is this: they're almost always good. No matter how they're made. Sometimes it's just nice to try something different than what you've been eating for a long time. I'll bet most of the people adding to this post make a great stew. I'm already getting some ideas from reading this thread.
    Yep. Can't agree more.

I love stew and almost hate to admit it, but I just use the packets of McCormick's stew mix you get at the grocery store and pretty much follow their instructions. I do usually add one of the little cans of spicy V-8 juice to it.

Boolit Master
    I have been making a traditional Irish stew with the venison substituting for the lamb/mutton. Guinness Stout in place of the chicken or beef stock. I use Rutabagas in lieu of turnips btw.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

AnnieOakley
    I'm making a vegetable, venison stew right now. Ideally I'll use a venison shank and maybe a roast for the meat. I'll boil the shank for a long time drawing out the flavor and the natural gelatin and making a nice broth. Then you can cut up your roast, season with salt, pepper, garlic and coat in a little bit of flour. Brown that in some oil (I used lard today), and then you can add your veggies and broth. I used carrots, potatoes, cabbage, peas, okra, corn, and celery. I also add about an ounce of worchestershire and soy sauce. If you want you can add tomato juice or vegetable juice, which is what I did today. I put mine on the woodburning stove to simmer until the meat is tender. That takes a while with the venison, but is so worth the wait! I like the idea of adding some hot sauce and wine. I may try that!

Boolit Grand Master

Got distracted, finally started the stew about three hours ago. Oops!
    Haven't thought about wine, guess I need to add a cup next time I pass by. Cook probably needs a bit of marinating as well.

Moderator Emeritus

I always get the bones from my quarter of beef, roast them in a 450 oven until dark brown. Put them i a stock pot along with any fat and juices from the marrow(good stuff at this point to spread on toast too) and cover with water. Bring to a simmer and let simmer for 12 hours or more, crockpot works well at this point to go 24 hours. Strain the stock, defat it by cooling in the fridge overnight then freeze or pressure can it.

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    No beef bones on hand, I generally follow the light/dark rule as well. I make a pretty good chicken (or turkey) stock, may have to try my luck with beef someday.

Boolit Master

Gotta love stew.
    Venison is my all time favorite.
    1/4 C liquid is all I use in the slow cooker.
    Add beef bullion if you feel you need more flavor.....dale

Boolit Master

We pressured cooked (15# @ 30 min) the bones from a deer we processed--always boned everything out. Saved the ribs whole, of course. When done, bones were sponge-like, fed them to the dogs. The resultant broth was a concentrated stock that we put up in quart containers and put in the freezer--great stock base for a good stew. Can do the same with beef bones.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Don't forget the tomatos ; ) PS I don't use salt also
    H/D

Boolit Grand Master

I put the tomatoes in the salad...this time. I guess I have some pretty big stock pots from my canning days, may as well make stock next time.