RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: LEE "Perfect" powder measure. Can it be improved?

Boolit Master
    You know one of the most interesting features on this Forum is "Clicking" on an Avatar visiting a persons page and looking at their last 15 or 20 posts! Noting at that point that 3 or 4 of their last posts are argumentative, condescending or just plain rude for no reason. Also of note said person barely has over 100 post!!

It's safe to conclude a Troll has slipped into our midst!

now to use the second most interesting feature the "Ignore" feature. Problem solved.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

Banned

Apparently this is true. Why insult people who may use a tool for reasons of cost. That crosses the line in my book. Elitism is not a virtue.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by jamo002 View Post
    ...mine DO THROW ACCURATE CHARGES...
    I enjoy loading a lot of Accurate #7. Was gifted a Lee PPM and it leaked quite a bit of AA#7 when throwing charges. Tried the rotor lapping with JB bore paste and 'lubed' the rotor surface with powdered graphite: it appeared to leak a little less afterwards.

The Lee PPM threw very consistent and accurate charge weights though, surprisingly.

It's just that I could not get it to throw these charges without leaving a light dusting of AA#7 powder on the bench. Thought it was just me. Have yet to try Bullseye, Unique or Power Pistol through it to see how much seepage occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Vaquero View Post
    You know one of the most interesting features on this Forum is "Clicking" on an Avatar visiting a persons page and looking at their last 15 or 20 posts! Noting at that point that 3 or 4 of their last posts are argumentative, condescending or just plain rude for no reason. Also of note said person barely has over 100 post!!

It's safe to conclude a Troll has slipped into our midst!

now to use the second most interesting feature the "Ignore" feature. Problem solved.
    I use that feature like Kleenex.
    The PPM works extremely well on charges under 5 grains and for those I have two PPMs on my bench. I can afford to buy anything I want but I buy what works. I have two RCBS with a large and small drum and micrometer adjusting stems but for small charges, I use the Lee every time.

Have one, loaded about 20 rounds with it, and the darned thing broke. It came with a loadmaster, so at least I do not feel like an idiot buying it by itself. Have had great success with lee disc type measures, about as easy to use as anything. I will keep my lee autodiscs, my rcbs, my lyman, and my hornady. Even keep my dillon that I do not use anymore. But will NOT replace that "perfect" powder measure. I really like a lot of stuff lee makes, but that ain't one of em.

Banned

Lightbulb

1)Never had prob with the lee hopper, l take a carpenters pencil to everything sliding by powder while watching tv.
    2)I machine off expander nipple.
    3)My lee just drop powder only in my loadmaster, l expand in station 2 on loadmaster.
    4)l use spring and took chain off.
    5)l can change disks without removing hopper from loadmaster,
    a.turn off
    b.hole glass container something under & cycle powder out.
    c.slide disk out the front & install other.
    d.turn back on and cycle powder 5 or 6 times in glass container.

mikesreloadingbench.com

I just got a Makarov 9 x 18 caliber conversion kit for the Dillon 550B. Prior to that, the PPM was used very accurately for charging the 9 x 18 cases ( and 7.62 x 25). Consistently accurate. Mounted it to 12" 2x4 and stack a couple of boxes of boolits on the back end to keep it stable. Put a big sheet of paper under the unit to catch and recycle the powder leakage. After a couple hundred rounds, the drum rotated smoothly. The leakage has not improved much but it is a few seconds to pour it back into the powder jug. Use a Lyman 55 for rifle cases.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by spfd1903 View Post
    ...Prior to that, the PPM was used very accurately for charging the 9 x 18 cases...
    What powder were you charging with?

I scoured the internets at some point in the hopes of finding a forum thread that correlated powder brands folks used to whether or not they experienced leakage from the Lee PPM. Never did find a list like that.

I had used my PPM for years mostly with rifle powder and never had any problems. When I started throwing Accurate #7 I had considerable leakage. I devised a work-around for the leakage, but then read here about lapping the rotor. I tore it apart and spent an hour or so with rubbing compound and toothpaste. With everything well lapped I can see that mine will always leak. There are a couple of low spots in the plastic that would need to be filled to make it truly "perfect". I put it back together and am enjoying the improved action since lapping, but my work-around to catch the leaky powder will have to stay.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	104_5105_zpsbd09a284.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	34.7 KB 
ID:	125954

Just a piece of card stock, some masking tape, and a small plastic bowl. Been working for a while now.

Boolit Buddy

My major problem with the PPM is the cheesy, bendable stand. I screwed mine into a Lyman stand I had - screwing up the plastic threads when I did it - and am much happier with it. I'm going to have to do the drum though. I wish the stand were better and didn't bend in use.
    My major problem with Lee products is the primer feeds on their presses. I think they'll be substandard til they decide to use metal instead of plastic. That said I use their hand primers and have for years and wouldn't switch.

I forgot to mention that the first thing I did was weld up a more substantial stand - because you're quite right about the flimsy stand!

If none of us on here were not "cheap" or "stingy" or "frugal", we would not be reloading.
    I bought mine as a factory second when I was 19 and it worked for me, still does. Like a lot of LEE stuff it take's time to develope a "feel" for using them. Some get it, some use a bigger hammer.By the way, I'll be 49 this year

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by zuke View Post
    If none of us on here were not "cheap" or "stingy" or "frugal", we would not be reloading.
    8mm-06 was my first rifle cartridge. It belonged to my grandfather and was a popular rechamber when you couldn't find 57 brass. At least that was the excuse at the time, but -06 brass was very plentiful and cheap. I then bought an 11mm French Gras. I never did see a factory cartridge for that except at gun shows. The 44 mag was my first pistol then the 7mm TCU. I spent time looking for obsolete or wildcat guns and barrels.

Factory loads, there are none.

I bought a 30-06 in the early 80s. Didn't care for any factory loadings. My loads were very much more accurate than the stuff he factories put out at the time. I remember loading Barnes bullets with Norma cases, IMR 4350 and either Alcan or Winchester primers. I took a few game with it. My components were not cheap. I had to cast for the 33 Winchester, 38-56 Winchester, 38-55, etc. If ammo existed, a place called Old Western Scounger carried it.

Zuke, in the early 80s, I had a Contender barrel chambered in 35-30/30. I thought it was an original idea and was a great cast shooter. I found out that it was older cartridge that predated my grandfather. It was done to rebore shot out 30-30 and 32 Winchester barreled lever actions. Here I thought I had something and just reinvented the wheel.

I like cast in the 30-06 and carry a few loaded with Blue Dot to take out rabbits and squirrels or other edibles or pests. I wouldn't waste an expensive boutique bullet on that purpose.

I remember when Lee made moulds from .22 caliber and up and were a catalogued item! My favorite non gas checked 44 mag mould is the 255 grain custom Lee mould. I have quite a few custom Lee moulds. They work well. I have a very large number of Lee bullet sizers. I've had good luck with them although I will use a Lyman or a Star for volume production. The Lee hand press has followed me through the years while other Lee presses minus their progressive and CC series have not. The same for their powder measures except for their powder scoops.

I want to give a thankful shout out to Vaquero and Beesdad for answering Lee questions truthfully and honestly. They can tell you the strengths, weaknesses, and limitations of a tool they own. I do the same with what I own. I may not have very many Lee tools outside of moulds and sizers, but I have bought other stuff and returned it as they do honor their 30-day money back guarantee if bought from them.

To the OP, there has been mentioned of procedures or stuff you can do to help with your powder measure. Personally I would send it back and allow Lee to fix the problem. If that doesn't work then your other option is to buy something else.

take care

r1kk1

Boolit Master
    yeah, I mounted mine on a 4 X 9" piece of lumber I had laying around. I mounted it facing the short side and always fought a little "typsy" syndrome when I actuated the drum to dispense the powder.

Finally, I changed it to face the long side. Man, it works so much better. Not tippy at all.
    "What makes you think I care" ........High Plains Drifter

Rick C.

I lapped mine today. Much smoother and leaks less. However, it still does spits one past the wiper on the upstroke. Any way to stop this?

Boolit Master