RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Anyone own a Coonan 357 Magnum 1911?

Frosted Boolits

Anyone own a Coonan 357 Magnum 1911?

Looking for feedback on the 357 Mag 1911 pistol. Anyone that owns one and wants to share their experiences would be greatly appreciated. Found a couple older thtreads but wondered if anyone has purchased one recently? Leadtimes? Thanks!
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Boolit Master
    I owned two of the model B Coonan's back about ten or twelve years ago. Both guns shot very, very accurately. They used the same springs any 1911 used and you could tailor your loads any way you liked. The downside to the guns was service. It seems that Dan Coonan either wasn't in charge of the company or there was a divorce or something going on at the time. I always dealt with a woman named Jerri (if I remember correctly) who was either his wife or ex-wife and she owned the company. While having one gun back at the factory, they went belly up and it took a little over a year to get the gun back. I believe the "new" Coonan gun has something to do with Dan Coonan but based on my last experience with this company I'd run away from giving then around seventeen hundred dollars for a gun. Based on his last venture into the world of firearms manufacturing he doesn't seem to have a lot of longevity. You could spend a lot of money on a gun you can't get repaired or serviced. I ended up selling both of then and got a custom shop S&W in .356TSW and a Les Behr in 38Super. The Coonan is a nice idea but doesn't seem to do any one thing very well. You can get the same performance out of a revolver and use any load in the gun and it will fire. Not so with a semi-automatic. Time will tell if the new Coonan will be around but I'd shy away from betting on it.

Not sure I agree with you NSB. I bought a new "Classic" in February and it is very well made. If anyone wishes to research the trials and travails of the company it is well documented online so I will not dig into it. Dan Coonan is back in charge and the product has been updated. It now has an improved trigger and a skeletonized hammer for better lock time. Mine has adjustable Kensight tritium night sights and checkered grips. I did break its sharp edges and add skateboard tape to the front strap. Otherwise it is stock. It comes with a light spring for shooting .38 Special. Any 1911 spring may be substituted to tailor it to specific loads.

The trigger is top-notch, as is a friend's Model B. Both chamber anything, however, the Lyman 358429 will not fit into the magazine unless crimped over the driving band or using short brass. It is in the eye of the beholder whether it is "better or worse" than the 10mm, but energy-wise, best loads in the Coonan exceed energy levels of the 10, bullet weights being equal. (Heavier bullets are more common in the 10) Try this on for size - the Buffalo Bore 125 grain JHP (advertised at 1,700 fps) delivers 1,770 in the Coonan due to its lack of a barrel to cylinder gap. Recoil is very low for a load of this power. Flash is minimal. I find these to be more accurate than older Smith and Wesson's but maybe not quite as good as most Rugers and the Colt Python.

Lead times are "a while" but getting shorter. Mine took a year but we have two coming in that we only ordered 3 months ago. They can quote you when you call.

Cast loads are very accurate in the pistol. And, I am beginning to suspect that a gas check is less necessary in the Coonan than in revolvers. (In my experience a gas check boolet is always more accurate than a flat base and is one reason why writers like Keith (who didn't use them) had low esteem for the accuracy of the .357 in comparison to the .41 and .44. in revolvers)

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    [QUOTE=Throwback;2858344] Cast loads are very accurate in the pistol. And, I am beginning to suspect that a gas check is less necessary in the Coonan than in revolvers. [QUOTE]

A friend got one of the new ones a few months ago. Very nice gun. As you suspect, a plain base boolit shoots quite well in it... at full magnum velocities.

Groo here
    I have a Compact NRA coming in about a month.
    Breakin will be about 200 rds of Jword bullets after which I will try your 145 gr boolet of the 640 design.
    45 2.1 --- have you tried the 2 part tumble lube ?
    We tried some on a 215 swc 41 boolet with 6gr trailboss powder --- groups fantastic --- shoots like the police [ PoPo for you homeies]
    loads.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Throwback View Post
    Not sure I agree with you NSB. I bought a new "Classic" in February and it is very well made. If anyone wishes to research the trials and travails of the company it is well documented online so I will not dig into it. Dan Coonan is back in charge and the product has been updated. It now has an improved trigger and a skeletonized hammer for better lock time. Mine has adjustable Kensight tritium night sights and checkered grips. I did break its sharp edges and add skateboard tape to the front strap. Otherwise it is stock. It comes with a light spring for shooting .38 Special. Any 1911 spring may be substituted to tailor it to specific loads.

The trigger is top-notch, as is a friend's Model B. Both chamber anything, however, the Lyman 358429 will not fit into the magazine unless crimped over the driving band or using short brass. It is in the eye of the beholder whether it is "better or worse" than the 10mm, but energy-wise, best loads in the Coonan exceed energy levels of the 10, bullet weights being equal. (Heavier bullets are more common in the 10) Try this on for size - the Buffalo Bore 125 grain JHP (advertised at 1,700 fps) delivers 1,770 in the Coonan due to its lack of a barrel to cylinder gap. Recoil is very low for a load of this power. Flash is minimal. I find these to be more accurate than older Smith and Wesson's but maybe not quite as good as most Rugers and the Colt Python.

Lead times are "a while" but getting shorter. Mine took a year but we have two coming in that we only ordered 3 months ago. They can quote you when you call.

Cast loads are very accurate in the pistol. And, I am beginning to suspect that a gas check is less necessary in the Coonan than in revolvers. (In my experience a gas check boolet is always more accurate than a flat base and is one reason why writers like Keith (who didn't use them) had low esteem for the accuracy of the .357 in comparison to the .41 and .44. in revolvers)
    I don't know why you brought up the quality of the new vs. the old. I never made any negative comments about the gun. My comments were about the company, past vs. present. Both of my "old" guns were top notch quality. They shot great and the triggers were around 2-2.5lbs. I said they may or may not be around in the long run and time would tell. I also said I would shy away from these guns at the price since you may be stuck with a paperweight if history repeats itself. I'm glad you're happy but it doesn't change who's running the show.

Boolit Master

Coonan experimented with .256 Win Mag autos. Always thought I'd like to try one of them.

The .357 a friend had was a great shooter with cast bullets. .38s shot all right but the .357 was king except for the fact that it threw brass 20 feet to the right./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Coonan experimented with .256 Win Mag autos. Always thought I'd like to try one of them.

The .357 a friend had was a great shooter with cast bullets. .38s shot all right but the .357 was king except for the fact that it threw brass 20 feet to the right./beagle
    You can change the spring and the gun will throw them far or near depending on the spring used. If it's tossing them 20ft, use a heavier spring. I used to keep several springs on hand for different loads. It's easy enough to change them.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Groo View Post
    45 2.1 --- have you tried the 2 part tumble lube?
    No, I lube everything I shoot in the Lyman 450's with my own lube.

Boolit Master

I used to own two Model Bs back in for about 20 yrs before I sold them. Never had any issues that were gun related (did have one CCI Blazer round that had a case head rupture when shooting in the snow when I first got to Bad Tolz Germany in 88') After the First Gulf War used to shoot ISPC with it in stock auto in middle Tennesse. My main two loads were either a 125 gr JHP or 158gr LSWC (never used a Gas Check) at full velocity. Quality was always top notch but I have not handled any of the new ones.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

Boolit Master

Hey boys,

havent posted in a while, mostly lurking for the last year or so as wife and I have been helping raise a new grandchild --- not a bad thing but very tiring at this age along with other responsibilities. My buddy Bob probably thinks I passed away...

Anyway in response to the Coonan thread I'll let you know. I ordered two consecutively serial numbered Coonans for Wife and I last February and recently called to check on them. Coonan was extremely professional and when we checked phone numbers one digit in my area code had been transposed.....UGH! SOOOO we got that straightened out and "Christie" was nice enough to shove me to the front of the line where I should have been and then I paid for them.

When I originally ordered the wait time was 8-10 months, she explained it is now a 3-8 week wait!!!! WOO-HOO! Can't wait to get my hands on them as I am a .357 "guy" (OK I do LOVE my .45ACP's which is one reason I'm looking SOO forward to these pistols.) When I do get them, be assured I will post as to how they come out. These are my first firearms purchases since Grandson was born in June 2013 ---- really unusual for me! I also talked to Bob Mernickle about some custom shoulder holsters too <GRIN>

......and YES, I will post pics!

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

I was handling a friend's Coonan 357 today! The grip is very comfortable, and does not feel unusually large. The trigger is perfect! He said he would loan it to me anytime, so I may shoot it soon. If it's as nice as it appears to be I may have to get one.

Boolit Mold
    I have two Coonan's one a Classic and the other a camo dark black style. I have been loading mainly a 125 gr jhp, but do have moulds for 130 gr round nose and 158 gr wadcutters. Have been doing some casting, but need to mould from a harder lead compound, pure is too soft, and leads faster. I will do more loading and shooting this winter and will post on here my results and info on how it shoots. All I can say now is when at the range shooting everyone asks what the hell are you shooting as the case's fly around 15 to 20 ft away. Flash from the barrel is great, Herco powder good for daylight, but after dark is a fireball effect. Really fun to shoot and can pack it on hip and doesn't show too bad. Have a holster from NW Tactical in Rustin, WA, (253-882-6208) they have a mold for the Coonan that fits it like a glove.

Just purchased a Early pre 98 Coonan , complete with 2 extra sets of grips and 2 extra mags and Original box early B serial #.I own several S&W 357 mag Revolvers, Remington R1 1911, but when I saw this for sale on a local Forum I had to have it. Hope to shoot it very soon.
    Looking for others thoughts on this Pistol. All reply's and comments Welcome.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coonan 357 Mag.jpg