MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Lee 'push thru sizer'.

Boolit Buddy

The Lee 'push thru sizer'.

Has anyone used one, or have seen a review of it is use?

Opinions, from users (past users also), etc ...

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    They're decent enough. On the positive side, you don't need a top punch like the lube resizers. You can accidentally push one through on a slight angle, shaving lead & lube off your boolit. They're made to be exactly .308 or .401 for example, but you'll likely want one slightly larger, making you regret buying one a little too early and forcing you to lap it open a little. I am annoyed I have to lube, resize, then remove that lube before heat treating, and lube again... so I just moly spray them (just like LLA tumble treatment) before resizing. They can be heat treated and lubed as is, that way. Or I'll moly them again and put them through an impact tumble coat.

I want to size them, heat treat them, then powder coat them (extra .001" each side) for a tight chambering... I wish there was a way around having to clean the lube off them first. My pistol mold (.402) is dropping at .399" with this alloy, so resizing would be a waste of time, and will just be PC'd. Trying an alloy modification (I added a little bismuth) to try to get them to drop over .400", waiting on time shrinkage to finish elapsing for final measurement.
    Last edited by Forgetful; 12-17-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Are there any options to lubing the boolits other than Lee Tumble or 'cake cutter'?

Try this ... so far ,everyone likes it ! .. very simple .
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-L-Liquid-Lube
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Boolit Master

I use dish soap. Washes right off.

Boolit Master

I have an RCBS lubrisizer and I only size my bullets in Lee push through dies. I do lubricate them in the lubrisizer but use an oversized die to do so. I don't lube the bullets before sizing and have had no problems.
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by sojerguy View Post
    Are there any options to lubing the boolits other than Lee Tumble or 'cake cutter'?
    Yeah, with Powder Coat (PC) you don't need lube at all. Polyester PC via dry electrostatic tumble method (plastic 6mm airsoft as media) is popular.

I have 4 at this point and consider them a very handy tool that I'd hate to be without.

I do think once you get to the point where you have a Lubrisizer with dies for most calibers, you probably won't use them a lot.

For me, I don't do huge masses of boolits, normally only 50 - 100 at a time so I have not yet seen the point in investing in a dedicated unit.

From my experience they tend to throw small not large. A brand new .309 sizer is pushing .311 cast boolits coming out at .308.
    You can use that in some cases to get smaller or to get to a size they don't sell.

If you want it bigger it is not a big job in my opinion to make it bigger with some emery cloth and a piece of dowel. Trick is to push a boolit through every so often and measure.

They are the cheapest way I know of to crimp a gas check onto a cast boolit.
    I currently have 4, .309 for small .311 boolits for my 7.62x25 Cz-52 pistol rounds.
    .312 for my Yugo SKS 7.82x39. This started as a .311 throwing actual .310.
    .314 for my pair of Mosin's in 7.62x54

And a .357 that is throwing .358 158 gr Tumble lube boolits small enough to fit into a 9mm case at .356.

Great tool, good price, durable, seems to last long. I only have maybe 1k boolits through my first one that I modified.

As for Lube I would agree with Digger, try some Liquid Lube. 60% Johnson liquid wax, 40% Alox. Or, mix the contents of a 4 oz alox bottle with a measured 6 oz of liquid wax. I would put some of that wax in the alox bottle and shake it vigerously a couple times to get all the alox out.

Put sized boolits in container with a small amount of lube, do a slow roll, slide swirl to mix.
    I like to set mine out to dry in cheap white foam blocks and set the boolits nose down. The bottoms will dry, when dry I clean the still damp noses and stack away in a labeled container until I need them.

Not that it has to be done that way, its just the way I'm doing it.

Boolit Master
    I use one at .356 for my 9mm projectiles, still going fine after pushing at least 80k projectiles through it. Mine are lubed with a non stick coating before sizing though, that makes it so i don't have direct lead contact or sticky lube around.

It was cheap and works just fine for me.

Boolit Buddy

They work fine. Polish them out before use. 400 grit on dowel.
    A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that. - Shane

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.
    Sir Winston Churchill

The truth that makes men free is for the most part the truth which men prefer not to hear.
    Herbert Agar

434-1

Yep, bought one for my 44-40. I like the way it can be screwed into a spare hole in the turret. Works great - well, it did once I figured out I'd screwed it too far into the turret! I wondered why it took a lot of force to push the boolit up, once I backed it out so it was only just in it was much better.

Boolit Master
    i use one for 308 an357mag ,work well for putting gas checks on.then relube with lla.dont size plain base

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    Yep, bought one for my 44-40. I like the way it can be screwed into a spare hole in the turret. Works great - well, it did once I figured out I'd screwed it too far into the turret! I wondered why it took a lot of force to push the boolit up, once I backed it out so it was only just in it was much better.
    I did that also!

A typical Lee product. They are simply engineered, straight forward in operation, affordable and do there intended purpose of mashing lead down to the desired size. I have several in different pistol calibers from 356 to 452. All of them throw within .0005 of the listed size. The only con that I have found is when I get in hurry I'll occasionally pinch a finger holding the boolit in place as it's rammed into the sizing die.

Boolit Master
    I just bought one today in .323 for a Winchester 1894 in 32 Special I have. For $20 it was the least expensive way to install gas checks on the RCBS bullets I cast. Works great!

I then used Red Rooster lube....cast some of 1-20 alloy and a bunch in linotype. Those Linotype bullets are extremely hard and used all the force a Rock Chucker and Imperial Die Wax could muster!
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Boolit Master
    I like the 120-125 grain cast bullets for poking 38 cal holes in paper and cans. I use the Star for that. When I want to use those bullets for 9MM, out comes the Lee and I run those through as they are already lubed. Make and stock one size, size to what else you need, when you have the need. Very handy items to have on the shelf. Dusty

Boolit Buddy
    Love mine. I have a .452, .311, .357 and a .315. I double LLA lube all my boolits, rifle or handgun. I push then through before lubing, never had a problem. I use it to seat my gas checks for my rifle boolits at the same time; incredibly handy.

Those thick lubes and lubrisizer contraptions are too expensive for me and I've never needed a thicker lube.

Emrah

Easy to open up for different caliber's when I want to try paper patching a different caliber

Boolit Master
    I see no need for them, I use the Star and size nose first and lube at the same time, fast accurate and no mess, no waiting till tomorrow to dry, no cookie sheets or tin foil/wax paper.

Boolit Grand Master

Usually undersized. And once velocity is turned up TL won't cut it. I never bothered w/ pan lubing as I saw it as a massive waste of time. Have two LAM1s and a Star. My time is more valuable then saving pennies sizing and lubing any other way.