Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uberti 1873 32-20 on my short list

Boolit Master

Uberti 1873 32-20 on my short list

I have decided to buy a 1873 32WCF. After a lot of thought and looking the 1873 is just too appealing to pass up. Im not a cowboy action shooter and only intend to take the gun to the range and plink. Its a gun that would make me happy to own and just get out to look at.

I have read it may need a trigger job but that does not seem like a big deal on these guns. The Cimarron deluxe model with 24" barrel is the one I like the best.

I would like some input for people shooting a repo 1873. looking for information on bullet mold and maybe some loads you like. I have 2 big jugs of Trail boss.

Boolit Buddy
    I had one a few years ago. It was accurate but heavy,they are built with the 44-40 mag. tube, not with the smaller diameter tube for the 32-20 like the originals. I used the lyman 3118 bullet and 4.2 grs. unique powder.

Boolit Master
    Im not sure that is a deal breaker but it does give me something to think about. I don't care about the weight but would like it to be original as possible.

Boolit Master
    I'd keep a look out at local auctions. I've seen old winchesters in calibers like 44-40 and 32-20 go under a grand because no one wants them. The 30-30s always go for crazy money.
    I got a Marlin 1894 made in 1901 for $550.

Boolit Buddy
    Like Rimfire said it will be heavy. but the 32-20 is prolly My favorite caliber. I would look for a short barrel rifle or a saddle ring carbine. I sold My Uberti '73 because it was absolutely perfect...I knew it was a matter of time and I'd drop it in the mud. and of course I wish I still had it......

Boolit Grand Master

The 1873 is on my list as well but I wound up with a vintage 1892 rifle. Bore is pretty ugly but the NOE 314008 (his version of the 3118) shows promise in my 32-20 revolvers and should do well in your 1873. Lee has a nice litte 90 gr TL boolit that my revolvers do very well with. I love these little cartridges that get so much performance out of so little powder and lead.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I have the .38 Special, Uberti. It has become my favorite gun among many others. I chose the .38 for the ample resources for reloading and ease of handling (just the right amount of recoil). A 125 gr bullet over 4-4.5 gr of Trail Boss is perfect for plinking.

The Whisper Spring Kit with hardened screws from The Smith Shop was easy to install and made a huge difference in action smoothness. Hap provides great customer service. I included the light duty mainspring and the coil safety spring. I took about .010 off the thickness of the loading gate spring and she runs like a Swiss watch.

Most of the heavy weight feel on these rifles is in the octagonal barrel if you go that way. If you opt for the round barrel versions only feel slightly or no heavier than the trimmer 1892 action. At least that's what my hands tell me. Of course a scale may say different. But our bodies are good at not feeling the weight if it's well distributed. And generally octagonal barrels put that extra weight out where we notice it the most for good or bad.

Cowboy shooters that run the guns with .38Spl run into issues with the smaller rounds in the big mag tubes when shooting very fast. But the good news is that there are kits that have a light liner tube, smaller magazine spring and smaller follower to sleeve the magazine down to work perfectly with the smaller cases. However if you're cycling fairly slowly like you would be when plinking you may find that you don't have an issue. Or at least you only notice a slight occasional hangup. If you get that and it bothers you then smoothness is only a liner kit away.

Triggers are rather subjective. You may find that the stock trigger right out of the box is just fine. Same with the lever feel. However here again if you are enjoying the rifle in the stock setup as it comes out of the box I'd suggest that it would make you grin like a the Cheshire cat from Alice In Wonderland if you were to get it slicked up a bit. I would not suggest making it run as "loose" as what they do for cowboy action. Something in between would be better for plinking and general use. A good cowboy action smith would know exactly what to change based on talking with you.

First off though, shoot the gun as it comes and see if anything NEEDS fixing to suit you. If it all works right but you would like it to all just run a little smoother then get a general smooth&tune and lighter spring kit and call it a day.
    Witty saying to be plagarized shortly.....

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the information. Im going to consider this some more before I make a decision. I have been looking a the Yelloow boy in 38spl and the 1876 in 50-95. Just want a gun to take to the range and have fun. I may save the 32-20 for a 94 or low wall. I thought I knew what I wanted but the tube size being wrong is a glaring mistake. Im selling a bunch of stuff and want to add a few guns back to the safe. Going to get one in January and wait a few months until the new wears off to buy another one.

Boolit Master

I found myself in luck a couple weeks back. A contractor that was tearing down an old house found an 1873 in 32-20 in the crawl space and sold it to another smith. This smith traded it to me for some machine work. The bore is gone and I don't think I could save the lettering on the barrel but the action works smooth. Butt stock is in fare condition but the forearm has a few chips. I picked up another barrel that has good lettering and will reline it for a shooter. Most likely will need a new mag tube and ring but that's not a problem. S/N puts it at 1895. Now all I need is time to work on it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    I found myself in luck a couple weeks back. A contractor that was tearing down an old house found an 1873 in 32-20 in the crawl space and sold it to another smith. This smith traded it to me for some machine work. The bore is gone and I don't think I could save the lettering on the barrel but the action works smooth. Butt stock is in fare condition but the forearm has a few chips. I picked up another barrel that has good lettering and will reline it for a shooter. Most likely will need a new mag tube and ring but that's not a problem. S/N puts it at 1895. Now all I need is time to work on it.

Why am I not surprised you just got a gun that I would want!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GARD72977 View Post
    Why am I not surprised you just got a gun that I would want!
    I looked for a Uberti in 32-20 and didn't find anything. Prices for the 1873 Ubertis seem to be all over the place from $500 +, then the added expense to make it a 32-20. There is a frame and barrel on Gunbroker in 32-20, might be a place to start. Homestead parts may have a lot of the parts needed but then you might have more money in it than it would ever be worth. I'm going to play with the one I have, may sell it someday.

Boolit Master

Boolit Master

While it doesn't have the panache of an 1873 in 32/20, I did just pick this Marlin 1894 in 32/20 up today. Perhaps this would be an option for you? I'm looking forward to working up a load for the 115 grain 32/20 boolit for it. Hopefully it will shoot the load for my 32/20 revolver well.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Dixie guns works had Uberti 1866 yellowboys on sale in .32-20 with the round barrel. I think it was funny length barrel- like 19" or so. I keep seeing a marlin 1894 in .25-20, but I really don't want to part with anything and I'm trying not to start any new calibers with hard to find brass at the moment. Would be fun, good luck in your endeavor.

Boolit Master
    The 19" is a carbine and a 20" is a short rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by John Taylor View Post
    .... Now all I need is time to work on it.
    Why don't you sell the gun to me and then put it on your profit making production schedule? Get her done and make us both smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Scharfschuetze View Post
    While it doesn't have the panache of an 1873 in 32/20, I did just pick this Marlin 1894 in 32/20 up today. Perhaps this would be an option for you? I'm looking forward to working up a load for the 115 grain 32/20 boolit for it. Hopefully it will shoot the load for my 32/20 revolver well.
    I have the same rifle and have a very high opinion of it as it is my go to gun for anything but animals bigger than coyote. Mine does not look as nice as yours as it is a working rifle with many miles on the truck dash board and in a saddle scabbard on the motorcycle but it really works with 10 grains of 2400 and a 105 gr. cast bullet.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the tip on the 32/20 load Dan. I don't have a 105 grain mould, but I will keep that in mind if my 115 grainers don't work out. Just got 'a love a good cast boolit round like the 32/20 no matter what rifle it's in.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Why don't you sell the gun to me and then put it on your profit making production schedule? Get her done and make us both smile.
    I have a back log of work now that is 6 months. I have not advertised for 9 years and the work just keeps coming in. I have several guns in the works for myself that I get little time to work on. Three of the guns I have built for myself have not been to the range yet.