RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buying A Good Powder Measure

Boolit Master
    This is the very best especially with extruded powder:

http://www.neiljones.com/html/measure.html

They hold the tolerances so close that most of the competitive shooters I was around exchanged load data in clicks of their Neil Jones measures.

But I own Harrell's Premium and Shutzen/Pistol powder measures to cover everything. I also have a Belding & Mull for hunting loads to get close and trickle up.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by A pause for the COZ View Post
    I found a way around the Keen eye issue and the 505 also a good use for all the old computer junk I have around.
    USB cam!!! Now I can see what I am doing.
    This is from before I learned my PPM can do these loads better.
    You could make that rig more accurate by hotgluing a 1/2" steel wire, 24gauge or so, to the indicator. A needle would work too. Balance the scale with a little hot glue on the other side.. trim to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    The Redding is very nice used one for years now use a Saeco!
    I feel the same way,Saeco's are smooth and the best I've used so far.
    If you see one on ebay jump on it.

Coz, I like it - powder cam!

Boolit Buddy
    For my pistol stuff I use the Pro Auto disk measures. I have a uniflow and a lyman 55 for the rifle stuff. @a pause for the COZ:: I LOVE that dual measure setup!!
    Quickshot

Boolit Master
    The throwers only seem to be accurate to about a grain, give or take.
    Not sure what you're using but my 55's drop most powders right on the nut, within a half of a tenth anyway, every time. I generally check every tenth drop or so, but its always right there.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post
    The throwers only seem to be accurate to about a grain, give or take. Manual scales are accurate to 0.05 grain, or better, with a keen eye.
    I don't own a measure that leaks or throws that loose to a grain. Ball or flake, Dillons throw to the tenth. JDS QM will do that with ball, stick or flake. I don't own any other measure besides the ChargeMaster and that's dead on or within a tenth.

Take care

r1kk1

Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    I don't own a measure that leaks or throws that loose to a grain. Ball or flake, Dillons throw to the tenth. JDS QM will do that with ball, stick or flake. I don't own any other measure besides the ChargeMaster and that's dead on or within a tenth.

Take care

r1kk1
    you could prolly be that far off with dippers ..maybe.

Banned

i'd never trust any powder measure, no matter how expensive, and i've tried more than a few in the $300-$500 price range. i use 4 lee precisions, one for each powder flavor, smokeless and black (for bpcr only). they're set to throw a powder charge that gets me close, but no cigar. i want precise loads, and that means scaling every throw and trickling to hit the mark. i use digital and analog scales. i throw and weigh for .45acp and .45-70 alike. the only time i'll rely on a volume thrown charge without scaling is for my flintlocks. ymmv.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rfd View Post
    i'd never trust any powder measure, no matter how expensive, and i've tried more than a few in the $300-$500 price range. i use 4 lee precisions, one for each powder flavor, smokeless and black (for bpcr only). they're set to throw a powder charge that gets me close, but no cigar. i want precise loads, and that means scaling every throw and trickling to hit the mark. i use digital and analog scales. i throw and weigh for .45acp and .45-70 alike. the only time i'll rely on a volume thrown charge without scaling is for my flintlocks. ymmv.
    yeah, I throw and weigh, too. Throwers are good enough for plinking or hunting, but not when you demand the tightest groups.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmortimer View Post
    I have been reading up on this for the past couple days, and I have determined to get this after reading 100s of reviews:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/466...ProductFinding
    Bought mine in 1970 been happy with it since

Boolit Master
    had to know where this would go
    the Lyman 55 is best out there or the others wouldn't keep changing theirs to keep up
    the 55 has been around for 50 + yrs and it still works

Boolit Grand Master

One of the better measures made was the Culiver conversion, and it was a lymann 55 that was reworked. You almost never see a culiver conversion for sale as the guys who have them keep them. I use several measures and all do as expected pretty much. One thing I like with the harrels and some others is the adapter that allos powder bottles to screw on in place of a hopper. When ready to change over or done remove measure tip upside down and shake a few times. unscrew bottle work drum a few times over bottle and put lid back on can.

Boolit Buddy
    Not that I'm an expert on measures and I have never had an expensive measure but my Saecos are the smoothest, tightest most fun to use. The are accurate but I wouldn't say that much more than my others. They are dedicated to my most used rifle loads. I have a belding and mull I use some mainly because I think it's neat. I like making dedicated charge tubes so it's fun to tinker with. Have an old rebuilt Lyman 55 I use for working up loads because it's easy to adjust and dump powder from. These are all accurate and fun to use. I have a special use for all of them and they fill the need. I have a Dillon with two measures which work great but not much fun to use. I load pistol ammo on the Dillon because I don't like loading for pistols one at a time. The worst measure I've had and didn't like to use is the RCBS. I consider myself an RCBS customer and most of my stuff is RCBS but I never did like their measures. I think most of us base our favorites more on how they look, feel when using, ease of use like dumping powder more than how accurate they are because most will do a very adequate job of throwing consistent accurate charges. Operators have a lot to do with being consistent. I have never found a moderately priced measure that likes the long grain IMR powders.

I guess where I'm going with all this rambling is there are a lot of moderately priced measures out there that do a very good job. It's hard to single one out as the best. Get an affordable one so you'll have more money to buy more. Measures and presses are fun to collect and display.

Floyd

Boolit Master
    i use digital and analog scales
    A Lyman 55 will easily throw most powders within the error margin of a digital scale.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by str8wal View Post
    A Lyman 55 will easily throw most powders within the error margin of a digital scale.
    no, it will not. i've proven this to myself and others on more than one occasion - not even close to .1 grain, and my two digitals are good to .02 grain.

there is no powder measure (volume throw) that can match a good scale (mass weight), particularly a good digital scale.

there's nothing wrong with throwing powder. it all depends on the level of accuracy required for the task at hand. if you want top precision, it Must be scaling over throwing. it is what it is.

no, it will not. i've proven this to myself and others on more than one occasion - not even close to .1 grain, and my two digitals are good to .02 grain.

there is no powder measure (volume throw) that can match a good scale (mass weight), particularly a good digital scale.

there's nothing wrong with throwing powder. it all depends on the level of accuracy required for the task at hand. if you want top precision, it Must be scaling over throwing. it is what it is.
    Yep, some folks here think a Harrell's is all you need for the most precise applications, because all the BR shooters use them. It simply comes down to the weight of a charge and the only method to achieve that goal......wait for it........is to actually weight it......

Boolit Grand Master

So BR shooting is not the most precise shooting you can do? They don't get hung up on if it's the same charge down to .000000001 grains because it doesn't matter. I loaded up 100 rounds w/ the Lee PAD last weekend. Decided to weigh every charge after it was thrown. All of them were 4.2 grains. I'm happy w/ that performance.

Boolit Master

I check every 10th throw or so and they always make weight. Digital scales claim to guarantee accuracy to within .1 grain only, although some may be better than others. I use a beam scale and verify with check weights. I won't deny that a PERFECT scale will outperform a dropper, but most digital scales aren't perfect. I have loads measured to the half of a tenth and my 55's giterdun, and if off by a quarter of a tenth would basically be within your own .02 margin of error.
    Last edited by str8wal; 12-21-2014 at 10:21 AM.

I've found I need more than one measure and after 40 years I've settled on four. My original Redding (ball powder), RCBS Little Dandy, a set of Lee Dippers, and the absolute best for extruded powders, the JDS Quick Measure. After getting used to the tubes and required powder funnels it is the easiest and fastest to use, extremely accurate, never cuts powder grains. No rotary drum measure can compare. This doesn't include the measures on my Dillon machines but that's a seperate issue. I'm still considering a JDS conversion for these so I can load extruded powder progressively. I keep an ancient Lyman around because it is a marvelous piece of engineering. Evening thing else has gone down the road.