RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boolit failure or classic Nosler partition performance?

Boolit Mold
    Wolfer, This is pretty typical of cb hollow points in a rifle. Just a week ago I shot a medium-sized buck (about 160 lbs. we're talking big northern whitetails here). Bullet used was a 190 grn. Lee with a drilled hp from my .308 at 150 yards. Muzz.velocity is 1950+-. Almost identical to your description, lungs looked like he swallowed a grenade but small exit hole. As we had 3" of snow I was lucky enough to follow the bullet track and found the slug. Nose was blown off to resemble a flat cylinder and weighs 155 grns. Bullet failure? Hell no he made it about 10 yards and piled up. Odicoilius Manitoba Canada

Boolit Master
    Odicoilius
    I see your pretty new here and I'm sure you've been welcomed but let me add a welcome also.
    There are many people on here who don't like HPs. Personally I've had good results with them and plan on continueing to use them.
    Ive always believed a person should try everything possible and then use what works for them.

There are probably an equal number on here that do like HPs.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

A 260 in .454 Casul failed to open and we dug the bullet out of a tree only to find the nose of the bullet rolled over and it did not expand. That was ten years ago and my last hunt with jacketed bullets. Its a post WWII design that solved the problem with jacket,lead seperation, not needed any longer if you use hp's.
    Scout,plan,execute, repeat

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    What we have is the classic confrontation of a light fast hollow point versus a heavy slow blunt nose boolit. It could be noted that both work..... however I got VERY tired of game running off with NO blood trail to be found. I cured that with relatively heavy hollow points that blow off the nose and leave the rest to punch thru. That sure cured the game running off................

Boolit Buddy
    G'Day
    Well everyone has there own preferance and unless your with the other bloke you can't say what is correct for their situation. I use HPs almost exclusively as they suit Wallaby hunting best and that's my main hunting. But I've used both WFN and hp on Fallow deer and HP gets my vote.
    Juddy

Boolit Master
    After reading the original post, I decided to go load up some .338" 220gr RNGC's for the .338MX I had hollow pointed some time back.
    I had 2 weeks before, shot a smallish deer with 200gr FNGC from my .35Rem and was unimpressed with terminal performance. (1,900fps w/34.5gr H4895).

I was hoping for better performance from hollow-pointed bullet.

Indeed !!! I shot a ~140lb buck at ~35yds with load of 40.0gr of RL15 under the hollow-pointed Lee 220gr RNGC which run about 218gr hollow-pointed (~2,000fps). alloy is acww w/2% lead-free solder added.

bullet impacted mid-rib cage and exited just behind left shoulder. Entry wound was 3/8" and exit wound was 1"x2", or large enough for golf-ball to enter. Deer was knocked off his feet at shot and stumbled about 50' and fell and kicked twice. Double lung shot took out middle half of his lungs. Good blood trail.

From now on, all my "hunting" slugs will be hollow pointed. I've got a drill press and it's easy to use an automatic center punch to mark and then use a wooden cloths pin to hold the boolit while I drill it. Takes longer to describe than to do it. Not neccessary for target shooting but easy enough for a hunting "shot".
    FWIW; when I tested the boolits at the range previously, the HP's actually were slightly more accurate at 100yds (2" five-shots vs. 2.5" five shots...