MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Holster evolution for my CZ75B. Sometimes there's a lot of time and lost leather tuit

Boolit Buddy

Holster evolution for my CZ75B. Sometimes there's a lot of time and lost leather tuit

I like designing and making my own holsters for me and my family. I learned what I know of leather from two wonderful web forums. Like this one, those sites are full of folks willing and able to help a new learner with the ins and outs of the craft.
    This particular holster in the first two photos is first try of two efforts I've put into a CZ75B holster. The second five-photo set is what I came up with after making changes to the first version. For the record I generally carry a Ruger SP101 revolver daily, but enjoy using something different at times just because I can. My preferred method of carry has mostly been pocket carry but as I've aged, I've seen a need for access to my weapon from a seated driving position. Nor do I have to tuck in my shirt any more since my (forced) retirement due to injury. The poster board pattern pictured herein has been modified in several ways as you can see from the masking tape and added sections. Holster making is satisfying but pretty time consuming. Three years ago I started working with leather by using cheaper skins locally bought that were, I was told, meant for tool bags. I learned early on though that better looking leather, and always vegetable tanned leather is needed. The leather I buy now runs about $8 a square foot plus shipping and still has some imperfections that I must cut around. A pointed hobby knife buffed to a razor edge on a rouge impregnated cloth wheel is used to cut the leather, and I also learned quickly that a rubber cushioned knife handle is best for me. Three years of hand stitching took its toll on my hands and my pre-existing arthritis symptoms worsened to the point I dreaded stitching. At my wife and families urging, I bought a true leather sewing machine.
    I prefer simple, functionally efficient holsters, or at most those with minimal carving. Leather carving is an art unto itself and aside from some basic floral patterns I have done on my own holsters I rely on quality stitching, edging and hardware for satisfaction.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC010599.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	123443

Name:	PC010600.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	123444
    The first two photos show what I consider unacceptable in my first design attempt. A better crafter than me might suggest early on that the stitching is too close to the edge and over time may tear the leather, the body shield is too short to cover the beavertail grip fully and as an IWB holster, the portion covering the trigger guard is too low and may interfere with comfortable carry. I also felt that a wider belt strap was needed for me to help keep my holster and gun positioned as I moved around during the day. The layer of "bucket" reinforcement leather at the front does add bulk, but I like the added stiffness and kept it with version two. I guess it's a personal preference. This particular first holster ended up in several pieces under the blade of my band saw. I don't enjoy looking at booboos I can't fix. Unlike wrinkled bullets, most of my unacceptable leather projects can"t be thrown back into the pot so to say and recycled.

Name:	PC010601.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	123445

Name:	PC010602.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	123446

Name:	PC010603.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	123447

Name:	PC010604.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	123448

Name:	PC010605.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	56.2 KB 
ID:	123449
    The above five pictures show how I had to modify my pattern to address changes I wanted to make from the first holster version. My stomach is now protected fully from the pointy beavertail. The belt loop is wider and has three snaps for extra security, and the lower portion of my holster is much wider which on my build distributes the pressure of the weapon and holster without jabbing my fat when I'm in a sitting position. Friction of the wider style also helps maintain position in use. The toe of the holster (at the muzzle end) is fully closed and flexes with my body. I debated about making a radius at the point where the folded leather meets at the toe but decided against it. I may try that on another holster in the future. Also, the front of the trigger guard area is higher and doesn't catch on the bottom of my belt through my jeans. On the rear side of the first version there's no leather touching the magazine release button and the trigger is fully covered so I left that as made, copying the lines from holster one to version two. I like my triggers to be fully covered front and back, but each maker has their own preference, and I like being able to fully grab the grip of any holstered weapon before withdrawing it. I struck the right mix for me with the depth my gun inserts into the holster versus the height of the holster "bucket". I also double-row stitch at stress points for beauty and durability.
    The beautiful even black color of my holster is not from a commercial dye. Rather, it's a home-brewed mixture of iron and steel dissolved in table vinegar. The tannin in the leather reacts with the vinegar/iron solution and blackens the leather completely through with soaking. Although the leather has to be rinsed in a baking soda then clear water rinse to neutralize the vinegar mix, I like the depth of color and lack of messy fingers that "vinegaroon" allows me. You do have to neutralize the vinegar though or it can damage bluing, and cause your holster to smell like a pickle.
    My final version rides nicely for me in an appendix carry position. I can access my weapon from a sitting or standing position, and with either hand should need be (no "armchair tactician" talk here, but having suffered broken arms in the past I appreciate options).
    I finish most of my holsters with Lexol Leather Conditioner and several thinned top coats of Resolene acrylic leather finish.
    Leather crafting is enjoyable for me. I cannot do it for long stretches but my sewing machine has opened a lot of new avenues. Leather gifts like key rings, tobacco dip can belt holsters, small billfolds, bookmarks and such can sometimes generate enough revenue to support the hobby costs too.
    Although I don't feel my holster work is of marketable design and quality I'm enjoying the journey of education. Each holster I make myself allows me to enjoy using something hand made with attention to detail and great care. A good holster can cost anywhere from $45 up. Simple well made commercial holsters from materials of the quality I choose to use would cost me about $65 and up, so in some ways I can tell myself I'm saving money. At least I can pretend so.
    I highly recommend leather crafting to any shooting enthusiast wishing to add a new facet to their hobby. There's so much left for me to learn and possibilities are wide open.
    Thanks for looking, and constructive criticism is always appreciated. Don
    Last edited by Tallbald; 12-02-2014 at 11:49 AM.

Boolit Buddy

Very nice, you singled out one of the pistols that seems to have a less than abundant selection of good carry leather. Its " oh use the 92 holster , it fits" BS, there are several that "work", but none that fill the niche that I have looked for in a reasonable price range. I like that high ride look on yours. It looks as if it would suit a "to much belly, not enough *** " physique.
    I would be willing to test one out if you have a prototype you would consider selling..

Boolit Man
    I made one similar to that for mr Glock 27 and my S&W SW9VE. I find them quite comfortable even for my generous physique. I do like to have the toe open but I roll the edge to protect the muzzle.

Nice work from a fellow leather worker.

Boolit Buddy
    There is a market in well made holsters for the cz75 and clones. Only reason I don't carry mine.. That and I'd need a better belt hehe, heavy gun.

I want one for my czech !. I'd be into one for sure....probably talk my FIL into one as well , and my neighbor...yeah we love 75B's !!.
    No , I did not read that in a manual or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.... it's just the facts Ma'am.

What's the difference between a pig and an Engineer ?
    You can argue with the Pig.

Moderator Emeritus

How a small business begins, you saw it on here!