RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you could create your ultimate reloading center

Boolit Grand Master

If you could create your ultimate reloading center

In your man cave. What would it include? Which equipment? Powder, primer, brass, lead supplies? Lighting type? Floor type? What type of shelving? Any filtration? Stand up vs sit down bench? Materials? Let your imaginations run wild.

Only caveat is it must be obtainable and realistic. Example: A lexan topped bench housing a miniature dragon with fairies doing your loading while you relax in your lazyboy is not realistic.

Love Life
    A very solid, solid top, wood bench with great lighting and a Super 1050 set up in every caliber I own. I'd like the mini dragon as well.

I lived in a 600 sqaure foot condo in downtown and had a custom reloading bench (actually a cabinet) made for me. About 3 feet square at the top, easily holds a Dillon 550 and a Star sizer with room to work. Thick top, storage inside for bullets and dies, etc. The brass, powder and primers were stored in a closet in the outside hall (there had to be SOME benefit to being condo president!).
    When bought the farmhouse, I now had a real man cave. 225 square feet shed between the house and the barn. Rigged out with shelving, work bench, flourescent lighting and that same reloading bench/cabinet. Work bench on one side and work table in the middle.
    Maybe a 550 Dillon and Star sizer set for each caliber would be nice but where would I put them?
    I could use a bigger heater though. The 12,000 btu hurricane heater doesn't really heat it up all that much when it is really cold outside. Maybe gets it to 50 if I am lucky.
    Not perfect but it works for me.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mini dragon? Mini? This site is for real men and real men don't do mini dragons, we do maxi dragons!

I would want lots of shelves, very sturdy. A huge gun safe. Lots of cabinets for storing powder, primers, and stuff like that. A couple of long counters on top of storage cabinets. One for loading presses and one for cleaning guns.

A Dillon of some sort, a Redding turret, and lots of free space.

Counters designed for loading while sitting on a stool.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master

20 x 20 foot room completely encircled by filled gun racks. Adjacent to a heated and air conditioned 100 yard underground range with golf cart for changing targets and a video camera system for viewing targets. Single stage Lyman presses, Dillons, Stars, and Hollywoods as far as the eye can see. One 8 pound jug of every powder made and copper covered bullets that I need an automatic retrieval system to organize.

Casting room with appropriate ventilation. Belonging to mold of the month club with NOE, Mihec, Accurate , etc. 10 tons of ingoted W/W, 400 pounds of pure tin and 1000 pounds of lead shot

No Job. $10,000 a month allowance from my $184 million lottery win taken as a $105 million lump sum.

A suppressor on the wall for every gun I own.

Never really thought about it.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master

Big really big, you will never have to worry about running out of room.
    Ed Barrett
    AKA; elbStJoeMO
    If vegans love animal so much, why do they eat all their food?

All I want is a room somewhere, far away from the cold night air. With one enormous chair, oh wouldn't it be loverly.
    Lots of chocolate for me to eat, lots of coal makin' lots of heat. Warm face, warm hands, warm feet Oh, wouldn't it be loverly?

Really just trying to figure out space for stuff. Have enough interests that it is hard to find the room to conveniently do some of it. Don't need much really to enjoy the hobby. Enough air flow that wife does not complain about the smell from smelting WW's would be nice. For the rest, I'll make a list tuck it away and be surprised 5 years from now when I re-read the list at how much I have or have not acquired or arranged.

But hey I would take the dragon & the reloading fairies too. Maybe I could get some of Santa's elves to reload for me as a side job?

Banned

room lot's of room.
    I'd just like to be able to put what I got in 2 different areas, one would be cool.
    heck I'll settle for just being able to mount what I have now.... somewhere,,,, heated would be a super double bonus.

and since we are dreaming a 50yd indoor range would be nice.

Boolit Master

I just wish I had more room so i didn't needs shelves under my work bench top. Reason being is, I could stand or i could sit on a high bench stool with my knees under the bench. Make a work top a comfortable height to stand and sit if you get tired. If your on a long string of priming it is nice to sit or move the high stool out of the way and then you can move around easily.

- Paint the walls WHITE it helps with lighting, more important the older you get, just ask my eyes.
    - take plenty of time and measurements for you work top height, save on your back and neck.
    - Paint the floor so it is easy to keep clean.
    - keep the floor clean; have you ever tried to find a small part on a dirty floor.
    - enough shelves so you don't store things on the floor

Boolit Master

Btroj, eventually you have to slay a dragon or two and it is much, much easier to haul out of the building and bury if it is a mini dragon. Think about the cost on a Maxi dragon, you would have to purchase a good sized backhoe and a bunch of other stuff to get that Maxi in the ground. Mini's are easy, grab the tail and drag it round back and get a garden shovel and in ten minutes you are done and having a cold one.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Vendor Sponsor

Also have to be very careful not to get toxic shock from those maxi dragons
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    I want a mini dragon, That is a mini gun that breathes like a dragon.

Dillon 650s with ALL the bells and whistles including RSI bullet feeders and Inline Fab. roller handles.

Dillon primer tube fillers, large & small.

Fully automatic Roll sizers for every rifle caliber.

Magma auto casters

Fred Bertelsman trimmers for every caliber that needs trimming.

Giraud annealers

Multiple strips of LED lighting in whatever color suits your fancy.

"Don't worry what they think. In the end it is not between them and you, it is between you and God."

Je suis Charlie!

"You won't know until you Actually try it"

"The impossible just takes longer."

"Don't let them beat you down with their inexperience."

"You'll never accomplish what you don't try. " - Moldmaker

Boolit Grand Master

Dang for several years I had a "mini Dragon and fairies" loading for me. Wife and Daughters did the case prep. My son did alot of the loading. I am happy with what I have and use as is. I dont want to cast in the house, the garage is fine or on nice days the driveway getting sun and fresh air. When we built the house we added one extra bedroom which became our gun / reloading room.

+1 reloading room with an underground 100 yard proofing range with electronics target locator.
    Yeah..

Banned

I just went through this a couple of years ago and posted a similar thread about it here in Our Town and got a ton of great ideas and input, but nobody mentioned the mini-dragons at the time..... Here's the result before it was quite finished, now I can barely walk in there. See post #1006 on this page:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ch-pics/page26

If I could change anything it would be make it three times as large and have a separate, walk-in gun safe with racks all around and cabinets underneath for ammo below each gun. And a rotating easy chair right in the middle. And a hairless cat to pet while plotting to take over the world.

Gear

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    I just went through this a couple of years ago and posted a similar thread about it here in Our Town and got a ton of great ideas and input, but nobody mentioned the mini-dragons at the time..... Here's the result before it was quite finished, now I can barely walk in there. See post #1006 on this page:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ch-pics/page26

If I could change anything it would be make it three times as large and have a separate, walk-in gun safe with racks all around and cabinets underneath for ammo below each gun. And a rotating easy chair right in the middle. And a hairless cat to pet while plotting to take over the world.

Gear
    Where does Mini Me sit?

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Banned

well it would start with 1050 dillons set up in every caliber I load and an automated star with a collator and a magma casting machine.

Boolit Master
    I would start with 3 shipping containers. One 40 Ft and two 20 ft. attached at 90 degees to the 40 ft. container. They would be sandblasted and coated twice with that stuff they use for coating pickup beds. Outside then gets heavily insulated and the whole mess gets buried underground adjacent to the 100/200 yard underground range. One of the twenty footers would be for component storage the other for gun storage. The larger one is the main reloading room with the range off one end. As many 650's as I need, stars, case prep etc. Maybe a third 20 footer for smelting, casting, lubing,.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    I am almost done with mine
    Only 8x12 bot plenty of room for 2-550's, turret press, 4 lead furnaces, sizing area, three shotgun presses and case cleaning / prep area. Would loke more room for pc'ing though

Banned

The 100-yard underground shooting tunnel would be a dream come true, I could test rifle loads in the wee hours of the morning without anyone knowing. I actually have checked into this quite a bit as a "bucket list" project, due to tunnel "conditions" it gets rather complex with venting, and then even more complex because while it's fine to discharge firearms outdoors, if you move air containing GSR through a structure and discharge it to the atmosphere it then becomes an EPA emissions issue that's also subject to specific state and local regulations. Sheesh.

Gear