Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Load Data
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: dry tumble powder coating?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by bkbville View Post
    I'm looking at trying the DT method - question though about ovens - do I need a dedicated oven (i.e. should I never cook food with it again?)

I'm curious, especial with DT since there is no chemicals used as in the wet tumble method.
    Never.............I repeat>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NEVER............use that oven for food again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the outgassing from the PC forms on everything and is not recommended for human consumption.

Ovens are not that expensive. I bought a very good convection one for around $100 and it works perfectly......dead on temp......no hot spots.....no cold spots.

banger

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Some guys say theirs doesn't smell when curing.... mine smells strongly of melting polyester. And I don't spray on the same table I bake on, so I move the tray to the oven and the oven should be spotless, but now the glass door of the oven has an opaque coating on it from the fumes. You might say it doesn't hurt you, but it sure as heck leaves a coating on the inside of the oven that I wouldn't want transferring to my pan of biscuits.

You can decide for yourself.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Some guys say theirs doesn't smell when curing.... mine smells strongly of melting polyester. And I don't spray on the same table I bake on, so I move the tray to the oven and the oven should be spotless, but now the glass door of the oven has an opaque coating on it from the fumes. You might say it doesn't hurt you, but it sure as heck leaves a coating on the inside of the oven that I wouldn't want transferring to my pan of biscuits.

One day I took 2 scoops of n.o. xplode, then coated and baked some boolits while lifting weights in the garage, I definitely felt terrible afterwards.
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Boolit Grand Master

Clean that glass coating off with some 0000 steel wool and acetone! I do it about ever week. Clean as new!

banger

Depends on the paint. I don't get any smell with HF Red, but do with all powder paints Super Durable Wet Black and Teflon Black.

Boolit Master
    I clean the glass with a strat edge razer blade.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bstone5 View Post
    I clean the glass with a strat edge razer blade.
    Probably works. But you do not get that wonderful "high" from all those acetone fumes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

banger

Boolit Man
    OK, been thru these threads several times, and I read that PC adds .002 or .003 thickness. I have hundreds of 400 & 350 gr .458 bullets that I got cheap but are undersize for my Guide Gun and Handi. Both want .460. [also have a 454 Casull carbine that wants .454+ lead] So....

At Goodwill today, found a toaster oven, and 5 #5 plastic containers with lids; $11.35. At Wallys, got the black airsofts .25g [only had the big container $$$$14.95, but did it anyway]. Called HF = has 5 bags of red powder $5/.99@ - tomorrow am.

Will be better, even if it doesn't add enough diameter. At least I can shoot them at lower velocity and not have leading. May also try PC after knurling them, instead of Lee snot, then resize. Not excited about red, but if it works...

These threads seem really clear enough. I'll be trying this soon. And any suggestions on other ways to increase diameter appreciated. [Paper patch OK for Handi, not Marlin - already tried. Too powder picky too.]

Boolit Grand Master

Nobody says you can't tumble, bake and size (just to make sure it's slick and even), and then tumble and bake again and resize! It will build up.
    'Not sure if it'll contain all your horsepower behind it, but they'll definitely get bigger each coat.

I don't know if the knurling will help, but here's how one coat looks tumbled on some factory knurled bullets:

Boolit Man
    Good morning. Here's what I got today.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2783.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	122852
    I did everything I thought I was supposed to. These are boiled and acetone rinsed 45-70 slugs, black ASBBs, #5 plastic container, HFPC red. I swirled it around and shook it up and down for MINUTES not just seconds.

I also tried one of the disposable #5 glad boxes but the powder puffed out all over the place when I shook it so went to the heavier box. Same poor results with both.

the powder is not coating completely, only partially and leaving alot of the bullet surface uncovered. Please advise.

Boolit Grand Master

That's about what mine look like on the first coat with HF red. Pluck em out with whatever method you like (pliers, tweezers, forceps, bent wire, rubber gloves) while trying not to disturb that coating any more than you have to.... and bake em! Then you can hit em again and see if you don't have a nice coat after two coats. It will flow some as it cures and not be as splotchy as you'd think.

I don't get perfection with my tumbling every time, like some post evidence of. I guess it's the humidity, the elevation, the moon phase, the hairiness (or baldness) of the wooly caterpillars this year.... etc. Keep at it and you'll figure out what works for you. Maybe the nitrile glove thing will work in your area. It doesn't work here, but some sure do make some pretty boolits using it.
    Good luck!

Boolit Grand Master

Here's how mine look tumbled, before baking.

Boolit Grand Master

and after....

You might try tumbling fewer boolits at a time, so they don't bang together also. I usually don't do but about a dozen at a time in a coolwhip bowl. I want them touching the BB's and not each other. This is not the definite and only way to do it.... this is just how I was doing it. There are many ways and tricks that work for everybody, and they all seem to be slightly different.

Houston humidity. Go ahead and apply several coats, I'd size on the next-to-last coat. Boolits & powder need to be really dry to get it to work good. I'm pushing pretty fast in my rifles and a single DT coat on the bands doesn't appear to be sufficient. After ~ 100 rounds in my 1:7 BO I cleaned the barrel, left a 3x1" accumulation of grey powder on the paper but only a few sparkles of Pb. 1800 fps PB & possible sized down by the case. Tried 2 coats in MG 30/30, seemed to work better. You do have to watch seating depth as the nose gets coated heavier - may not chamber well.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rdlange View Post
    Good morning. Here's what I got today.

Name:	DSCN2783.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	122852
    I did everything I thought I was supposed to. These are boiled and acetone rinsed 45-70 slugs, black ASBBs, #5 plastic container, HFPC red. I swirled it around and shook it up and down for MINUTES not just seconds.

I also tried one of the disposable #5 glad boxes but the powder puffed out all over the place when I shook it so went to the heavier box. Same poor results with both.

the powder is not coating completely, only partially and leaving alot of the bullet surface uncovered. Please advise.
    You are finding what many have......there is a bit of voodoo needed to get BBDT to work in certain areas and climates. From what I have seen here in AZ during our "monsoon" season, humidity is your biggest enemy.

I have cleaned many thousands of old greasy boolits with 2 acetone rinses and a bath in VERY hot water and Simple Green, then HOT water rinse. You might want to try a 100 or so with the Simple Green degreasing step. Even though they may LOOK clean, there could be a tiny film of grease still on there. I have never been a fan of boiling. The ones I have done all coated ~95% on the 1st coat BBDT. And the stuff (HF red especially) does flow out when baked 400F for 10 min.

I have never had to do more than 1 coat with BBDT where I am. Your mileage may vary.

Keep trying!

banger

Boolit Master
    Got my sample pack from Smoke this morning. Decided Signal Blue would be my color today. Cast up some rounds for the 45 Colt and the 45-70, dry tumbled and baked.

Name:	PC 001.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	41.3 KB 
ID:	122891

Name:	PC 002.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	122892
    Fresh from the oven...

Name:	PC 003.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	122893
    ...and ready to shoot.

A special thanks to the trailblazers here without whose knowledge I would not have been able to do this.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good stuff!. I have some of his blue an it coats very well.....both BBDT and ESPC.

I also have excellent luck with HF red. And (using for tonal mixing) HF white & yellow. MAtte black with ESPC is a perfect coat.

banger

Hey everyone, I tested out my Toaster oven to check the temp, with a oven thermometer and its off by 80 - 85 degrees higher than the setting on the oven. Is this a good thing or bad thing. I figure if I coat boolits with spray paint, 3 layers i'd have to have the oven set at 220 degrees for 20 minutes and powder coating at 320 plus the 80 over that it comes to make 400 degrees, for 10 -12 minutes for powder, does all this sound right?

what does knurling do for the bullet? and how do you do that?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lyks2playe View Post
    Hey everyone, I tested out my Toaster oven to check the temp, with a oven thermometer and its off by 80 - 85 degrees higher than the setting on the oven. Is this a good thing or bad thing. I figure if I coat boolits with spray paint, 3 layers i'd have to have the oven set at 220 degrees for 20 minutes and powder coating at 320 plus the 80 over that it comes to make 400 degrees, for 10 -12 minutes for powder, does all this sound right?

WHAAAAAAAA?

If the oven is off by 80 degrees, write the correct temp mark on the oven front for 400F wherever that setting is. That is the ONLY setting you will ever need. Bake PC at 400F for 10 minutes after the powder turns shiny. Use a preheated oven.

If you trust that oven thermometer.

banger