MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2MCD ProductsRepackboxTitan Reloading

Thread: Reccomendations for H&G 68 Clone Mold

Boolit Buddy

Reccomendations for H&G 68 Clone Mold

I am interested in a 4 cavity mold that will be capable of plain nose and hollow point. This will be my first custom mold purchase. I have all lymans and a few H&G. I have been looking a NOE and MIHEC websites but really don't know enough about them to make any decisions. Looks like they go about making HP in different ways. Is one easy or better than the other regarding the HP option. I was thinking brass was much better than aluminum. Is brass the way to go if money isn't a problem. I have some other molds I'm gonna sell to finance this purchase. Any thoughts or info would be very welcome.

I have been looking at the group buy threads and haven't seen where one is coming up.

Thanks,,,,Floyd
    Last edited by floydboy; 11-21-2014 at 08:34 PM.

NOE just did a run. In stock now.

Boolit Master
    Noe and MP make excellent molds, you can't go wrong with either. I've never used one of NOE's hp molds though so can't comment on that aspect. I have several NOE non-hp molds and I'm very pleased with them. I have 4 or 5 MP's and like them very much, great quality. Keep in mind that if you have to wait for an MP group buy, it could be a year or more.

My H&G 68 clone is from Accurate, but he doesn't do hp's. This is my #1 favorite mold in my collection. I'm pretty sure I could cast in my sleep and they'd all come out perfect.

Hensley & Gibbs Design #68 (the "Crawford" bullet) isn't friendly to hollow pointing. The small meplat does not leave much room for a hollow point wall and cavity. The design can be hollow pointed, but its not a good performer in my experience. Others may have had more luck.

That's my opinion.

A better candidate is #34, the class Lead Round Nose based on the USGI 230gr. Ball Round:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image002.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	122721

http://www.hensleygibbs.com/TCD/holl...s/Design34.htm
    Last edited by Texasflyboy; 11-23-2014 at 11:49 PM.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

http://www.hensleygibbs.com

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Boolit Grand Master

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.p...f8e6lrkr2plc12

Good as it gets. I loaded up 2000 rounds awhile back with the Lee 200 gr boolit but this mould wasn't available then.
    Hmmm....seems whenever I do "research" on the NOE site I find another mould I "need", lol.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Saeco #69 flat base 200 gr or lighter 185 the #66 works well to my favorite molds.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    My MiHec is nice!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by seagiant View Post
    Hi,
    My MiHec is nice!

Sure is!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    My Lyman 452630 (200 gr) looks exactly like the MiHec and it's a fine shooter.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the MP HP H&G clone--it does not have enough hollow to expand well at 45 ACP velocities. Much better is the NOE RG 4 I have. I'd have to go out to the shop to check to find the number, but It is a RN profile with a large hollow point, IIRC it is a 215 grainer, but I don't shoot much 45 these days and it has been a while since I loaded any. I tried to get a photo of them, but I couldn't get a useful image, However, the mouth of the cavity measures .225 and a 22 short inserted into the cavity disappears up to the case. They feed well from both of my .45 Autos.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.