Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Has Persimmons? Hachiya Persimmons Hopefully..

Vendor Sponsor

Who Has Persimmons? Hachiya Persimmons Hopefully..

I looked high and low for some Hachiya persimmons and haven't been able to come up with any so far. All the nurseries sold out of Hachiya trees already so won't be any until spring 2015. I did get a chocolate persimmon tree to plant this week but that don't help me find the fruits..

Would gladly pay USPS for a large flat rate box of firm Hachiya persimmons.... These are a sorta large heart shaped fruit that are delicious when soft and ripe.

Hachiya:

Hachiya on left, Fuyu on right:

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

In Remembrance
    Have you tried them green yet, if not that is an experience everybody should have. Once in a lifetime usually will do. lol

Perma-Banned

I have three trees of them but they have not dropped yet. I will start keep my eyes open for when they drop.

Perma-Banned

Ah ****, I have the Fuyu ones

Boolit Master

I love persimmons!
    We used to pick them, wrap them in newspaper, and check them daily while we waited for them to ripen.
    Those were the days.
    We had fig trees, too!

We have two large trees of them on the ranch property. My wife will pulp them and freeze the pulp to make persimmon cookies during the winter months. My favorite cookies, soft and moist with chocolate chips and walnuts in them. When my father in law was still alive, a fellow from the bay area would come up and fish for salmon in the Sacramento river that runs next to the ranch property. He would come over to the ranch house and trade my father in law a whole salmon for a bag of the persimmons about every year.

Boolit Master

I have a grove of native persimmons in my front yard. Only real trees we have in the yard. My wife hates them when they start falling. They're almost all gone for the year. We don't make anything from them.Brad

My grandmother had one of those trees. Yum yum! Until you try a green one, which may look ripe. So bitter, you can't spit it out! Got to wait till after the first frost to be sure. I would love to get my hands on some more one of these days. My boyos do not know what they are, or what they are missing.

Grandma also had this huge fig tree. Figs right off the tree are to die for. She would put up 40-50 jars of fig preserves every year. Everyone loved her during that time of year, I tell ya!

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Have you tried them green yet, if not that is an experience everybody should have. Once in a lifetime usually will do. lol
    Our challenge back then was to take a bite and try to whistle.....!

Boolit Master
    I have about 20 native persimmon trees at my place. The small astringent o es that must be totally soft/ripe to be any good. We've had a couple of hard freezes and the persimmons are all ripe. I picked a bunch this past weekend and used them in a wild fruit and berry wine I started.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Master
    Mine all ripened and fell about 3 weeks ago.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjim View Post
    Mine all ripened and fell about 3 weeks ago.
    I'm jealous!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by pipehand View Post
    I have about 20 native persimmon trees at my place. The small astringent o es that must be totally soft/ripe to be any good. We've had a couple of hard freezes and the persimmons are all ripe. I picked a bunch this past weekend and used them in a wild fruit and berry wine I started.
    I'm really jealous!

Boolit Master

My asians are Nakita's Gift. I got them from Rusty Mangrum nursery in McMinnville, TN. He's a GREAT guy to deal with. I've spent several thousand dollars with him and he has bent over backwards to help me since long before I ever sent him the first penny.

I know he had other varieties but don't remember what they were.

Boolit Grand Master

My very most favorite desert is "persimmon pudding" with ice cream. Alas I'm diabetic and both are forbidden.

Boolit Buddy
    I sure would like to hear from anyone growing Japanese persimmons in the more northern temp zones,my location is listed as 6,6b or 7 depending on whoever determines such. My wife and I really like the Japanese persimmons and have eight trees,four Fuyu,two Hachia and two Ichi.One of our Fuyu is a homemade one,Fuyu branches grafted to American.I have only three producing now.I think maybe this is about a far north as these grow,so I try to shelter in winter. Again,any zone 6 grower? Thanks lreed

Boolit Master

lreed, I was told that Nakitas gift would be a little more hardy than the others. Rusty ma grum probably has them in stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks C Latch,I will look into the Nikita's persimmon,do you have contact info for Rusty Mangrum?My understanding is the Nikita persimmon is a cross between American and Japanese trees My interest in persimmons grown in the cooler planting zones is that I already have producing trees and would like to glean any knowledge to keep them producing. Thanks lreed

Boolit Master

He's wholesale only but will allow orders as small as $100 I think.

http://www.rustymangrumnursery.com/

Vendor Sponsor

I think a lot of the asian varieties we get here are grafted. The Chocolate Persimmon that I got at the farmer's market is grafted. I guess this is grafted onto American Persimmon roots?

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.