Titan ReloadingLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: 9mm with unique help

9mm with unique help

I don't want to take apart any more bullets 500 was way to many the last time.

Gun. S&W MP9L pro core

Bullet. 147gr rainier trn

Powder. Unique. 3.9?

Question is how much powder to use
    And what OAL

Thanks bobby
    Bobby

Boolit Master
    Are you getting leading? What is the issue? Also, I would make up about 20 and test for accuracy/leading/under/over pressure signs before popping out 480 more. I did this one time with a bunch of .45 acp. I tested my usual 20 and everything worked out swimmingly--but, while I was adjusting my lee auto disk, I must have turned my crimp die a little and put too much crimp on my case. I had a 6 inch group at 7 yards with my Colt MKIV 70 which is a one hole gun. I then had a couple of hundred inaccurate boolits. However, I have a hard time pulling what I make and ended up making a bunch of noise while shooting rocks at 200 yards (trying to).

I have a Midway loadmap for 9mm that lists loads for several different plated bullets. It shows a max load of Unique to be about 4.0-4.2 grains for all of them. It suggests a starting load of about 3.6 grains depending on the specific bullet. Your load of 3.9 should be ok.
    I suggest you load a few to see if it works ok.
    There was no specific oal for the load, just the max of 1.169. Find out what will chamber in your pistol and start with a slightly lower charge and work up.

Quote Originally Posted by birch View Post
    Are you getting leading? What is the issue? Also, I would make up about 20 and test for accuracy/leading/under/over pressure signs before popping out 480 more. I did this one time with a bunch of .45 acp. I tested my usual 20 and everything worked out swimmingly--but, while I was adjusting my lee auto disk, I must have turned my crimp die a little and put too much crimp on my case. I had a 6 inch group at 7 yards with my Colt MKIV 70 which is a one hole gun. I then had a couple of hundred inaccurate boolits. However, I have a hard time pulling what I make and ended up making a bunch of noise while shooting rocks at 200 yards (trying to).
    They are easy to pull I used a kinetic puller. Trick is I hit it on a piece of landscape timber about a foot long. Two hits and done. One hour per hundred Learned a lot on this site

Using plated bullets but I looked in three different places and got any ware from 3.2 to 6.2 and that scares me. Had a 44mag supper black hawk blow out the top three cylinders for an overcharge on somebody else's reloads and gun.
    Bobby

Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I have a Midway loadmap for 9mm that lists loads for several different plated bullets. It shows a max load of Unique to be about 4.0-4.2 grains for all of them. It suggests a starting load of about 3.6 grains depending on the specific bullet. Your load of 3.9 should be ok.
    I suggest you load a few to see if it works ok.
    There was no specific oal for the load, just the max of 1.169. Find out what will chamber in your pistol and start with a slightly lower charge and work up.
    Thanks tazmam I will shoot what I made and also make some lighter and see what works.
    Bobby
    Bobby

Boolit Master

max oal for the 9mm is 1.169 inches. I would seat them out as long as I could, especially since you are using 147 grains which is heavy for 9mm. I would use a healthy crimp. For load development I usually load up 5 at each charge until I hit book max or so. I would stop on the charge once I found ones that cycled in my pistol 100% reliability.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby65 View Post
    I don't want to take apart any more bullets 500 was way to many the last time.

Gun. S&W MP9L pro core

Bullet. 147gr rainier trn

Powder. Unique. 3.9?

Question is how much powder to use
    And what OAL

Thanks bobby

With unique I would start with 3.2 gr check Lymans 49th edition. Lists a 147 gr #256637 with 1.058 oal

Lists a jacketed 147 gr with 3.7 of unique with 1.115 oal

I set my length so it will feed in the magazine of my S&W 669 and like said the max length is 1.169 but different guns will accept different OAL.