Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMCD ProductsRepackbox

Thread: simple Hi-Tek coating

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fivewhy View Post
    but wouldn't I want 3 or maybe 4 coats for rifle calibers? Meaning, anything flying 2200fps to 3000fps...to avoid potential of gas cutting and/or other problems? Assuming they were sized after coatings.

Also, isn't 2800 to 3000fps around the top end that anyone has tried w this coating? But no one has reported any inability or failure at higher speeds, no?

Is there any rpm (product of speed and twist) that have caused this coating spin off the bullet after muzzle exit? ..as is the case w copper plating?

Thanks. I know you guys are handgun guys but this coating could cause a substantial cost reduction for rifle bullets. The jacket may be best at around 3000fps, but when I can get coated bullets for one third to one fourth the cost of a jacketed bullet I would definitely buy coated bullets.
    This information was published a couple of pages back.
    I don't know if it is useful or not.
    Tests were done on commercially coated projectiles using Candy Apple Red coating.

No gas check
    winchester 760 powder 43gn
    2250 FPS
    tests were carried out at, 100, 200 and 300 Meters
    results matched performance of Jacketed projectiles
    Client who tested the projectiles has ordered our 180gn Spire point in Candy Apple Red

Rifle Ruger MKII 308
    180gn spire point projectile as per photo
    sized to 309
    35 BHN
    J&M coated 2x coats Candy Apple Red
    No gas check
    winchester 760 powder 46gn
    2450 FPS
    tests were carried out at, 100, 200 and 300 Meters
    results matched performance of Jacketed projectiles
    Client who tested the projectiles has ordered our 180gn Spire point in Candy Apple Red

Boolit Master
    I've had a couple of failures,my oven was way over temp,set at 200 it hit 270 so I burnt the coating,if cooked at 200 for 12mins I get flaking,cooked for 8mins it's perfect,12mins gets flakes with one hammer hit,8mins they can be smashed down to the thickness of a 20c piece and the coating refuses to come off,at 12mins the coating is chocolate color yet at 8 it's a golden green color,I've found that not letting them sit for an hour the coating won't bond to the alloy and the second coat will strip the first,it's taken a couple of failures to get the technique but once you have it it's very easy to use,I'll be shooting them this weekend. Pat

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    35 BHN
    J&M coated 2x coats Candy Apple Red
    No gas check
    winchester 760 powder 46gn
    2450 FPS
    That's a pretty high BHN, probably pretty brittle..which really may not even be a problem. But if 18 BHN could work, bullets could be very cheap. 34 BHN would just be marginally more expensive...not much for a large producer. I should have specified 18 BHN. But maybe that's an open question, and producers don't really know yet. I hope that 18BHN is good for 1600-2200fps pressures. 22BHN is good for 2200-2600fps pressures. 24BHN is good for 2600-2800fps pressures. And >24 is good for >2800fps. ...that is, with this coating. I think this coating would allow for softer bullets, in general. But those numbers are a gross generalization, and probably only applies for the 30 cal bullets (which is in the common'ish/middle'ish part of the caliber range). It may vary as either diameter or sectional density changes. These are just my two cents.

Altho, of course it is great to know that even at 34 BHN the coating performance is as good as jackets, at 2450 fps, and with only 2 coats. I think that is probably all that needs to be said. I will have to order some 22 and 30 cal of these from one of the retailers that sells coated bullets...just wish there was more options available. These would probably be ideal for very heavy-for-caliber bullets too. But I really think 4 coats should be industry standard for rifle bullets, just for a little risk coverage and headroom (like how chambers are built to withstand pressures 30% or so higher than its rating). Proper sizing too, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by PAT303 View Post
    it's taken a couple of failures to get the technique but once you have it it's very easy to use,I'll be shooting them this weekend. Pat
    that is awesome to hear, should mean a fourth coat won't be bothersome or costly over 2 and 3 coats, lol
    Last edited by fivewhy; 11-12-2014 at 12:59 AM.

Boolit Master
    are 2 coatings enough for 45 acp?

Boolit Master

I've had a couple of failures,my oven was way over temp,set at 200 it hit 270 so I burnt the coating,if cooked at 200 for 12mins I get flaking,cooked for 8mins it's perfect,12mins gets flakes with one hammer hit,8mins they can be smashed down to the thickness of a 20c piece and the coating refuses to come off,at 12mins the coating is chocolate color yet at 8 it's a golden green color,I've found that not letting them sit for an hour the coating won't bond to the alloy and the second coat will strip the first,it's taken a couple of failures to get the technique but once you have it it's very easy to use,I'll be shooting them this weekend. Pat
    My guess is that your temperatures in the oven are higher if product fails at 200C at 12 minutes.
    Flaking is normally associated with inadequate drying or using too much to first coat or both.
    You need a good reliable thermometer to accurately determine oven temperature.
    Knob setting on oven is not always reliable.
    Please check things out.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fivewhy View Post
    That's a pretty high BHN, probably pretty brittle..which really may not even be a problem. But if 18 BHN could work, bullets could be very cheap. 34 BHN would just be marginally more expensive...not much for a large producer. I should have specified 18 BHN. But maybe that's an open question, and producers don't really know yet. I hope that 18BHN is good for 1600-2200fps pressures. 22BHN is good for 2200-2600fps pressures. 24BHN is good for 2600-2800fps pressures. And >24 is good for >2800fps. ...that is, with this coating. I think this coating would allow for softer bullets, in general. But those numbers are a gross generalization, and probably only applies for the 30 cal bullets (which is in the common'ish/middle'ish part of the caliber range). It may vary as either diameter or sectional density changes. These are just my two cents.

Altho, of course it is great to know that even at 34 BHN the coating performance is as good as jackets, at 2450 fps, and with only 2 coats. I think that is probably all that needs to be said. I will have to order some 22 and 30 cal of these from one of the retailers that sells coated bullets...just wish there was more options available. These would probably be ideal for very heavy-for-caliber bullets too. But I really think 4 coats should be industry standard for rifle bullets, just for a little risk coverage and headroom (like how chambers are built to withstand pressures 30% or so higher than its rating). Proper sizing too, of course.

that is awesome to hear, should mean a fourth coat won't be bothersome or costly over 2 and 3 coats, lol

This below results were posted by Leadman. (I hope he does not object to my repeating his post)
    Quote from Leadman, " I used heat treated linotype for the Lee 22 cal. "Bator" boolits that I pushed to 3,619fps average. Air cooled linotype is good in some guns to 3,000 fps, others may not get to 2,500 fps.

[COLOR=#333333 "I used Red Copper and Gold 1035 in my quest for hi velocity. In the 223 Rem I used H4895 powder. The 3,619 fps loads were over max listed loads but they did not present any problems in my gun. [/COLOR]

Velocities of 2,500 fps to around 2,800, 3,000 fps are done fairly easily. Use weight sorted boolits with good gas checks installed properly. I have used aluminum gas checks and they worked good other than the time I tried to install them on 32 BHN linotype boolits. The GC extruded up the side of the boolit. I think the boolit was harder than the aluminum. If you use aluminum gcs install them first if you are going to heat treat the boolit."

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by HI-TEK View Post
    My guess is that your temperatures in the oven are higher if product fails at 200C at 12 minutes.
    Flaking is normally associated with inadequate drying or using too much to first coat or both.
    You need a good reliable thermometer to accurately determine oven temperature.
    Knob setting on oven is not always reliable.
    Please check things out.
    I've got a thermometer in the oven,with the oven knob set at 150 the thermo is reading 210-220,they pass the tests so I'm happy. Pat

Boolit Master

I've got a thermometer in the oven,with the oven knob set at 150 the thermo is reading 210-220,they pass the tests so I'm happy. Pat
    Great news.
    Just goes to show, how much oven knobs can be out and misleading causing many problems.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kryogen View Post
    are 2 coatings enough for 45 acp?
    Yes. 2 coats at 5-1-7 with Candy Apple red or Kryptonite green. No worries
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by atygrit View Post
    Finally success...at least what I'm going to call success. I received my replacement bullets and they worked MUCH better than the first ones I received. I have just a little bit of the coating coming off towards the end of the barrel on both my 9mm and 45 acp.

Any ideas on what would cause fouling at the muzzle end of the barrel?

Any suggestions on a different powder? I'm current using 4.3 grains of HP38 for my 9mm and it's like I'm in a western with GIANT puff of smoke. Looking for suggesting that don't smoke as much and meter well in a Dillon powder measure.

Thanks,
    Is your "puff" look like main
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dim.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	121606

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Ausglock View Post
    The supercoat is a 3 part wet process. colour, catalyst and acetone. the liquid colour is a dangerous goods product.
    The powder is a 2 part dry/wet process. the powder contains the colour and the catalyst in dry form. You just add acetone.
    The end result is the same.
    There is a huge shipment of the powder due shortly at Bayou Bullets
    Great. The stuff Bayou is getting is the same as what Gateway has?

Has anyone compared this stuff to a traditional powder coating? Ive seen reports of doing a similar "dry coating" by just dissolving the dry powder in acetone/laquer thinner and baking that. What is the advantage of this material over that? Is this one a harder polymer where as the other is a softer plastic?

Thanks for informing the noob. I will be ordering this stuff when I figure out what I want! I bought a toaster oven off craigslist for $20 that retails for $120 because it "looks dirty." Sucker... Got everything ready, just waiting on ordering the powder.

Thanks for any input.

Love Life
    The difference between this and Powder Coating are that this (Dry-Tek and the liquid) are made for the application and Powder Coat is made for lawn chairs...and car parts...and other stuff and just adapted to this application.

Just mix, tumble, and bake with Dry-TEK and the liquid system. No having to rub your feet on the carpet, remove bullets with forceps, using a spray gun, non-stick foil, etc like you do with PC.

Below is a list of commercial casters who use traditional powder coat:

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Balta View Post

No. are you using Black Powder....

I use ADI (Aussie powder sold in the USA as Hodgdon) it is clean and very little smoke. Even my SV Racegun has very little smoke and it runs a 4 port comp.
    Bullets recovered from the berm show rifling makes only. the coating is perfect.
    You problem might be the Double Alpha shirt...
    Last edited by Ausglock; 11-13-2014 at 04:00 AM.
    Hooroo.
    Regards, Trevor.
    Australia

Boolit Mold
    Gateway is great! Received my order and all is well.
    Last edited by nevadabob; 11-18-2014 at 04:53 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Nevadabob,

all otders have have finally shipped! I profusely appolgize for any slow shipping. Things have been extremely rough in the past few months in the shop. Over half of my employees are connected to the Ferguson **** and have been absent from the shop! So it's been VERY difficult to say the least. Most have been either on 12 hour shifts without days off or have been staying home to protect their families for the possibility of retaliatory violence.,

I now have made new arrangements and products are now flowing at full speed!

AGAIN, I AM TRULEY SORRY FOR MY SLOW SHIPPING AND ABSENCE ON THIS THREAD!
    Gatewaybullets.com

Boolit Master
    Yo folks, Germany calling again.

Would someone please be so nice, and tell me which coatings (inspite of the red candy apple) are good to load, when being done only twice?

Thanks!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Balta View Post

I have to use WST right now, because I donīt get another powder.
    My shots look the same.

But I know it is the powder, not the coating, because I havenīt had this smoke with Lovex D032 and VV N320.

Boolit Mold
    Gateway...Thank you for the reply. I just sent you another email before I looked at this thread. Please disregard it. Your answer is satisfactory and I'm looking forward to receiving my order and doing business with you again.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jayjay1 View Post
    Yo folks, Germany calling again.

Would someone please be so nice, and tell me which coatings (inspite of the red candy apple) are good to load, when being done only twice?

Thanks!
    Hello all in Germany, hope all is well with every one.
    With your question, it is not clear what you wish to do.
    Can you please explain a little more of what you wish to do?

All the coatings should work in majority of applications with two coats done well.
    The "Metallics", seem to take slightly higher loads, and reflect heat much better than plain non metallic coloured coatings.

Boolit Master
    Hey Joe, you got it right.

The Red Candy Apple seems to me easier to apply, good with being coated twice.
    With the Brown Copper I did three coatings to get a good result, but maybe I have done something wrong.

I think I mean the metallic coats.
    Which are those?