RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2MCD Products
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: I'm told I'm to old and basically broken down to make a move to the country. Grrr.

I would only be concerned about financing the home till you freed up the equity in your existing home. I've seen too many "that won't happen" scenarios happen and financially hurt/crush people. In your situation, only play real estate without using debt and never enter retirement with a mortgage). Only you and your wife know your limitations with physical labor and the stress of a lifestyle change. I wouldn't view it lightly, but by no means crawl up and let time pass you.

I'm a young man and would love to own your dream. In fact, could walk to that park and enter the Mammouth Sniper Challenge each winter.

Banned

your son is seeing you the same way you view your in-law's and mother, maybe a little more selfishly, or maybe because by default he becomes the phone call for help in your absence...

just an outside observation with no facts to base it on other than it's similar to my situation where the two brothers sold out [the old family home they were given] and got away from their parents [who gave them that house] as soon as they possibly could, leaving their sister to take care of the parents by default.

Boolit Grand Master

I kinda take exception to what you said about your son and then calling him an adult. I don't know either of you but that doesn't sound very "grown up" to me.

I'm confused though, you made the original post at 3:21 this afternoon and you haven't started packing yet? Plenty of time during closing to see if the son really does grow up, my money says he will. If not then when he see's that Dad made the right choice for Dad he will.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

I'm close to your age and moved to my ex inlaws farmstead a few years back. When I got divorced I needed a place to live and they needed someone to take care of the place. Personaly I think just sitting around is probably gonna kill somebody faster than keeping active even if there are some health issues. I know the more I sit around the more my arthritis bothers me so I try to keep as active as possible. I do know I'm far more relaxed than when I lived in town.

Go for it. You have to remember that OLD also depends on your perspective. I tend to forget that my own father is 73 and think of him more as being in early 60s while my own son probably thinks there is a bigger gap between himself and me than there really is.

Moderator Emeritus

I think you should tell your son what you stated in your last paragraph, then make your own plans. Last time I checked your life is your own.

Boolit Buddy

Lots of good advice here and you both should discuss the pluses and the Minuses. Write it down in two columns + & -. It takes the emotion out of it. Then you have facts. I agree that your happiness is a major consideration so weigh it accordingly.

prayer never hurts either!

Boolit Buddy
    Everyone these are the pros and cons I needed to hear. I'm going to share the thread with Miss Penny. At some point we will either have to s*** or get off the pot as we say here in the South. I'd sure be more inclined to walk my own woods a few minutes a day than stare at TV at a gym while walking on a treadmill. And a 100 yard jaunt to the target is more interesting than a jaunt to the near stop sign. And yes, we pray often and really hard. Most often asking for answers. Never for money or material goods.Don

Moderator Emeritus

Don, We moved about 65 miles from our youngest daughter and she still has not forgiven us....but like others have said....you dont need your childs permission to move....my wife and I were 52 when we moved and we still havent slowed down....best thing we ever did was to get away from all the crazies that live in the metroplex areas......I wish we had a spring like the property you are looking at....just remember to take your time and enjoy the experience.....take Sunday off and do not work yourself to death....IMHO.....Paul
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy

I am considerably older than you and the wife and I will be moving back to the country in 2 years. I do have an advantage and that is I can still work part time or full time if I really wanted to. I also vowed to take care of my mother in her elderly age but sometimes I wished that I had moved earlier.

Boolit Master

"I'd rather feel sorry for something I'd done, than for something I didn't do."
    Kris Kristofferson

Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Grand Master

Downsize, simplify, reduce expenses and become more self-sufficient with plenty to do to uccupy your time? Sounds like a fantastic retirement plan.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Perma-Banned

At 56...why are you asking your son's permission. I know, we would all like for our family to be in agreement...but it really isn't necessary as he will get okay with it.

Good luck.

Moderator Emeritus

I am 54, back is basically destroyed, torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders, carpal tunnel both sides, 7 or 8 surgeries on joints/back and I take care of not only my house and yard but I help the 70 year old next door neighbor and mow her lawn too for just over an acre. I garden, reload, shoot, work on the house etc. It just takes a little longer now to get jobs done and power tools are your friend. I am running air lines into 2 parts of the house from the shop so I can use the air nailers without dragging in the compressor as an example. Make things easier, set things up to make life easier. I just moved 5,000 pounds of corn into storage and I never touched it. I have a vacuum system for that, same vacuum pulls it into the house for my winter heat with a corn stove. Next summers major project will be ramps in and out, and rebuild my garage when I am not against a deadline like I was this fall.

Boolit Master
    Dear Tall guy: I'm up here in Southern Illinois and me + SISTER don't have any caves. You can trade with us and get the cows back for plenty of work if you want. I would move. I just don't like those twisty roads those KY folks build. 56 that ain't nothing. You ought to see my medical list of bad things. I found out that when you retire you do what you want to do... A QUESTION, are / do you think you will live forever. GO FOR IT. I didn't get the gun room poured before these cold temps. The boys are going to start on the whole width of the house closet for reloading supplies, clothes, gun boxes, you name it. No closets so I'm building a dandy. Come by and shoot at the range next summer.

Boolit Buddy
    i will admit that i have not read all the above posts. if i have missed something, i apologize.

you have an opportunity to change your life in ways that benefit you and your spouse. there is no need to apologize or ask for anyone's approval. it sounds like this is a great opportunity for you and one you will not regret.

i grew up in a family that always put me down and discouraged me from decisions that would have benefited me greatly. i learned years ago to do what was good for me. not to pacify them.

go for it!

Buy, move, and have fun living the dream. I don't believe your son understands the attraction the land holds for you. Don't listen to him.

Boolit Master
    I am sort of in the situation your son is. My father, who is 10 years your senior, is moving to a different part of the state and also selling the place he bought just to be able hunt with family(my hunting place can't fit 2 deer hunters). I just told him we will make the trip to see him as often as we can and to have fun working on a new place.

Boolit Master

I also say "go for it". I believe this is one of those things that you will be very glad you did it and will always regret it if you don't make the move. I also believe you will feel better physically and mentally for doing it. I would like to think your son will come on board after he sees that it has made you and his mom happier.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

In Remembrance
    I always wanted to move to Alaska, but waited till I figured I was too old ond pretty much wore out from my life choices. lol. I did it anyway, moved 4,000 plus miles to the farthest town possible away from the kids, guess where they all live now, and are livin the dream. My only regret is not making the move 30 years earlier.

A One bedroom house is a little small for maybe too much togetherness. However a small tool shed and shop would help. Do it Before your unable to do it. A small storage place would be good for your extra stuff. Good luck!!