RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Wideners

Thread: Resizing Powdercoated Bullets

Boolit Master

Resizing Powdercoated Bullets

I am using the Lee resizing kit. Should you resize before or after you powdercoat? Since normally you need to lube the bullets to Bo through the resizer and I did not want to have to spend time removing lube from the bullets, I chose to powdercoat them at whatever size they dropped from the mold and after baking and cooling down, resize them. It seems to work. The bullets went through the resizing die very smoothly and I did not see any powdercoating removed in the process.

Did not have any of the non-stick aluminum foil, so I just used regular aluminum foil. It basically gave me a very thin aluminum gas check on the bottom edge of the bullet. I also tried using a sheet of paper to put the bullets on during the baking process. It did not burn, but was starting to get a bit of a brown tint after 15 minutes at 400F. I did two batches. One was dry tumbled with a bit of powder in a plastic container and the other was with some acetone. They did not look that great, but we're able to withstand being flattened in my arbor press.

I size after I powder coat. No need to lube, size, remove lube, paint, size again!

I have stopped using aluminum foil and only use the small pan that came with my toaster oven. A light spray of WD-40 to the pan and the baked bullets plopped right off.

Vendor Sponsor

If sizing down less than .004 to .005 size after powdercoating
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Buddy
    after pc no need to waste time

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance gpidaho's Avatar
    If you are sizing down a large amount for what ever reason, I use a mix of three parts water to one part dish soap for the lube. It washes off easily then just let dry or if in a hurry use your oven on low temp. or a heat gun to dry. Then coat and resize. Don't get discouraged by the looks of your first few tries, it's like casting, the more you do it the better the results. Some pretty fugly coated boolits will still shot pretty well. GP

Boolit Master

Depends on the bullets that I cast. For instance, I have a new mold that is supposed to drop a .309 casting with #2 Lyman and I cast with WW's and it drops .312". I will slip on a GC and size BEFORE I PC else it's super hard on the press to size a .313(+)" cast projectile. I also size before and after on some of my cast because of tight tolerances in some of the throats on my guns. I'm retired and time has a whole new meaning to me.

Size after. Never have used anything to 'lube' the sizing process. DT with ASBBs in #5 container. Parchment (baking) paper works real well. DT GCd boolits doesn't work well for me.
    Whatever!