Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackbox
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 8x56r Steyr Neck Sizing

Boolit Bub

8x56r Steyr Neck Sizing

I recently purchased one of the "frankenstein" 338 230Gr. RF bullet molds from a group buy at NOE...

I got that mold and cast some bullets, and when I started to try to work up some loads, now realize I don't have a neck expand die for the 8x56r case....

Here is a thread over at NOE forums, where they may do a run of a neck sizer "expander plug" made just for this 8x56r cartridge. They are looking for input and suggestions...

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index....7.html#msg2727

I'va also asked them is they would modify a Lee .329 push-thru sizing die to increase it to maybe .339...?

update - I slugged the bore of the 8x56r 1895 Steyr long Infantry rifle I have

groove = .330
    land = .314
    Last edited by HikerLT; 10-25-2014 at 06:32 PM.

The 'nominal' cast bullet diameter for these M95 Steyrs would be .333-.334". My sizer does .334". It started life at .329" and was honed out to .334". We are lucky to have a forum member who makes truly excellent custom size dies. Buckshot does fine work at reasonable prices with fast turn around. I don't know if he makes expander plugs. Lee will make you a custom sized expander in their new improved design if you want to go that route. You might be better off with a custom collet neck sizing die from Lee. Assuming that you have just one rifle that you are loading 8x56R for then that is usually the best way to go for longest case life....DanM
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Buddy
    If you are using Lee dies you can get a .338 expander and sand it down to .334 or what ever need. You can use 303 expanders to make what size you need for a 7.62 also. With a Lee push through you can hone out the .329 to get the fit you want. If you do not lube the boolits well you will get a little fining on the base because the punch is too small.

Boolit Bub
    in searching on how to "hone out" the Lee push thru die to increase the diameter, I found this article describing the procedure:

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/How...Size%20Die.pdf

Boolit Master

Why would you hone out a .329 sizer to .339 when you can buy one for $18.00?
    http://www.titanreloading.com/lube-s...and-sizing-kit
    So many guns, so little time

You must pay for everything in this life - nothing is free, except for the grace of God.

"Free cheese only comes in a mousetrap"

Boolit Grand Master

Buckshot will make a Lyman M die insert to your desired measurements.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

If my M95 hadn't come with a set of custom made CH4D dies, I would have ordered a custom Lee collet neck sizing die right off.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered custom Lee collet die for M95-works like a charm.

I was told number of times that Steyers and Rubins shouldn't be neck sized since it's "straight bolt" action but I neck size for both with no issues.

Boolit Master
    Buckshot is the bomb. All there is to it.