MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Bear Hunting with Dodge Neon

Banned

Bear Hunting with Dodge Neon

My son who's in the Marine Corps loaned a car of mine to a buddy who proceeded to kill a black bear with it. Car is toast now, but it looks like he'll be OK. Seems it rolled three times before coming to rest, seatbelts save lives.

I grew up in central S.C. and we didn't have them there at the time though I knew there were a few in the Appalachins. I didn't realize they got this big in the south. Not much in the pic to use for scale, but of that stripe on the road is the standard 5-6" wide, seems to be a good sized critter to a guy who isn't that familiar with them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	N.C.Bear.jpg 
Views:	587 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	120392Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neon1.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	120393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neon2.jpg 
Views:	580 
Size:	9.2 KB 
ID:	120394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Neon3.jpg 
Views:	582 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	120395

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Bears are solid as a bowling ball. One of the worst things to run into. Bummer about the car, and kid!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    There are very big bears in North Carolina, I think because they don't have to hibernate as long as northern bears, if at all.

Banned

Hunting that way is cheating anyway!
    Glad to hear the boy will be OK.

A large slow heavy bullet with a large meplat works every time. I've taken several deer with a 14,000,000gr plastic tipped Dodge bullet at 88 fps. Bullet placement doesn't matter all that much, it smacks them down right there. I've yet to have one get up and run. Bullet doesn't expand...just a little dimpling on the nose...about $1600 worth.

Less damage hitting a tree.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bagdadjoe View Post
    A large slow heavy bullet with a large meplat works every time. I've taken several deer with a 14,000,000gr plastic tipped Dodge bullet at 88 fps. Bullet placement doesn't matter all that much, it smacks them down right there. I've yet to have one get up and run. Bullet doesn't expand...just a little dimpling on the nose...about $1600 worth.
    Now I don't care who you are, that's funny stuff right there.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Bagdadjoe View Post
    They don't call it a ram for nothing !!!
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

In Remembrance
    They expand nice on buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by USAFrox View Post
    Now I don't care who you are, that's funny stuff right there.
    Seconded... I'm still chuckling... I really hate using that technique when driving in deer country at night...

Best Regards,
    Tom

Boolit Master
    look at it this way, he didn't have to spend money on a bear tag! sorry about the car.

Banned

I truly hope someone salvaged that bear. I'm not gonna have to make a special trip over there to deal with the car, but if I had been around, I would have had it butchered out and processed. Seems like an awful shame to waste.

I've been real lucky where I live that neither I or the wife have hit a deer yet, come awful close a few times a year, just never connected. I did hit a turkey a few years ago that was just taking flight high enough that I hit it with the leading edge of the hood at about 65 MPH and that was not a cheap repair bill.

Boolit Buddy
    I've hit a few deer. Then I installed a kangaroo guard on the front of my little suzuki samurai.

Worked great - I never even saw a kangaroo!

Banged a few more deer, but saved the tinwork on that little noisemaker.
    CARPE DIEM!.......

Vendor Sponsor

One of our guys at work hit a 300 pounder one morning on the edge of the Great Dismal Swamp in a little Toyota pickup. It didn't roll the truck, but I swear that bear made a TUNNEL from the front bumper all the way out the back end! It looked like you dropped the truck from about 20' and landed it lengthwise straddling a great big log!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

it must be bear vs. automobile season here in the Caralinas I hit one 20 Oct with a Mack truck. I was better protected than your case, wild life officer said it was his 5 night of work that week and 5th bear killer by motor vehicle that week. I am glad you main loss was only the car.

Dad got a deer once with a 1960 Rambler. His horns drove clear through the left rear passenger door but the rest of the car was fine.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    A co worker pulled into work and said come see my new car.

He was quite shook up as we went out to his car.

WOW 4 tines snapped off on each side of the steering wheel and still in place.

Don was doing 65 on the interstate just outside of Chiraq when the buck jumped out of a ditch and hit his car for a perfect BULLSEYE.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.