RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1942 brass ?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    The USGI primers post WW1 were nonmercuric, but corrosive. Cleaning in hot water and detergent removes the potassium chloride salts, then handle as you would any brass. They didn't figure out correct final stress relief for long term storage until the mid 1930s. Earlier cases may show neck splits from age hardening. I am using FA 34 and later with good results. If neck anneal color is visible it is OK.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    They didn't figure out correct final stress relief for long term storage until the mid 1930s. Earlier cases may show neck splits from age hardening.
    Well that explains something to me... I have unfired 30-06 "Guard" loads marked "FA 17", but one of them has a split neck...

Boolit Master

For those of you who want to save the brass that the primer punch knocked the bottom of the primer out of, you can try what works for me. Use a steel screw with a flat tip that is smaller than the primer pocket, but bigger than the inner dia. of the primer. Cut a very small notch in the end of the screw with a triangular file so the screw will be self threading. Turn the screw into the primer and it will back out the "shell" of the primer. Then just remove the primer from the screw with a pair of pliers and you are ready for the next damaged primer!

I have a plastic detergent bucket full of WW2 unfired brass. I deprimed all of it as I did not want to fool with corrosive primers.

The primary consideration with old, loaded ammunition and the brass which contains old gunpowder is whether there are visible signs of corrosion. The shooting community is quite ignorant, and once informed, some absolutely deny, that gunpowder ages. This is from

Ammunition Surveillance Procedures SB 742-1

https://acc.dau.mil/adl/en-US/238111/file/68728/SB%20742-1%20AIN47-13A.pdf

Chapter 13 Propellant and Propelling Charges ,

page 13-1
    WARNING
    Nitrocellulose-based propellant can become thermally unstable as the age. The normal aging process of the propellants involves deterioration of the nitrocellulose with an accompanying generation of heat. At some point, the propellant may reach a state where heat is generated faster than it can be dissipated. The accumulation of heat can lead to combustion (autoignition). Chemical stabilizers are added to propellants to slow the aging process. In time, the stabilizer levels will drop to a point where the remaining effective stabilizer (RES) is not sufficient to prevent an accelerating rate of decomposition. When this point is reached, the propellant may autoigniet, with possible catastrophic results to property and life. Monitoring the stability level of each propellant lot is essential for continued safe storage.

Page 13-5 , Table 13.2 Propellant Stability Codes.

Stability Category A 0.30 or more Percent Effective Stabilizer
    Acceptable stabilizer loss: safe for continued storage

C 0.29-0.20 Percent Effective Stabilizer

Significant stabilizer loss. Lot does not represent an immediate hazard, but is approaching a potentially hazardous stability condition. Loss of stabilizer does adversely affect function in an uploaded configuration. Disposition instructions will be furnished by NAR. All stability category “C” assests on the installation must be reported in writing…

One year after becoming stability category “C” a sample of the bulk propellant lot or the bulk-packed component lot will be retested. If the lot has not deteriorated to category “D”, it will be retested each year until it has been expended, or it has deteriorated to category “D”, at which point it will be demilitarized within 60 days.

D Less than 0.20 Percent Effective Stabilizer

Unacceptable stabilizer loss. Lots identified as stability category “D” present a potential safety hazard and are unsafe for continued storage as bulk, bulk-packed components , or as separate loading propellant chargers. Bulk propellant, bulk –packed components and separate loading propelling charges will be demilitarized within 60 days after notification of category “D” status.

Old gunpowder creates a lot of problems, in bulk, it autoignites. At least one ammunition dump at month blows up somewhere around the world. It will blow up your gun because of burn rate instability. Old gunpowder does not burn smoothly, it gets peaky, pressures spike, ka boom. As it ages it releases fuming red nitric acid gas. Fuming red nitric acid gas will corrode brass. Old gunpowder cracked the case necks on hundreds of 308 LC Match, I reloaded these cases with surplus 4895 and over 700 cases developed cracked case necks. Given time, that old gunpowder would have likely created pin hole through corrosion through the case sidewalls.

So, look inside the cases, are they shiny and bright?. If they are, go use them.
    Last edited by SlamFire1; 10-14-2014 at 03:56 PM.