Load DataSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: 10mm, 220gr cast load check

Boolit Man

10mm, 220gr cast load check

Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to run a sanity check with you more seasoned members...

Lacking any industry heavy load data for the 10mm, I read what I could find and determined (in my mind) a safe starting point, using the powders I have on hand. All are using new Starline cases and WLP primers. My boolit drops at 223 gr from a MM 220 gr mold.

1. 4.5 gr Tightgroup
    2. 7.0 gr Longshot
    3. 9.5 gr WC820 (Lot#47321)

I'm guessing the surplus powder will probably be best for the heavy bullet, but in hindsight, I probably should have gone with CCI 350 for that load.
    Thoughts?
    CSM(R) 1983-2013

Groo here
    On various 10mm sights [ do a G search] most people use AA7, AA9 or similar burn rate powders.
    296/H110 is just too slow.
    Use a starting load for a 200gr HP jacket bullet.
    There is data for 220gr cast if you search.
    Ps Underwood has a 220 cast load for 10mm at 1200fps.
    Also remember these loaders make "nuckuler" loads aka top end and need a ramped barrel.

Boolit Man

Ah yes- I forgot; the launch pad is a Dan Wesson PM7-10. It is a fully supported chamber. Not looking for nukes- just a nice woods round for whitetail and hogs. I'll do some more searching- the Tightgroup and Longshot are below starting loads for the 200 gr. j-word loads.
    CSM(R) 1983-2013

Cartridge is from Ammo Manufacture: Underwood 220gr Hard Cast (MT10mm)
    Ballistics Information: 10mm Auto
    Muzzle Velocity: 1240 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 750 ft. lbs
    Brass Make/Headstamp: Underwood - Brass
    Bullet Make/Weight/Construction/Info; Length 0.7310”/Dia. 0.4010”: 220gr. Hard Cast
    MEPLAT 0.2640” / Flat Base
    Actual weight 216.6 grains Crimp squeezed bullet to 0.4010”
    C.O.A.L.: 1.2585”
    Primer: Nickel color
    Case: Diameter 0.4215” Crimp Diameter 0.4225” (Tight) Length 0.9880”
    Powder Description/Positive ID/Type/Charge LongShot Weight: 8.6 grains

GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Man

Here is the boolit: I'm using TAC#1 for lube. I'll have to fill the seating stem with hot glue when I start working loads for accuracy...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01330.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	196.6 KB 
ID:	118986
    CSM(R) 1983-2013

Btw over at www.10mm-firearms.com you can find reload data for factory ammo tear downs

it is a good group of people over there. We even have a member doing penetration testing through denim into calibrated ballistic gel with 10mm ammo
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Buddy
    AA9 is awesome for heavy boolits in the 10. Bonus, it's low flash also
    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity.”
    - Abraham Lincoln

Boolit Man

Found that place last night- thanks. A lot of information on heavy for caliber 10mm that I hadn't seen before.
    CSM(R) 1983-2013

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsnscrews View Post
    Cartridge is from Ammo Manufacture: Underwood 220gr Hard Cast (MT10mm)
    Ballistics Information: 10mm Auto
    Muzzle Velocity: 1240 fps
    Muzzle Energy: 750 ft. lbs
    Brass Make/Headstamp: Underwood - Brass
    Bullet Make/Weight/Construction/Info; Length 0.7310”/Dia. 0.4010”: 220gr. Hard Cast
    MEPLAT 0.2640” / Flat Base
    Actual weight 216.6 grains Crimp squeezed bullet to 0.4010”
    C.O.A.L.: 1.2585”
    Primer: Nickel color
    Case: Diameter 0.4215” Crimp Diameter 0.4225” (Tight) Length 0.9880”
    Powder Description/Positive ID/Type/Charge LongShot Weight: 8.6 grains
    I decided to try that load in a RIA 10mm that I recently bought. I have two powder measures currently setup on my reloading bench. One has Alliant Promo in it and the other, I had been using for Longshot, so I used it. The brass ruptured, the magazine self-destructed (i.e. disassembled itself in a rather violent manner), and the left side grip was stripped from the frame. And yeah, my hand did not enjoy it. Something hit me in the face also. Other than the screw holes being stripped out on the baseplate, it all went back together.

Looking back, I am now wondering if I really had Longshot still in that powder measure. It was only throwing 3.6 gr and I thought that a bit strange, but ignored it since *surely*, I would not have TWO powder measures set up for the *same* powder on my bench. Well, looking at the press closest to the powder measure in question, it seems that it is set up for 9mm. Looking in my reloading manuals, I do not see a load for 9mm with 3.6 gr of Longshot, but 3.6 gr of Red Dot (equivalent to Promo) is a listed load. So, I'm pretty sure that I ended up putting 8.6 gr of Promo in the 10mm cartridge and setting it off.

Anyone have a copy of Quickload that they can run the numbers on that load to see what sort of pressure and velocity my mistake ended up generating?

Last edited by NavyVet1959; 08-19-2016 at 01:04 AM.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post

Looking back, I am now wondering if I really had Longshot still in that powder measure. It was only throwing 3.6 gr and I thought that a bit strange, but ignored it since *surely*, I would not have TWO powder measures set up for the *same* powder on my bench. Well, looking at the press closest to the powder measure in question, it seems that it is set up for 9mm. Looking in my reloading manuals, I do not see a load for 9mm with 3.6 gr of Longshot, but 3.6 gr of Red Dot (equivalent to Promo) is a listed load. So, I'm pretty sure that I ended up putting 8.6 gr of Promo in the 10mm cartridge and setting it off.

Anyone have a copy of Quickload that they can run the numbers on that load to see what sort of pressure and velocity my mistake ended up generating?
    Quickload says 8.6 Red Dot w/ 220 (.461 seating depth) gives 167K PSI, 1380 FPS.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by g.man10mm View Post
    Quickload says 8.6 Red Dot w/ 220 (.461 seating depth) gives 167K PSI, 1380 FPS.
    Wow... I'm surprised there wasn't any other damage...

Boolit Man

Glad you are OK! I have multiple shot shell presses set up and use a piece of masking tape on the powder bottles to mark current powder and settings. May help you in the future. Again- glad it wasn't worse.
    CSM(R) 1983-2013