WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quietest .22 round?

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    Another vote for the cci quiets. I use a paco tool on them to modify the nose of the bullet.

[IMG][/IMG]
    What is the purpose of the mod?

Quote Originally Posted by beroen View Post
    What is the purpose of the mod?
    Yeah, and what's a "paco tool"? And where are people getting these quiet rounds?

Perma-Banned

I use both the colbris and the CCI quiet. The colibris make no noise but as others have stated you have to be careful and make sure they come out the barrel. I have shot 100's in my Marlin 39 and not had a problem so far.

In Remembrance

I was given some of the Colibri and the first round fired stuck in the barrel of my single shot rifle. The nexttwo rounds fired after running an oily patch through the barrel did pass through ok. I haven't fired any more. In the 1960's Remington made shorts with the gold bullet that were very quiet. I don't know if they are still made

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by txsnowman2k2 View Post
    Brand: Aguila 1B222339
    Item: AMM-066
    UPC: 640420001289

.22 Long Rifle, Aguila Super Colibri, 20 Grain Lead Round Nose Bullet, 500 Round Brick.

Aguila Super Colibri is super quiet ammo that does not contain gun powder but fires from the force of the primer only. Powerful and silent, great for use in urban areas. This is a 20 grain solid lead bullet in a brass case. Will break glass and penetrate hard tin cans. Velocity is 500 fps at the muzzle with 11 ft/lbs of energy and can be lethal. This ammo works great and is intended for .22 handguns only.

Will not cycle in semi auto guns. Non returnable item.

Not recommended for use in long barreled guns as the projectile may become lodged and be dangerous (lethal) if a regular cartridge is shot as a follow up.

Will not cycle in semi auto guns. Uses: Indoor training, pest control.
    These are amazing! Quite.........I shoot them in the garage! Yet can be fired at "pests" outside. Even quitter than my good air rifles.

I shoot them in my 22 long guns and revolvers. And yes......you have to manually cycle your semi's.

They are about the length of a 22 short, so watch loading into any rifle mag.....might cause problems. Mine will shoot ALL types of 22's.

I bought a ton of these a couple years ago when they were ~$17/K. Now they cost as much as real powder-bearing 22LR's!

But VERY quite. Look on YouTube for some demo vids comparing this to the real 22LR.

I have shot at least 2K of these thru 2 long guns and 2 revolvers with not a single one stuck in the barrels!

I have an airsoft rifle that approaches the velocity of these and makes more noise!

banger

Boolit Master
    There are the Aguilla colibri, and the 'super' colibri. The super colibri has a more powerful priming compound, and is better in the rifles than the standard colibri. (about 100 FPS faster)

Probably just as quiet though is a long barreled gun with a subsonic round. I mean probably at least 28". That with either the CCI quiet, or any standard subsonic round is a lot quieter than the same stuff through a 16" barrel.

Or buy a silencer.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by petroid View Post
    The way I understand it, the aguila 60gr load known as Sniper SubSonic, requires a faster rifling twist than is common in 22s. I don't know the exact twist rate.
    1-10 twist

I think the Super Colibri have plenty of power for pests... I've shot a few rats (actual rats) with them in my basement. They don't like tube feed guns though unless you put a spacer in the carrier (I did this and they feed fine in my winchester pump and are quieter than a BB gun). I like them out of a revolver though, which is what I used on the rats. I've shot several bricks of them and never got one stuck in the bore, not in the 10/22, not even in the 23" barrel on my pump action 62SA.

Only bad thing about them is you can never shoot just one, and you can never find them locally!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a .22 Pellet Gun that I have chrono'd at 975 FPS. I have taken out raccoon with it in the middle of the night. Was only about $150 a few years ago. Not whisper quiet, but quiet enough to shoot in a backyard anytime. Takes out chipmunks all day long. Would only upset a Coyote although. Unless it was a golden BB shot.

CB caps out of a pump or single shot are quite quiet, much less noise than an air rifle. The long cb caps feed from a magazine better than the shorts and don't make anymore noise.

I have a suppressed 77/22 that makes more noise dry firing it than shooting a long CB cap at least until the bullet impacts something. Only thing I have that beats "Hollywood" quite.

Boolit Bub

Angry

the empty .22 shelves
    Member of Berwyn Rod and Gun Club since 1983, it is an outdoor range located in Bowie Maryland, if interested in joining call 301-261-7515 or 301-464-9830

You don't pay too much, you pay too soon

Boolit Buddy
    Just a FYI. Walmart had a bunch of the CCI Quiet. 3 box limit. $3.30 ish /50.

Be well all

Boolit Master
    If you have Academy Sports, they have them now at the front counter. Limit 2 box of 50

mike

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by txsnowman2k2 View Post
    Brand: Aguila 1B222339
    Item: AMM-066
    UPC: 640420001289

.22 Long Rifle, Aguila Super Colibri, 20 Grain Lead Round Nose Bullet, 500 Round Brick.

Aguila Super Colibri is super quiet ammo that does not contain gun powder but fires from the force of the primer only. Powerful and silent, great for use in urban areas. This is a 20 grain solid lead bullet in a brass case. Will break glass and penetrate hard tin cans. Velocity is 500 fps at the muzzle with 11 ft/lbs of energy and can be lethal. This ammo works great and is intended for .22 handguns only.

Will not cycle in semi auto guns. Non returnable item.

Not recommended for use in long barreled guns as the projectile may become lodged and be dangerous (lethal) if a regular cartridge is shot as a follow up.

Will not cycle in semi auto guns. Uses: Indoor training, pest control.
    This stuff just isn't very powerful at all. When I was trapping I frequently used a head shot with it in a Ruger MKII to put down animals up to large cat size. One has to be very careful to make the perfect shot every time....otherwise more than one shot was needed. I am talking about 6" distances too ! The first time I used this ammo in a Ruger Bearcat it utterly failed because of the loss of power via the cylinder gap. Certainty is required when dispatching trapped animals.

Now if someone is looking to violate local gun regs in a nighttime shooting scenario...they best rethink what is going on. Trap the nuisance critter(domestic), carry it to the pound, and turn it in, or to the hunt club and dispatch it privately.

BvT
    Every lawbreaker we allow into our nation, or tolerate in our citizen population leads to the further escalation of law breaking of all kinds and acceptance of evil.
    Since almost all aspects of our cultural existence are LIBERAL in most states, this means that the nation is on a trajectory to dissolution by the burden of toleration and acceptance of LAWBREAKING as a norm, a trajectory back to the dark ages of history.

BvT

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron von Trollwhack View Post
    Now if someone is looking to violate local gun regs in a nighttime shooting scenario...they best rethink what is going on.
    Around here, the law doesn't say I can't shoot at night or in my neighborhood. I just like my neighbors enough to be quiet about it.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

I use a GAMO shadow .177 pellet rifle to shoot squirrels out of the bird feeder 8.9 gram pellets.

Boolit Buddy

Don't know if you can still get them (the box I have has a $1.89 price tag on it), but CCI "Mini Caps Long CB" are pretty quiet, and pack reasonable punch.