Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FAQ idea

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Jon B is willing to provide mod support.

I will work some this week on a few initial questions and responses and PM them to a few people for review.
    That works. I didn't really want to do it, was just offering.

Boolit Grand Master
    Jon, I think having the thread locked can cut down on infighting, or at least in a thread designed to be helpful.

I will try and get some content to you in the next week or so.
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

I believe this is an idea with a lot of value.
    Btroj, (if I missed this elsewhere in this thread I apologize)
    Do you want suggestions for questions posted directly into this thread, or handled via PM?
    I will be happy to lend support for this.

Boolit Master

Sounds like a good idea Brad... the answers should be basic...
    So I got one that seems to get asked quite often. ... what's the best boolit for my gun? Lol

Boolit Grand Master
    Ok guys, if you have a question you think is worthy please post it here. I will start compiling them tonight.

I hope this doesn't interfere with my shooting......
    You will learn far more at the casting, loading, and shooting bench than you ever will at a computer bench.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Look, the board has a FAQ, up under the banners, but it is nothing more than a search box. A FAQ is like walking up to the gates of Disneyland and picking up a brochure with a map on it. Make the FAQ one long page, general questions, links to sub forums, etc. For those who say we already have the stickies, picture walking into a public library you've never been to,,,,,how do you find the books you want without having to wander?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master
    Hamish, that is exactly how I see it.

One post, locked, with all the quick answers for a new guy. I hope to include links in some answers when applicable. No noise, no arguing, just a quick, concise response.

Boolit Master

Just a thought - What if, before a new member is allowed to register, the applicant is directed to a page that clearly states the availability, means of accessing and the reason for the existence of a Frequently Asked Questions thread?

I have noticed recurring instances of scenarios where, after new member's questions are asked and the link to a thread that answers the question is provided, the questioner's response indicates how difficult it was to find that specific information.
    Last edited by Tom Myers; 10-06-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Grand Master

I think it's a good idea BUT (there's always a but isn't there?) in addition to the thread being locked it needs to be pinned to the very top of the stickies in each forum. The list of stickies alone in some forums is nearly a full page and just sorting through the stickies can be a challenge. Then add in that the newbie doesn't even really know what he should be looking for and a FAQ thread would become just another sticky in a long list of stickies.

Just a thought . . .

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Tom, that idea has merit. It will be up to administration to make that happen. I can ask them.

Rick, I agree entirely. The sheer volume of stickies is part of the problem. The stickies are often things that are of little help to noobs.

You guys are doing great. Thanks

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    Good point William. What I want to do is use somewhat generic answers. Like a maid in the OP, no way can we answer questions in a manner that meets every specific situation.
    This entire comcept is geared towards the new guy, someone with little to know casting experience.

By making it a locked sticky we avoid all the drama that goes with answering many questions. It may rankle some but we can either help the noobs or we can confuse them.

I vote yes. ( Not that I have any say. ) ( It is like my vote in my home. I get one vote and SWIMBO gets two. )
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Banned

The order of stickies tends to cycle based on continuing posts, for example a lengthy sticky may fall down a few notches but it only takes one new post to roll it to the top of the list. The locked threads stay in the same place, but not at the top. I've been a mod on another forum using similar software and I'm not sure we ever did figure out a way to pin the stickies in a sub-forum so they stayed in a certain order.

Another option is to put it in the big, yellow announcement banner at the top, but I think that is reserved for other things?

Gear

You could maybe have a banner on the classics and sticky subforum only

Banned

maybe a top 10 new guy sticky list would help too..
    I'm staying out of this, never mind.

hey Jon we will need to run this past Rob or Nolan too.
    I'd like to see the number of sticky's on each page lowered myself.

Moderator Emeritus

I am about to suggest something MASSIVE !
    So MASSIVE, that'd it take a team of people to accomplish.
    This is nothing I'd attempt to do myself, I will not be volunteered to do this, as is usually the case when someone suggests a idea before a group of people...I've learned this lesson many times...I won't do it alone, but I am willing to be part of the team.

a few months ago, there was a discussion in the Swaging forum about the swaging stickies and other stuff.

I can't remember if it was suggested or if it was just a thought I had ? But it applies here even more so.

But first, I must say that I've never posted/mentioned this before, I haven't asked other Staff members or the Admin if they think this is OK. It would have to be discussed by the admin and approval sought.

Here it is...the MASSIVE idea.

In each forum and each sub-forum.
    1. unstick all the stickies.
    2. Make a FAQ that is specfic to that forum/subforum. it may only include one Q, or maybe many...maybe None, but they could easily be added.
    3. The FAQ would also contain a link to each of the previous stuck threads.
    4. The FAQ would be Stuck. It'd be the only sticky in the respective forum/subforum thread list.

There would be a few exceptions:
    -any stickies created by the Admin.
    -The Selling and swappin forum.
    -also the Classics and Stickies forum.
    -there maybe others, I haven't thought this through fully.

OK, that is my MASSIVE idea.
    Again, do not volunteer me to do this.
    Good Night, I'll be offline til 6am.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    Not a bad idea Jon but a nightmare for the mods.

I do want to add links to the FAQ to specific threads and stickies that contain pertinent information. Best way to get people to the right spot is to ankle it simple, links are simple.

Banned

I believe Tom's idea can be done.
    however if the person joining just blows through it then it won't be seen.
    no big deal I guess, but for someone new that want's some quick ideas of what this is all about, it would be perfect.

Banned

I like Jon's idea as long as someone else does it

Talk it over in staff and maybe do one sub-forum, like the gas check one, see how much work it is and if it's practical.

Gear

and to further their education on the subject might add a notation as to where they can go for more direct answers. (Google search) or another sticky
    https://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=0...69:ggn3vg-bjum
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Grand Master

We would be better served by cleaning up the existing stickies. Get rid of the ones that don't deserve the status. And clean out the gossip in most of them.

They have FAQs on other forums and here is a fun fact. No one reads them. I'm not saying what's proposed is a bad idea. But you have two type of people. Ones that want to learn and search it out, you can tell who theses members are. And then you have the person that joins and posts questions that have been answered a thousand times. It doesn't matter if there is a FAQ because they will never click the link.

I know I'm not alone w/ wanting the stickies cleaned up and cataloged properly.