WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: One of those days

Boolit Master

One of those days

First day off in about 10 days, so I head into the garage to do some reloading.

I decide to powdercoat some boolits, and pull my sprayer out of the box... only to find that the air valve is cracked right down the middle and it falls apart...

So, scratch that one. I decide to just handlube them and run them through a Lee die, since it was already on my press and I didn't want to fool with my Lyman 4500. I just wanted to make a handful of 405 gr .458s... maybe 30, tops.

All goes well, and it sure is putting out some pretty boolits. I'm patting myself on the back and thinking that it actually was pretty fun doing it by hand. I get done and reach for my .45-70 die box and what do I find in there?

My .459 sizer die. Turns out I just resized all my 405 grs to .452.

Some day I'll really learn to "measure twice cut once"...

Boolit Grand Master

Been there.
    Done that.
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Master

Just think of all the great practice you just got!

Boolit Bub
    Ouch!

Boolit Master

Well the good news, you can remelt, recast and do over, aint casting great.
    Je suis Charlie
    ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rednecks run the Brits out of this country years ago,
    I will defend this country from anyone or thing that tries to take it from me or mine
    I AM A REDNECK!!!
    "If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government,our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." Samuel Adams, 1776

Boolit Master
    Many of the mistakes I've made in my life have been the result of interaction with humans; not so much interaction with hardware. I've always been very detail oriented and obsessively cautious in the shop. Not so say I've never made a mistake. Just that due to redundant checks, I've (knock on wood) yet to let a mistake go undiscovered. I am to some, frustratingly slow and meticulous, but this is what makes me happy and satisfied.
    As I begin to see the signs of age creeping up on me, I am taking yet greater care in all of my actions and endeavors both in and outside the shop.

I applaud you in catching your mistake while it still only posed an inconvenience and not a major PITB.

Thanks for sharing. You may have just saved me from making the same mistake at some time during my sessions at the bench.

smokeywolf
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789