Load DataRepackboxSnyders JerkyLee Precision
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: I'm doing something wrong

Boolit Buddy

I'm doing something wrong

Many of my bullets come out weird. uncoated on one side. like a vertical strip going up from the base.

any advice?

Boolit Master

how are you applying the PC?

Boolit Buddy
    harbor freight sprayer. trying to spray a lot from different angles. sometimes they come out perfect, others real bad on one side. although they don't look it before cooking.

also none of them are very shinny.

Boolit Buddy
    The Great State,El Paso Tx. in the winter months, Michigan in the Summer Fishing for Salmon .
    What type of spacing are you using between boolits? I find that if I space them at about 3/4 from each other they coat well. how is your sprayer set up? there are other factors which can contribute to the conditions your having. Maybe some pics might help get you where you need to be?

Maybe they are not making contact with the ground?

Boolit Buddy
    spacing is what i was thinking, but not sure now. im doing maybe a half inch. Looked through the pics on the forum, seems im about the same as others that are getting good results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00718.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	116841

Boolit Buddy
    weird thing is. they don't look like this before going into toaster

The left one looks like it has the shadow of what was its neighbor on the spraying tray. Or a very light coat for some other reason. Have you tried spraying longer just to see what would happen?

You sure when you came at it from different angles you still had the pedal stepped on? Accidentally un-stomping it will mess with you. And the green light will go out.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Buddy
    I can try to pay attention to that, although, i know once i forgot to push it and the bullets still seemed to cover. I have been trying to spray longer, 4 sprays across the whole thing. that helps. sure uses a lot of powder tho. maybe its some weird way im spraying. sometimes the whole try is like this, some times they come out perfect.

I'm pretty sure a half inch between them is pretty close. Did you unscrew the yellow diffuser at the front? Something I've learned from Beagle is to aim for the bases, about 45deg angle. The tops will get covered automatically.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    I'm pretty sure a half inch between them is pretty close. Did you unscrew the yellow diffuser at the front? Something I've learned from Beagle is to aim for the bases, about 45deg angle. The tops will get covered automatically.
    I put the small one on. next time i was going to take it off. my tops seem to coat perfect every time. its the bottom half that i have issues with.

Quote Originally Posted by mallen View Post
    I put the small one on. next time i was going to take it off. my tops seem to coat perfect every time. its the bottom half that i have issues with.
    Take that thing off. And try the 45deg angle pointing at the bases. Maybe spread them out a little. You'll get it! And then you'll have a pic for that other thread!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by el34 View Post
    Take that thing off. And try the 45deg angle pointing at the bases. Maybe spread them out a little. You'll get it! And then you'll have a pic for that other thread!!
    chuckles.

yea. ill be taking it off. whever the next time i do some more is. it just seems weird. they look perfect before they go into the toaster. then come out just, weird.

Boolit Master

per someone on this forum (BangerJim?) I added this to the front of mine. Seems to concentrate the powder
    check post #8 for picture
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?233790-Fine-tuning-ES-gun
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Buddy
    they seem to be using less psi than i am

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Try different pressures till one fits you the best. You don't want it so slow that it starts clumping up in the tube on the spray gun, but you also don't want it going so fast that it can't stop and stick to the boolit as it blows by it.

I'd start out low (12psi or so) and work up til you find the one that fits your spray technique.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.