Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The reality of the horse and ranching by Duke Nukem

Boolit Master
    I was raised on a Farm/Ranch, and practically grew up on horse back.

Had as many as 17 horses at one point, before thinning things down to a more manageable amount of equines.

My favorite was an older quarter horse with a great temperament. He had been used as calming horse around skittish horses at the race track while they worked their way towards, and into the gates. He had also been trained to cut cattle, and was one smart cookie.

I've been bucked from horse back more than a few times, and I also have my fair share of scars, scrapes, and injuries from horses. Fortunately nothing crippling or debilitating injuries, yet I can still predict the weather quite well. You never forget getting the small bones in your foot crunched under a horse hoof. I still wear steel toe boots to this day, and not for fashion reasons.

Fast forward to today, and I no longer have any horses on the Ranch. I also don't see any more in my foreseeable future, unless I let a friend, or a neighbor board a couple. Ive been looking into cattle as well, but again in a much diminished fashion. I may lend/lease off some land just for feed to minimize my mowing duties now that I don't have so many grass munchers around.

I'm not 18 anymore, or in my 20's or 30's or even my early 40's. As I sneak up on my 50's I am just thankful to be as lucky as I was, and to still be somewhat mobile.

I vote for the ATV. The ATV or the tractor is how I do my little errands and chores now when I'm not driving the truck, or walking around on foot.

Hope that Barbie heals up quickly.

- Bullwolf
    Last edited by Bullwolf; 10-11-2014 at 11:48 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

A close friend runs 350 pair. He has a duaghter that rodeos but she is the only roper in the family. He hunts off of horses and brings them off the summer range with them but that is all. Another friend and his father manage a 660 pair ranch. Due to his fathers many horse wrecks they get it all done off of smaller 4 wheelers, 450 cc max. Reread what Charlie said about a small turning radius when out among cattle. Good luck with it.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master

As Jeff said it's still early in the healing process, please don't start making lists of things you "can't" do just yet. Hoping a full recovery will leave her options open. I came to an understanding with horses about 20 yrs ago; nobody got hurt but that old horse knew I had no business in a saddle and over the next few hours I learned he was right.
    I wish you well in your cattle venture, from what I've seen you can do whatever you set your mind to.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Duke always remeber ATVs dont bite kick rear stomp or get tempremental. Much easier to work with.

Boolit Master

Duke
    Only you and Barbie know how much you want to put into a cattle operation, how many head you want to deal with and even what you want to do with them in the end.
    I am much older than you, still want a 500 acre place to run some cows, grow some wheat and oats and hay. Yes it is work if you think of it as that or it might be where you reconnect with life, death and the world.
    I grew up working on a dairy farm and never never again, to much input for too little output or income for those not farm raised.
    Right now I am doing my internship and some days are very long, some are short and some are just plain long, but it is all fun until the 90 minute drive home then it can be stressful, exciting, down right boring depending on the traveling public that day.
    Most of the work on a farm can be done with equipment today if you are only raising beef animals. If you have feed and can keep them until the price is right or you need meat for the house then it gets easier yet.
    Don't let anyone tell you that you can't make a go of it as they have no idea of just what you plan on doing or how much and to what extent. Me I just might end up with 17, 40 or even 500 acres to work and enjoy.
    Me I have a broken back that is deteriorating, two shattered knees, arthritis in all my joints, a broken ankle and yes I will have my place one day even if it kills me which it might, but I will die one day anyway so why not go doing something that interests me.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

Duke, pull up with a bale of hay in your truck when you check them. Every time they see the truck coming they will associate it with hay and come running over. They usually act like 1200lb kindergarteners.

You wouldn't need an atv unless you have tons of cattle. The people I know do fine walking (less than 50 head on less than 50 acres). The more you run them and don't give them time to come to terms with what's going on, the more like sugared kindergarteners they will act.

That's probably more like 4 cents there.

Moderator Emeritus

My grandfather used a horse in the late 60's still to do some farm chores. Pulled a wagon etc. I always got stuck getting her ready and that old nag would always pin me against the side of the pen in the barn and then bite. I finally got tired of it and wrapped a hunk of leather around me knee then some barbed wire. Nag pinned me so I kneed her. She jumped to the other side and stared at me then sidled over to try to pin me again. After the 4th time she never tried to pin me again or bite. Grandpa never did figure out how I cured her of that.

Rode her and some of the neighbors ponies bareback, fell got stomped, got bit, broke ribs... now I am way to beat up to even think about riding anymore. Give me a gas engine and a comfortable seat. If the ATV is going to be easier on her go for it! As far as raising some cattle go for that too! Farm raised beef has spoiled me, I cannot eat store beef anymore.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    Duke always remeber ATVs dont bite kick rear stomp or get tempremental. Much easier to work with.
    I think I have atv's do all of that, ut at least you don't have to feed them when you aren't riding them. lol

Boolit Mold
    Or shovel out after you feed them.

Banned
    Duke,

I'm disappointed with you right now. It seems like you have thrown in the towel and and are ready to quit. I've seen many people fixed up after a break like the wife has. Over the last few years I have enjoyed the conversations we have had over the phone. My advice to you is this... step back take a deep breath and wait before you give up on your dream of the ranch.

As for the rifles.... If you don't hunt anymore then sell them.

The leather work is priceless the saddles are a work of art and to let them go down the road would be a mistake.

Take your time and think. Nothing has to be done right now. Do not make mistakes that you will regret later.

Boolit Grand Master

Humm, I'm of a different generation, or society. Grew up with a Farmall 200, 300, and 20. Moved and the farm had a Cub and a Super A. For most of what you need to do the Cub, A, or Super A equivalent (I don't know current tractors) with the necessary accessories will do all you need. They are designed to pull, cut hay, handle a front end loader, etc. and have been for years. ATV's are all the rage but I doubt they are as versatile as a good tractor.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I work my cows from on foot and atv. I've got mine so I can call them and they come running. I have the bull broke to halter, I throw a rope on him and lead him as needed they rest follow as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Duke,

I'm disappointed with you right now. It seems like you have thrown in the towel and and are ready to quit. I've seen many people fixed up after a break like the wife has. Over the last few years I have enjoyed the conversations we have had over the phone. My advice to you is this... step back take a deep breath and wait before you give up on your dream of the ranch.

As for the rifles.... If you don't hunt anymore then sell them.

The leather work is priceless the saddles are a work of art and to let them go down the road would be a mistake.

Take your time and think. Nothing has to be done right now. Do not make mistakes that you will regret later.
    I'm not giving up the dream of getting it.
    Let's go back to the beginning.
    Originally we were going to do a horse packing outfit out of N. Idaho or Yakk/Eureka Montana. Some malevolent entity decided they didn't want people able to live off the land so to say up that way so they brought in the wolf under the guise of some "Eco hippie" re-population project.
    As time went on the Elk population went down 80%.
    So we figure we better make our own food and not depend on someone else to do it for us. Kinda of like a WWII Victory Garden. We also did not want to be a burden on society and demand someone else provide us with what we need. With that said looking at the youth of today that will be running the world, all I can see is that were all DOOMED!!!.
    Hence the ranch project evolved out of the horse packing venture.

Also over the last year I told Barbie I have been contemplating abandoning our horse venture in lieu of the fact that in 13 years we will be 70.
    To those just tuning in were not looking a open/free range gazing like friends I knew did in CO and AZ.
    This is a 200 to 300 acre, fenced and cross fenced operations were looking at and basically shootin fish in a barrel.
    Seriously, I should be buying a house on a golf course in Scottsdale AZ at my age but I hate the game myself.

The ranch and cows are green light.
    Last edited by Just Duke; 10-21-2015 at 12:08 PM.

+1 on the cows, they taste much better than horses.

BB

An option might be a small spread in the Midwest. Good balance of woods and farm land. Low taxes wood for heat and landowner deer tags. We rent our tillable land that also serves as food plots. I'm 54 and out of shape but I still fill 2-3 tags per year and cut wood to help with heating. Two does in the freeze no worry about fencing or expenses. I plan to make our own meat as long as I can. Many members here in their 70's hunt. I seldom have to drag more than 100 yards and that would be less if I had an atv. We are two hours or less from some of the best hospitals in the world. It ain't Utah or Colorado but I can make meat 1/4 mile from my couch. Plenty of room for garden and fruit trees. FWIW.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    I know a lot of people in their 50's/60's and 70's who have permanent limps and/or other serious injuries due to horses.

Some like you have learned to let go and get rid of them. Others still think that they are 20 years old and are still riding.

I even new a waterski prodigy that had shattered all regional titles. He was on his way to becoming a World Champion Super Star. His parents spent hundred of thousands on this kid; even built him two private ski lakes!
    That all ended in a blink of an eye when his horse stepped on his foot.
    Six different surgeries in Dallas could not bring him back to normal.

You made a wise decision Duke.
    I also know someone in their 60's who was seriously injured in a bad horse wreck when he was 49, ME! I was ridding a fence to find where the cows were getting out (Black Angus, those dang things would have no trouble escaping San Quentin!) when a deer jumped right in front of us and the horse bolted, I was thrown off and then the dang thing stepped on me! I never fully recovered and soon had to retire from my mining job but we have managed to still run the farm and raise a few cattle, albeit without the help of horses! We still love living in the boonies "back on the ridge" and keeping it simple but some things from "the old days" are better left in the old days!

Today what I can't walk to I use a small homebuilt hydrostatic ATV type contraption that I built for the purpose, it may look a bit like a Lunar rover but it gets me where I need to go and won't bolt if it sees a deer!

Boolit Master

Duke
    We are all going to get older unless life gets in the way. You say in 13 years you will be 70 in that same time frame I will be looking at 80 and yes like I said I will get my ranch. I am going back to work to get funds to do it.
    Yes I will be rural to some extent, will have beef cows, and who knows what else. I have kids that are 7 and 8 and want dad to get some critters that I wouldn't, but if they are willing to help with the care of them then we will have them. IF the ranch 500 acres or more shows up then when I can't run the place the kids will have to step up or it gets sold simple as that and dad finds a smaller place to end his days if the place doesn't rush it on.

I know
    Barbie's being under the weather now has you rethinking things and that is a good idea, just remember take it slow.
    In a year you might find that Barbie can do a lot of things she and you like
    The future is just that the future none of know what things are going to be like in the next 6 months let alone over a longer period.
    The size and purpose of the ranch are up to just two people Duke and Barbie no one else
    Enjoy life and let it play out on its terms to some extent.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

If there is one, ONE, thing I have learned about you Duke, You do not jump into something blind. You think about it. You research it. You figure out how to make it work. If in your judgement, you feel it is time to let the Horses go, then who am I to think you did not take into consideration every feasible scenario, and feel you would be better off without. No one was offering a product you wanted, so you not only learned how to make that product, but designed that product and then figured out how to open a store for it. If you want to do cattle for you and Barbie, then by God, I have no fear that it will be a "failure". I have every confidence that you do in fact have a very strong idea of what you need to make it happen. I also have seen you take good advice and suggestions from others on how to fine tune your endeavor.

So with all that, I wish you Good Luck, and I wish Godspeed to Barbie for a quick and solid healing. I wish I could say that some of your products were in my price range, because I know that whatever I was able to purchase from you would be in Damn Good shape.

Now, I just need some popcorn to wait for the updates to roll in! Looking forward to them!
    GRANDPARENTS AGAINST RETINOBLASTOMA, BECAUSE NO CHILD SHOULD HAVE CANCER

Boolit Bub

DUKE I grew up on 120 acer faem in La. with two mules and a couple of milk cows.Dad had to work in the sawmill in the winter me and my brothers peeled pine poles for our school clothes. Some time later I discovered the cowboy in the white hat didn't always win. Every time a door closed in my face I turned to one that was open. I am retired now and we use the everyday world, cell phones computers facebook Ipad but also use the old ways. we pressure can a lot of our 2 gardens. I trap and sale fur. all our hambuger is deer meat. We may not be doing what we dreamed but we are happy. We are 72 and 70 life dosen't end until it ends. trust in God and go where your judgement leads you. You and your family are in my prayers jerryL

Boolit Master
    Where to begin?

I am a rancher and could not conceive running cows without horse power. Yet, I do all the above .... ride, use four wheelers ........ put hay in pickups and (cheat) ....... yes. We do all that.

I can tell you one thing ........ if I had an animal that was either on the fight or simply will not "come in" ....... you are down to one of two options ....... a horse or a gun.

I am sure your ground is different than mine but even in the most sublime pasture I can contemplate .... it's still the same cold hard facts ....... gun or a horse.

I am shocked by the number of horse wrecks that are displayed on this forum. It reinforces what my father insists upon: A good horse is cheaper than a bunch of medical bills.

I recall the English farmer on his four wheeler out checking his cattle. A new bull had been added to his herd. He wanted to see how things were going.

Upon finding the bull ....... it took him and began to pummel him ........ Miraclessly ... his cows encircled him and at least one of the mother cows was killed by that bull as it tried to close in and finnish the job.

I rather take my chances on a good horse when some bovine wants to ring my bell than on any four wheeler or side by side.

Three 44s