RepackboxWidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Getting ready to try to get my Texas concealed carry

Boolit Grand Master

I think your interpretation is you need a CHL to carry in your vehicle, for protection from a carjacking? You can't protect yourself or property while mobile?-popper

That's correct, sort of. If you're in control of a motor vehicle you're not exactly unarmed or defenseless. Self defense doesn't require a handgun but in most situations carrying a handgun requires a license. We used to use the "traveling" provision but it was a defense to prosecution, wouldn't necessarily keep you from taking a ride to jail. So yes, if you want to carry a concealed handgun on or about your person I feel it's best to have a CHL. I learned things in CHL class that I wish they'd taught in the police academy. Being armed and not knowing the law is a recipe for disaster, IMHO. Many peace officers feel carrying a handgun without a CHL in most situations is illegal and I'd rather not risk an arrest, trial and/or conviction when a CHL is available. Some jurisdictions have some very narrow interpretations of the statutes and I won't risk losing my 2nd amendment rights due to a weapons offense.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
    (a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
    (1) the handgun is in plain view; or
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Most of our statutes are written by the Texas Legislative Council.

http://www.tlc.state.tx.us/legal/dm/draftingmanual.pdf
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Some jurisdictions have some very narrow interpretations of the statutes and I won't risk losing my 2nd amendment rights due to a weapons offense.
    46.02 is clear, there is no longer a need to interpret (like there was with the traveling wording).

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    God forbid statutes ever be written in literate, common-sense language sans the endless myriad of "subsections" and "defined as" and "defense to" and other legal speak that only serve to, intentionally or otherwise, confuse the overwhelming majority of the population.

I also found this in the link posted, and had thought this had been done away with during the last legislative session, but apparently not:

That means about a fourth of our church, which is rather large, is in violation of the law every Saturday night and Sunday morning.

It also means that when my wife and I got married, albeit over two decades ago before CHL came to Texas, over 90% of the non-LE attendees at our wedding were in violation of the law--including the pastor, piano player and ushers.

I have serious issues with the "no guns allowed in a church" subsection here and will continue to blatantly ignore it. Churches are private property in which participation is one-hundred percent voluntary and that require no license in which to operate. They do require the usual building code permits and inspections, same as any other dwelling available for public visitation. But there is exactly zero reason to single out places of worship to disallow CHL or possession of any firearm.

You need to read the entire section, the church must be posted 30.06 if they do not want you carrying inside

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if
    the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by mrvmax View Post
    You need to read the entire section, the church must be posted 30.06 if they do not want you carrying inside

(i) Subsections (b)(4), (b)(5), (b)(6), and (c) do not apply if
    the actor was not given effective notice under Section 30.06.
    Our pastor has ccw and encourages members to carry in church.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mrvmax View Post
    46.02 is clear, there is no longer a need to interpret (like there was with the traveling wording).

Yes, but it is very narrow. If you stray from that direct route or step out of the vehicle with that handgun somewhere other than your home you could very well be in violation and face arrest. I agree with the castle doctrine, I agree with the vehicle provision of 46-02 but I still feel an educated and licensed citizen will fare much better in the aftermath of a justified shooting, will hopefully be able to avoid a questionable or unjustified shooting and will also be able to avoid arrest and prosecution in some of the more narrow-minded jurisdictions.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    A further reason for taking classes.

A woman from Pa entered N J and was stopped for a traffic violation.

She promptly notified the officer she was carrying and had a valid Pa license to do so.

Now she is facing major prison time and legal fees.

All it took her to get her license was pay a fee to the Co sheriff and she was OK in many states.

If she had attended a class they would have instructed her to check if the states she was planning to drive thru and visit would recognize her permit and if not just what to do in order to avoid problems.

Yes she DID save a few bucks but now is looking at 10-20 in the slammer.
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Buddy
    I got pulled over the other day in east tx and I moved the gun I was transporting onto the seat and told the officer I had moved it. He told me to put it back that is was an offense if they can see it. It was a non working gun too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop Junior View Post
    I don't have a way to go into a Virginia police station for paperwork.
    If you research this, I am sure it can all be handled online and through the mail.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Master
    For what it's worth, in TX, if you're in your vehicle, you're presumed to be travelling, and it doesn't matter if you're crossing the state, or or going across the street to your neighbors house, and it doesn't have to be a direct route either. Now where that can bite you is if you have the gun on your person and stop to buy gas (for example) on your way. You step out of the vehicle to pump gas, it just became a misdemeanor cause you're out of your vehicle, and then, the pump doesn't take your credit card so you have to go inside, and since most gas stations sell alcohol, it just became a felony. So while it is legal to carry in your vehicle, you have to be really careful about making sure it doesn't leave your vehicle when you make a pit stop. So the CHL, while not cheap, is much cheaper than what not having one can cost you. Please be careful out there everyone.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Quote Originally Posted by Lonegun1894 View Post
    For what it's worth, in TX, if you're in your vehicle, you're presumed to be travelling, and it doesn't matter if you're crossing the state, or or going across the street to your neighbors house, and it doesn't have to be a direct route either. Now where that can bite you is if you have the gun on your person and stop to buy gas (for example) on your way. You step out of the vehicle to pump gas, it just became a misdemeanor cause you're out of your vehicle, and then, the pump doesn't take your credit card so you have to go inside, and since most gas stations sell alcohol, it just became a felony. So while it is legal to carry in your vehicle, you have to be really careful about making sure it doesn't leave your vehicle when you make a pit stop. So the CHL, while not cheap, is much cheaper than what not having one can cost you. Please be careful out there everyone.
    When I say carry I'm my car, I mean in the glove box or door compartment.

Boolit Master
    Just keep it concealed in your vehicle, and be careful about when and where you take it out and you should be fine.

In Remembrance

If it helps, you have several months to complete everything after taking the course. Paying for the photo, fingerprinting, etc. can be spread out some.

I was hoping for that. That's good news!!

Boolit Master
    For what it's worth, they use the photo they have on file for you on your TX DL, so that shouldn't cost you anything.

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    When I renewed my FOID card I had to send in a "passport photo" and when the new FOID card showed up it only showed my D L photo.

Their reasoning is to match both to make sure it is really me.

Wonder what their response would be if I shaved off my beard of 40 years and submitted that photo?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.