Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox

Thread: How Much Lead In A 55 Gallon Drum?

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.

How Much Lead In A 55 Gallon Drum?

Just in case anyone might be interested the state of Maryland is auctioning 9 barrels of lead "***lead from firing range**" and the current bid is $802.00 + %6 sales tax.
    Here is a link to the auction:
    http://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa...744&acctid=432

I thought some of the special instructions were interesting:
    Buyer MUST abide by the following:

> Buyer MUST supply us with an equal number of 55-gallon metal barrels if they take ours.
    > Buyer MUST bring any necessary equipment to load the lead onto their transportation vehicle.
    ECI personnel will not provide loader or other equipment to assist in the removing of lead scrap barrels.
    So if a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights equals 100 pounds then 55 gallons of range scrap would be about 5,500 pounds or 2 3/4 tons times 9 barrels. Looks like just under 50,000 pounds or 25 tons total so currently less than 2 cents per pound including sales tax and replacement drums.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

i want .....
    now if i just had a way to pick it up [dratz] lolz
    3/4 of a barrel of lino is appox 1700 #'s so a ton easily enough , 2 ton i believe would be pushing it even tho lure lead is heavier than lino
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Grand Master

And you have to figure 20 - 30% waste depending on the range it was taken from.

Nine buckets was a long weekend for me. 9 barrels makes my back ache thinking about it.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    So if a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights equals 100 pounds then 55 gallons of range scrap would be about 5,500 pounds or 2 3/4 tons times 9 barrels. Looks like just under 50,000 pounds or 25 tons total so currently less than 2 cents per pound including sales tax and replacement drums.[/QUOTE]

If a 5 gallon bucket weighs 100 pounds, then it is 20 pounds per gallon. Your 55 gallon barrel would contain about 1,100 pounds.

Boolit Grand Master

In my experience, range scrap buckets are more densely packed than WW buckets.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Lifetime Supply?

that's a lot of lead... If only I had the equipment to handle such a load!

Boolit Master
    2-55gal barrels of WW I got in 2007-8 weighed about 1800 lbs each. I get barrels with lids from companies that do roadway lane marking.

Boolit Master

Any way you figure it that's a lot of lead.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm almost considering renting a Penski truck, a dolly and driving from KC to Maryland just for this!

I just checked this auction and the price was over $1800.00. From viewing lead auction in the past I am sure it will go quite a bit higher by end of auction on the 12th.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

In Remembrance

So much that you`ll only try lifting it up only once!Robert

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksmith View Post
    So if a 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights equals 100 pounds then 55 gallons of range scrap would be about 5,500 pounds or 2 3/4 tons times 9 barrels. Looks like just under 50,000 pounds or 25 tons total so currently less than 2 cents per pound including sales tax and replacement drums.
    A 55 gallon drum is like eleven 5 gallon buckets.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post

Exactly, If a 5 gallon bucket is 100 lbs., then a 55 gallon drum would be 11 times that or 1,100 lbs., not 55 times that!

Blacksmith, Your math needs some real checking. It is less than a ton per barrel or 9,900 pounds per your estimate.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits." - Albert Einstein

Makes one wonder if a person could weld a valve in the bottom edge of the barrel and just melt lead in the barrel and pour from the valve. ??? That would be alot of heating, and alot of scrap from jackets.
    CD
    When you find you are in deep trouble, look straight ahead,keep your mouth shut, and say nothing.

A man who is good enough to shed his blood for the country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards

Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Already mentioned in post #4
    Blacksmith

Boolit Buddy
    a gallon of pure lead weighs about 97 lbs.

Boolit Buddy
    a gallon of pure lead weighs about 97 lbs. assuming no airspace a 55 gallon barrel would weigh 5335 lbs