Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My New RIA Tactial 1911!

Boolit Master
    Curious... is there any practical application of the arched MSH? or is it just because some like the looks of it?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Animal View Post
    Curious... is there any practical application of the arched MSH? or is it just because some like the looks of it?
    The arched MSH fit my hand better. I have them on all my 1911's

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    This is funny as I was talking to a friend of mine today about MSH's. He prefers flat and as I have big hands I insist on arched! (also a long trigger) The original 1911 while it was in flux being revamped to please the U.S.Army for the trials to pick a new service pistol, was fitted with an arched MSH. This was not JMB original idea! He prefered the flat but he and Colt working with the Army included/changed a few things to give the Army what they wanted!

We have to remember though that the pistol he invented WORKED better and more reliably than anything at the time!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

I just reviewed a RIA TAC1911 but in 9mm Luger and they are fine pistols.
    http://rangehot.com/rock-island-armo...able-accuracy/
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

Boolit Master
    Ahh, I didn't realize the arch had much to do with grip comfort. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Hi Hunter,
    Nice review! My RIA Tac 45 had a LOT of sharp edges on it but no big deal I took care of that! I have never shot a 9mm 1911. It is something I need to do as the 9 and 45 are my go to cartridges now!

I believe Armscor is just going to get better and better in their products and it appears that they have a good gang of gunsmiths in Nevada to take care of any problems! Can't beat that as nothing is more aggravating than no help after a sale!

My next purchase might be the RIA Tac in 10MM!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Ahh, I didn't realize the arch had much to do with grip comfort. Thanks
    The arched MSH was added to correct the 1911's tendancy to shoot low when point shooting. Some people don't agree, but it works for me.
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Boolit Master

I have small hands and all of my 1911's have always had a flat MSH. I liked the flat much more than the arched.

Vendor Sponsor

MSH works for me like this.. Look straight ahead, then hold the pistol out at arm's length sideways. Now turn your head and look where the sights are. If they are aligned pretty good, this gun fits your hand correctly and is a perfect extension of your forearm. If the front sight is high, and you have an arched MSH, you need a flat one. If they are low and you have a flat MSH, you need an arched one.

This simple test is mandatory for me for an edc, this means that even in the dark, the gun will hit where my forearm is pointed.

Same with my S&W j frame, I use rubber grips with an open back and the sights are aligned perfectly when I throw it out sideways then turn my head and look at the sights.

seagiant your RIA chambers/plunk tests .452" okay?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Thanks Doug interesting! Never heard that one! I like the arched MSH and a long trigger because my hands are so big (long)!

Yes! You should have no problem with .452,mine run about .451 out of my Star Lubsizer. I have never heard of any fitting (tight chambers) out of RIA pistols!

Heard today that Armscor is going to build their pistols in Montana shortly? A new player no doubt!

Vendor Sponsor

OK she's real fit.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

My son got an RIA in 9mm around last Christmas and it did group poorly until it was sent in. The gun was returned within three weeks and is very accurate now. My son is a 90% shooter at the 25 m ISSF pistol target and loves his RIA for fast and for accurate pistolcraft.