Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Warning" New Lee Moulds (Left Hand sprue plate screw)

Boolit Master

I have a few Lee molds and they each have a different problem. Some have a loose screw, some cast fine and some have one bullet that takes extra taps to release. But due to the price I can get many more molds to cast with. There are trade offs with anything. I choose to have many more different bullets to cast and deal with the small things as they come along.
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Master
    Most of my Lee molds cast smaller than they are supposed to, some a little others quite a bit. I would much rather they were a little on the big side as it's much easier to size them down than up. A 30 cal bore rider should not have a .295 nose.

Boolit Master

I bought one of the LH molds a few months ago......I tried everything I knew to loosen the sprue plate, which was too tight, and after totally buggering up the screw head, I noticed the 'LH' etching, tried to turn it backwards.....gosh, I felt dumb.

But now the sprue plate tension is correct, and it drops round, useable bullets like rain. How can I complain about that for $20?

Boolit Grand Master

Never had a problem with Lee sprue place screws, but if I did - I'd remove it,
    drill and tap crossways for a setscrew and go on.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    Never had a problem with Lee sprue place screws, but if I did - I'd remove it,
    drill and tap crossways for a setscrew and go on.

Bill
    I do that with all my Lee moulds anyway, even two holers, as well as the rest of a normal 'lee-menting'.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is how one cures the problem of the "Eternal Loose Spure Plate."

Take the Sprue Plate off of your mould.

Throw the mould on a drill press and drill out the Sprue Plate Screw hole ALL THE WAY THRU THE BOTTOM OF THE MOULD..

Go down to your local friendly and find a plated screw that will not only go all the way down the longer Sprue hole now, but that protrudes out the bottom about 3 inches or so.

Get a couple of nuts and a washer that fits the long screw you are going to buy.

Then go to the store's coil spring display and find a coil spring that you can slide over the part of the screw that protrudes out of the bottom of the mould.

O.K. Got the concept now?

Put the Sprue Plate on the screw, run it thru the mould and then slide the coil spring OVER the part of the screw protruding out the bottom of the mould.

Slide on the washer and then thread one of the nuts on.

The more you screw the nut up the screw, the tighter the spring pressure is on the Sprue Plate!

Of course, then screw up the second nut until it gets to the other nut. You can tighten them and "Lock" the nuts together.

Now you can cast to your hear's content and your Sprue Plate will not loosen up!

Boolit Buddy
    I have a couple molds with the new left handed threads. It made no difference. I still have to occasionally tighten umm or loosen the screw. Its not a big deal and only takes a second. I keep a couple screwdrivers on my casting table for that reason. Friction from the sprue plate turns the screw whether it while it is opening or closing. What I think is funny is someone who designs these things thought this would solve the issue, then someone else in the chain of command approved the idea and so on and so forth down the line so now we have the "New and Improved" which is actually the "Same as it was Before". Oh well, nice try boys. Maybe youll think of adding a set screw next. (right hand threads please) I like Lee stuff and don't mind a little tinkering to get things working well especially for the price but that screw idea was screwy.

Do you have to use a left handed screw driver to work on sprue plate screw?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by C. Latch View Post
    I bought one of the LH molds a few months ago......I tried everything I knew to loosen the sprue plate, which was too tight, and after totally buggering up the screw head, I noticed the 'LH' etching, tried to turn it backwards.....gosh, I felt dumb.
    You are not alone and in good company. Woke up really early last week and stepped out to take advantage of the cool air to cast in. Was still dark outside. Figured I would warm up the pot and get mold preheating before I headed back in for some caffeine and toast. Got pot plugged in and picked out my first mold (457-340). Noticed plate was a bit lose so i went to tighten...would not budge....still in a stupor i tried to loosen and would not budge... Confused and half asleep I proceeded blindly. After a few choice words I finally noticed the 'LH' and proceeded to force the issue in what I was assurred was the proper direction and promptly tore the head off the screw. When the sprue plate fell off I noticed that I had put a set screw in this mold (and forgotten that I had) and it was firmly engaged... Talk about feeling like an **** all morning.

lesson learned - no casting before caffeine! And can't believe i confessed to this...
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

Boolit Buddy
    yeah rick that's common knowledge left handed screwdriver for left handed screws and right handed screwdrivers for right handed screws. lol

yeah rick that's common knowledge left handed screwdriver for left handed screws and right handed screwdrivers for right handed screws. lol
    Is it backwards in the southern hemisphere??

Boolit Buddy
    No but you must stand on your head, hold the screwdriver steady and turn the mould. If you are right on the equator you may lie on your left side.

Boolit Buddy

Lee fixed somthing that wasnt broke. the alingnment pins are ok but the left handed NC threads are junk! I never had a problem with the old style sprue plates comming loose. now it does come loose. its either too tight and rips up the alum or way loose and the boolit has fins.

I want the old style back!!!

Boolit Bub

You would think Lee would put one of those little "ATTENTION" slips of paper in the box or taped to mold alerting buyers to this.