RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners

Thread: Special grips for a special gun

Boolit Buddy

Special grips for a special sixgun

I posted a couple of months ago about how I managed to find one of the Flattop .41s new at a dealer this past June. After a trip back to Ruger to correct an improperly indexed barrel, I now have it back and have been working with it some. Obviously the first order of business was something besides the black plastic cheese graters it came with from the factory. I wanted something out of the ordinary for this gun. I searched and searched for something I liked but finally decided it was either make it myself or pay $$$ for something custom-made. After about 3 weeks of keeping my eyes open for a nice piece of something to make a pair of grips out of, I was walking through a department store with my wife and happened across some natural wood cutting boards made of olive wood. I found one with impressive figuring, about a 14" oval, for all of $30. The wheels started spinning. After about 12 hours worth of cutting, sanding, fitting, and oiling, here they are:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0234.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	60.8 KB 
ID:	114092
    I think they fit the bill perfectly for this gun. It is now one of the last things in the safe I would ever let go of!
    Last edited by Deep Six; 08-21-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Boolit Master
    Nice work! I don't believe I have ever seen Olive wood..

Those turned out beautiful, nice job.
    I took out an old stump from a dead peach tree (15yrs+) the other day. Couldn't hardly cut it with a chainsaw it was so hard. HHHUUUMMM this post makes me wonder..... Maybe I'll get it out of the wood pile and take the table saw to it and see what I have. My .41 BH 4-5/8" needs some grips purdy too.

Boolit Master

ya there ok i think you can do a better job so just send those to me ill put them on my 41 BH 4 5/8 and just make yourself a better set
    very nice
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Very nice work. You should be proud to have those one-of-kinds on that flat top wheelie.
    jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCKYDAWG13 View Post
    ya there ok i think you can do a better job so just send those to me ill put them on my 41 BH 4 5/8 and just make yourself a better set
    very nice
    Ha Ha nice try! Actually I did try putting them on my 44 spl flattop and the locator pin was just ever so slightly off enough that they wouldn't fit. I started out by glass bedding the roughed-out blanks to the frame and then contoured and fitted them from there. They are such a perfect fit that I doubt they'd fit any other gun!

Boolit Buddy

Good job! Those are outstanding. Great caliber too!

Boolit Master
    Very Nice!
    "To anger a conservative, lie to him. To anger a liberal, tell him the truth." —Theodore Roosevelt"

Exellent job! I wish I had those skills. Very nice sir.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful job. I have my Blackhawk in 45c/acp that I need to change the grips. Having problem with neck issues causing last three fingers in right hand to kinda curl and lose strength. Figured have to go with a larger grip and the ones you made are perfect solution as I can adjust thickness. Thanks.

Ron

Boolit Master

Beautiful.

You could sell those.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Beautiful.

You could sell those.
    Not at 12 hours per pair. I see the guys selling similar oil-finished exotic wood grips on ebay for $80. They either have a line on them from china, a faster way of doing them, or are willing to make grips for $5/hour. I'll stay content making them for my guns. My next goal is to make a set from a piece of wood cut from a tree on my property. That or maybe I'll try my hand at Elk antler or something.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Lookin' good! You wouldn't wanna part with the black plastic cheese graters would ya?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Lookin' good! You wouldn't wanna part with the black plastic cheese graters would ya?
    Nah I like to keep them around since they're the factory part. They make good patterns and then they're there just in case it needs to go back to Ruger.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Totally understand. Those are actually my favorite grips for them.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy

Beautiful grips! For a moment, you had me thinking about trying to do the same--till you got to the part about glass bedding.

Guess I'll just buy some aftermarket grips.