Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: You Don't Need Perfect Coverage to get Zero Leading

You Don't Need Perfect Coverage to get Zero Leading

This past week we had a very rare bout of summer rain. Typically the summers in the Central Valley of Northern California are bone dry with dewpoints in the 30's and 40's (that's 20% down to teens in humidity). I wanted to see how powder coating works in a humid (dewpoint in the 50's) environment. Humidity is the enemy of static electricity which is what ASBBDT is based on.

Well, now I know how frustrated you fellows are out in the humid climates. Just that little change in humidity caused my boolits to have less than stellar PC performance with uneven paint (looks like a bad spray paint job) and bare spots.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2085.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	113397

Most of the coated boolits measured around 0.405". I sized them down to 0.401" with the Lee push through sizer with no lube needed. The boolits slid through with ease and some of the powder coat flowed into the bare spots so coverage on the driving bands increased somewhat, but there were still some bare spots.

Name:	IMG_2092.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	113399
    I loaded them and shot 250 of them today. Still had zero leading! The only stuff in the rifling was soot, most of which swabbed out with a wet patch of Hoppes No.9. The more stubborn stuff came right off with a wet brush and none of it was lead. It would have probably soaked off if I let the #9 soak for a minute.

So even with poor coverage and less than perfect powder coated boolits, you still have an effective coating!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Poor Coverage Unsized.JPG   IMG_2091.jpg  

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    I wanted to see how powder coating works in a humid (dewpoint in the 50's) environment.
    It's not too bad where I am but, 50% is low humidity for us in summer. Those southern fella's can only dream of 50%! Glad it's working so well for you!

Quote Originally Posted by rsrocket1 View Post
    So even with poor coverage and less than perfect powder coated boolits, you still have an effective coating!
    That is excellent to hear, thanks for the report.
    "The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." --H. L. Menchen

Love Life
    The humidity in my garage this past week has averaged 79%. In Nevada it was usually in the teens.

However; to the op. 100% coverage is not required. It just looks better.

I am one of the lucky ones that live in a humid area in the summer time ( central Florida) and I can tell you that if I could get my bullits to come out like those you have in the pictures I'd be happy.My first coat on my bullets looks really bad,very splotchy and I have to coat them a second time to get them half-way decent looking.I think they'll shoot OK,but they sure won't win a beauty contest! I'm just wondering if the uneven coating will affect accuracy as I haven't got to shoot mine yet.I'm going to be doing pistol calibres,.9mm,38,357,40,45 and maybe some 45-70.They don't have to be that pretty,but do have to be accurate.morayman............
    "Peace is that brief glorious moment in history
    when everybody stands around reloading".
    Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

That's why I use the gun to cover mine still. I wish I could tumble them since the production seems to be easier but with humidity in the 90% range most of the time it isn't going to happen.

Boolit Master

I have gone to a technique of two extremely light coats of PC instead of one. I achieve that by only shaking the ASBBDT for only 15 seconds and place them on the Al. Foil and cook for 15 minutes, then repeat. They have been turning out real nice and pass through the Star sizer with ease.

sparky45, what color is that? Those look great!

On topic, I also find that less than 100% coverage still functions 100%, they just don't look as nice.

On dry days, I only need to swirl the boolit/BB mixture in the Styrofoam box and get great coverage. I could even get away with putting boolits and powder into a gallon Ziplock bag and massaging it for about a minute. On that humid day, swirling did a terrible job. Shaking the box and flipping it over and over improved coverage enough to make them "passable".

Looks like the ESPC is the foolproof way with all powders and maybe the more expensive powders have a better ASBBDT success rate in the more humid climates. For experimentation purposes, unfortunately there are not many humid days out here. I may have to wait until the fall rains in October or November to do some more testing.

The good thing is that I've been able to shoot 200-400 of these each week so I'll be casting up some more soon.

Quote Originally Posted by morayman View Post
    I am one of the lucky ones that live in a humid area in the summer time ( central Florida) and I can tell you that if I could get my bullits to come out like those you have in the pictures I'd be happy.My first coat on my bullets looks really bad,very splotchy and I have to coat them a second time to get them half-way decent looking.I think they'll shoot OK,but they sure won't win a beauty contest! I'm just wondering if the uneven coating will affect accuracy as I haven't got to shoot mine yet.I'm going to be doing pistol calibres,.9mm,38,357,40,45 and maybe some 45-70.They don't have to be that pretty,but do have to be accurate.morayman............
    I also live in Florida on the Space coast with high humidity! What i do is keep my powder and the containers that i coat with in the house where a/c is on and do the coating in the laundry room.
    Works very well and get i coat coverage using super wet black!

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I have gone to a technique of two extremely light coats of PC instead of one. I achieve that by only shaking the ASBBDT for only 15 seconds and place them on the Al. Foil and cook for 15 minutes, then repeat. They have been turning out real nice and pass through the Star sizer with ease.
    nice, what's that mold Sparky, is that 30 cal? Looks like something I could stuff in 300 blk subs?
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

Middle America, Missouri was moved to east of I-435
    I have found that 'some' powders that I have used will only puddle.

The powder in question is a 'black' and no matter what shake method I try, the pigment will just clump up during the curing process. It looks terrible. But, the polyester carrier does cover the lead.

I have other powders that will have thin spots of pigment, the polyester still gives full coverage. I'm pushing these 'thin pigment' coated boolits at over 2650 FPS with no leading or any other side effects.

I have switched to 'Clear' polyester powder coating and as of late have been introducing some of the Airsoft BBs from the colored powders into the clear. There is just a tinge of color

Enjoy,

OSOK

Boolit Master
    My first time doing the PC thing. I tried the kind used with solvent (acetone) For me it works great.

Its Hi tek new coating.

Pics required.

Name:	DSCN4330-XL.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	113942

David

I did these SWC's last night with HF White. Took 2 coats, but they will suffice for lube replacement. I don't see why everyone is so worried about the total coverage of the bullets. Isn't the only part that really matters the driving bands? After all, PC is only done to replace lubing and your just going to shoot them into a backstop.

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."
    - Samuel Adams

COTEP CBOB0736