Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Stories on smoothbore pistols

Boolit Master

Stories on smoothbore pistols

Those of you that have them. Would like to hear about your experiences with loads, shot size, patterns and general use of them. Thanks Todd/3leg

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've got one I put together last year, but haven't had time to do much load development. I think I'm using around 35 gr. 3F behind the round ball. I would try the same powder charge, and about 45 gr. equivalent measure of shot. Thanks for the reminder, grouse season is just around the corner!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010002 (2).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	112222Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010003 (2).jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	112223
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

I have a TC Patriot that had a rusted out bore. I opened it up to .513" and honed it the best I could with what I have available. First outing it leaded something terrible, so I honed on it more. Next time it did a lot better, but I think I'll just make a new barrel for it eventually. At any rate, 40gr. of homemade powder and an equal amount of shot and cardboard wads made very useful patterns out to about 15 yards. A bird or rabbit couldn't get through the pattern at that range. At 25 yards there were big holes in the pattern, and I wouldn't try shooting at something that far away. With patched .490" balls it will hold about 2 inches at 25 yards, using 55gr. of the same powder. I like the idea of a smoothbore pistol, not quite as accurate as a rifled one but you have the option of shooting shot, so for playing around or hunting small game I think it's a pretty neat way to go.

Thanks for posting this - it reminds me to start looking out for a chunk of barrel to fit to that Patriot!

-Nobade

Boolit Master

Sarco has 26 inch, .45 cal., octagon barrel blanks for $75 right now.

Boolit Buddy
    The last smoothbore pistol I recall shooting much was an original, about .65 cal (carbine bore, for the Brits among us). As with all the other smoothbore pistols I've owned, I found that within reason, group size at 25 yards decreased as the charge increased. Best load for me in that pistol was 65 gr. FFg, with a patched ball that measured about .007" under bore diameter. On a good day, it went bout 60% for pop cans at 50 yards.

Boolit Master
    At least 20 years ago I picked up a Johnson M1842 54 cal smooth bore pistol. Never thought about shooting it until 4-5 years ago. With some difficulty, I replaced the nipple (probably the original) and checked barrel and lock function. I cleaned and lightly lapped the bore.

With a ticking patched .520 RB and 25 gr of FF black, I shot it at 15 yards. Big surprise was how good the group was and how close it was to POA- more like point of "point" with no rear sight. Nice cluster group of about 3 inches.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    When I was a kid I used to shoot an 1842 U.S. Ames .54 boxlock pistol. I did not have the proper round ball mold, so shot it with 30 grs. of 3Fg, a 28-ga. wad and 1/2 oz. of 7-1/2 shot. Effective on small game to 25 feet or so. A buch of bunnies fell to that gun, which I still have,
    but don't shot anymore.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 08-02-2014 at 08:14 PM.

In Remembrance
    Interesting topic. As I just looked a a "12 m/m" smoothbore percussion at a pawn shop today.
    It was a Spanish 'Mendi'. A smallish handgun with a round barrel. Obviously made inexpensively, but it did look better than most Jukars I've seen. They were asking $80, probably take $60.

In Remembrance
    Those old timers knew what worked.
    A shame there are so many heavy, awkward rifled octagon barreled repro pistols, and few like the Johnson pictured,, even though big caliber roundbarrel smoothbores were much more common, and far more practfical.
    I've handled an original .60 Irish made smoothbore "pocket gun" and believe me, it was the very soul of practicality in an 18th century uncertain world.
    Last edited by Rio Grande; 08-02-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Boolit Master
    there is a couple of face book sites dedicated to "bucket Pistols"

3rd Light Dragoons (reenacted) Revolutionary War

Pommel Pistols/Saddle Holsters-buckets/Dragoon Helmets
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black