Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 336 in Pawn shop

Boolit Master

Marlin 336 in Pawn shop

I stepped into a local pawn shop yesterday and saw a marlin 336 30-30 on the shelf. No box. Fit and finish looks good with walnut stocks. 69 prefix and looks mint. I don't think a round has ever been fired in it. Owner has $400 on it but volunteered that he would take $375. This seems to be not too far out of line with going prices.

Pros:
    1. I don't own a 30-30.
    2. 1969 born date seems to be in the heyday of good solid Marlin manufacture.
    3. As new condition.
    4. I have the money.

Cons:
    1. I don't have a 30-30.
    2. I need rifle in a new caliber like a hole in my head.
    3. I have no brass.
    4. I have the money.

I'm working through my normal pre-purchase buyer's remorse phase, and I need some feedback. I would be shooting cast exclusively.

Let her sit or rescue?

Thanking you in advance,

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Banned
    It doesn't sound like you really want that rifle. Save your money until you find that gun that you have to have . When that happens (and it always does) you'll have the money in your pocket for that purchase.

Boolit Master
    if you have the money, buy it. I once passed up a terrific deal on a Ruger Red Label, and regretted it ever since. Every time I think about it, I could kick myself. CF

Banned

If it's an older one before the safety and when Marlin put nice blueing and good wood on them, I think that's a pretty good price. They're good rifles and the .30-30 is a lot of fun and a good cartridge. Most of the ones I see like that are priced higher than $360.

Boolit Master

In 1969 the "69" did indeed indicate the year of manufacture. The serial number will be on the top tang just behind the hammer. The rifle will also have the JM proof mark in a circle on the barrel just in front of the action. I have seen samples of the proof mark on both the right and left side of the barrel. If the serial number is on the left side of the action then all bets are off and the "69" does not indicate the year of manufacture, only that it is a "Remlin" rifle. It sounds like you have found a good rifle at a fair price. I will tell you that "Marlinitis" is an easily contracted disease, and the first purchase usually leads to additional purchases. Since this is the case it's good to go ahead and stock up on brass, dies, and molds as you'll probably need them. Looking into the future you may want to go ahead and begin stocking up on 35 Remington supplies as well.
    Good Luck, and enjoy your new to you rifle,
    Rick

Boolit Master

No crossbolt safety and JM right side of barrel at receiver, serial No. on top tang. Unfortunately it's sounding pretty good.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Get it. You don't have to want it, or need it. If you have the money, or the means to get the money, or the credit to someday get the money. Get it. (enabler)
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    At 375 even if you don't ever shoot it you will gain money reselling or trading it.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Grand Master
    Can you give me directions to the pawn shop? Just kidding, of course. Good rifle & good investment even if you decide you don't want/need it. The .30/30 is a fun little cartridge, easy to load for, and a very good game getter in it's own right. Components abound and those 311041 & 311440 moulds fly well and function well in that action.

Boolit Buddy
    You can always call it your disguised Urban Assault Rifle, I have heard the 30-30 and 7.62 x 39 for the AK-47 are very similar ballistically.

Boolit Master
    A mint 69' for 375, I think I would already have 375 less in account. 69' was the year they moved from New Haven to North Haven. Pre 69 had bolts chromed and post move went to electro-nickel due to EPA/Frog Licking/Tree hugging issues. "Marlinitis" is a very real disease, having been diagnosed about thirty years ago. I am in remission at this time, but the disease often flare ups requiring a Marlin safe to deal with symptoms. A fellow once said "You can never go wrong with a 30-06", very true I believe. But if you have a couple of those and a couple 30 WCF's in the house, the skies are blue and the sun is bright. Get the picture?

Boolit Grand Master

Allow me to address the "cons": 30-30 is a very forgiving cartridge and once-fired brass will be readily available at a public rifle range near you in the next couple of months. If you'd rather not do that the brass is available new, for now, and will generally be available as loaded ammo. RCBS Cowboy dies are a good value, you likely won't need an "M" type expander because the set includes a good expanding die.
    To address the "don't have a 30-30" issue I think that is the most serious one and should be addressed by buying this rifle or one that appeals to you more. It sounds like a good price, I've paid more for Marlins I liked.
    On the other hand I'm an unabashed Marlin fan, a thutty-thutty fan and an enabler to boot. Buy it, I seriously doubt you'll regret it. I need to quit buying every nice rifle I run across but I'd likely buy this one.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't suffer from Marlinitis, BTW, I enjoy it immensely. I often stray and allow a Winchester to follow me home but for me they're mostly toys or eye candy; the Marlins are solid hunting rifles.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Great price for a 'mint' 30-30 considering it does not have the cross bolt safety. I wouldn't hesitate at all. Great rifle all around and fun to reload/cast for.
    “I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them." the duke

In Remembrance

If the owner will let you, remove the bolt and check the rifling. 69 was a transition year and some of them had the preferred Ballard Rifling. My 69 does and it shoot cast just as well as J words and I don't have to keep my speed down to the 1600 fps as recommended by Lyman manual. My rifle also like the 311041 sized to .309. 1.5 inch groups at 100. Get the rifle. you will NOT regret it.
    Tennessee Hunter Education Instructor

“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to
    restrain the people; it is an instrument for the
    people to restrain the government-lest it come to
    dominate our lives and interests"
    Patrick Henry

Boolit Buddy
    Hell I recommend you get it cause it's just UNAMERICAN NOT TO HAVE A 30-30.

Boolit Master
    Consider it as an investment. An item that will maintain its relative value over time, or increase in value AND you can enjoy your INVESTMENT. Can also be considered a very effective and politically correct 'personal defense' weapon. Marlin 336's are just very enjoyable. The .30-30 is well-proven and a great deal of information for reloading is available. Do the right thing, invest in your future.

Boolit Buddy
    Get it, Dude!

Boolit Master
    I am in the boat where I have too many calibers for the amount if time I spend at the range. I've decided to shoot more and buy guns, dies and brass less. I think we all go through these cycles.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    I don't suffer from Marlinitis, BTW, I enjoy it immensely. I often stray and allow a Winchester to follow me home but for me they're mostly toys or eye candy; the Marlins are solid hunting rifles.
    I'm just the opposite I use my Winchesters and look at the marlin.
    wouldn't stop me from buying this one though.