Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad DataInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casting for a 92fs, 9mm or 357 mold?

Boolit Buddy
    I had trouble keeping a cast 121 grain cast boolit under control with 4 grains of 700x a bit to hot for my taste. If you can plug the bore with a wad cutter that is 158 grains in a 9mm I think your problems are about to become much larger

Boolit Grand Master

I load .358 in my berratta 92 fs and it is a much better performer. my bore runs .3575 and most seem to be on the larger size. You ay not need 2 molds buy a mold I would try for 125- 135 grns round or truncuated nose that casts 358. size for the berratta to .358 and them cm to .357 if neccesary. 1 mold 2 sizing dies.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheFirst View Post
    Are you trying to tell me it blew your gun up? lol
    nope I done it.
    the boolit was fine and was actually fairly accurate. [the harder I pushed it]
    I decided to work the load up and see if it was possible to see pressure signs as I went.
    I took things too far [shrug]
    no real loss as far as I am concerned, I have never met a Taurus I liked anyway.

So is this another case of "if you see pressure signs you have gone too far?"
    You better watch where you go and remember where you been
    That's the way I see it I'm a Simple Man. - Charlie Daniels
    For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins. -Matthew 6:14-15

Banned

definitely.
    the 9 is touchy to things like oal affecting case capacity.
    titegroup is even worse, bad,bad combination to muck about with.

airc ruger used to buy factory ammo and seat the bullets .030 deeper to make proof ammo with.
    that's about the same as using data for a sierra or speer bullet and then seating a hornady xtp in their place to it's book oal.

the 9 has my respect.
    the above are all reasons why I strongly suggest you first determine the oal you need to make the gun function 100%, and then extrapolate the case capacity leftover before starting load work up.

Boolit Master

For those who mentioned that they desire a heavier boolit in the 9mm, I suggest a 146 grain truncated cone design sized to .358 if your mold will throw it that large. I use this design in my Model 19 and Model 28 revolvers with great accuracy and moderate recoil at 1,100 fps. While I haven't fully developed a load for the 9mm with this boolit yet, my initial tests have proven reliable and accurate with velocities in the mid 900s in a Browning High Power. Sooner or later I'll test it in the Model 92. I roll crimp over the beginning of the ogive for revolver use and taper crimp for the 9mm.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Master
    Lee .356/125 2R This one comes in a 2 or 6 cavity.
    I shoot this one in my model 96 with a 9mm barrel. It is pretty accurate and you may be able to use it as cast or unsized? I think mine fall out of the mold at .358. The 120 gr TC is another good one, and should feed in any gun.
    I gave up on trying to lube boolits after I discovered powder coating. No leading and no mess, best part is you can do it with a cool whip plastic bowl.
    Do, or do not.
    There is no try.
    Yoda

Boolit Master
    My Taurus PT99 would lead the barrel with cast boolits sized to 0.358 dia.
    Barrel slugged to 0.3575 dia.
    I then started powder coating them and the leading went away.
    I like shooting RED boolits anyway.

Lafaun
    Just staying at home and playing with multi-color boolits.